ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Arr, mateys! Also Saltmarsh
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Arr, mateys! Also Saltmarsh
    Novice

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:34 am  
    Arr, mateys! Also Saltmarsh

Hey,

My campaign in Saltmarsh has moved into the seas with the upcoming boarding of the Sea Ghost and I have been planning to keep the party seabound a bit longer after that to gain some experience and such - with the Sahuagins in later U modules (and the Evil Tide ideas from the other thread, thank yous for that fellows) and my plan to put some yellow sailed ships on their way at some point I was wondering if there is any (un)official stuff on the seas and such of Greyhawk - pirates, anything to do with seabound adventuring, everything goes.

Also any comments on my general idea of U-series, seabound adventring/sahuagin stuff, Slavers storyline could be useful. :)

-The Gnome
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:16 pm  
    Shiver me timbers!

Aye, here be a few ideas for sailing the great seas...

For unofficial GH sources:

There was a generic 2nd Edition adventure GA1, The Murky Deep, that I placed just off the coast of the Sea Princes that dealt with the recovery of artifacts from a lost, sunken city now filled with sahuagin. I just changed some of the names to reflect a more GH feel (example, the dieties Manannan became Procan, Desarius became Delleb, and the city where this all started from became Seaton). As an adventure it is about average, but gives another shot at undersea adventuring.

Another neat place for a ship to travel to was the great Basic D&D module X1, The Isle of Dread. There have been a few discussions on where to retro fit this island into Oerth (suggested locale is past the eastern border of Hepmonoland).

For Greyhawk specific products:

From the 1983 Greyhawk Boxed Set Glossography was the adventure of the Jungle of Lost Ships, involving a search for a lost treasure fleet, a great seaweed jungle that can tangle up a ship, and the Sulward Assassins' Guild infiltrating your party and setting them up to slay them and take the treasure for themselves.

The From the Ashes Boxed Set had an adventure card in it, The Ghost's Ship that described a sunken pirate vessel now haunted by its former captain.

In that same boxed set was a couple of tales that were sea related: Dolphins in the Bay was set in Relmor Bay, Fog on the Water dealt with pirate Rhennee on the Nyr Dyv, and Death From the Sea had hordes of sea zombies rising from the depths to attack Gradsul.

The Geyhawk Adventures hardback book had two mysterious places, The Sinking Isle and Turucambi that are first rate adventuring ideas. The book included a low level treasure hunt called Diver Down. The book also had many minor magical items that relate to seafaring that can be used to springboard future adventures.

A lot of the initial action in the recent module Slavers is on the waters, both in the Nyr Dyv and in the Wooly Bay. The Scarlet Brotherhood accessory may also prove useful.

Most importantly, by your characters having a ship, they can access many corners of the world. Adventures in the Amedio and Hepmonoland are now possible. The L1 and L2 modules can be reached. etc.

Finally, I'd like to direct you to my article on the sahuagin here on CF for some Scarlet Brotherhood/sahuagin connections.

Most of these modules are available for download on svgames.com. Tracking them down may be half the fun.

Happy gaming!

O-D
    Novice

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:35 pm  

Thanks for the info. :) Why didn't I think of Isle of Dread myself ?

*smacks forehead*

Quote:
    The Geyhawk Adventures hardback book had two mysterious places, The Sinking Isle and Turucambi that are first rate adventuring ideas.

This book was quite high on my to-get list anyway, and now I have a couple of reasons more to get it. Niceness.

Quote:
    A lot of the initial action in the recent module Slavers is on the waters, both in the Nyr Dyv and in the Wooly Bay. The Scarlet Brotherhood accessory may also prove useful.

I looked at the adverts for this one, and it seems like a "direct" sequel to the A series, so I guess it would be not runnable before going through them. But as I am planning to introduce the slavers gradually before A1, I might just as well get this from the local game-store (less than 5 USmoney) and steal ideas from. I understand it's not that heavily plotted, but more of a "here be slavers" type of deal around many places so it could be useful in my way ?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:44 am  

Greyhawk Advventures also had the Stormrider of the Gearnat Sea, a magical ship that was in unknown hands. Could be an extremely elusive pirate ship now...

The yellow sailed ships spark a memory of mine. If I remember correctly they were pirate ships, yes?. Another thing that comes to mind is that I remember that one of the ships had a wizard on board that had an octopus familiar that clung to his shoulder, which to me was a very cool and unique familiar for a pirate wizard to have. I don't know if this was from an adventure or if my DM at the time created it.

If the party has a ship, it could also be hired to transport goods for warring nations, merchants, or it could be hired for exploration by some nation, group of scholars, or a mysterious and wealthy philanthropist(who might be sending the dupes to recovver some seemingly harmless but ultimately evil artifact for themselves!!! Shocked ). You have a lot of options.

---Cebrion

Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:56 pm  

Cebrion the yellow sailed ships r not only pirate ships, they r "property" of the SLAVERS from the omonimous module...and they r really feared in the Nyr-Dyv, and Woolly bay areas.

www.Greyhawk.it

The grey falcon fly in Italy too
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: