JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Drelnza Dead?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Drelnza Dead?
    CF Admin

Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:03 am  
    Drelnza Dead?

This is a bit off topic. But, does anyone treat Drelzna as dead in their campaign? I was browsing through some older adventures, WG6 Isle of the Ape among them. I noted that Drelzna was destroyed, perhaps by the Circle of Eight, in WG6's introduction.

Do any of you guys subscribe to this treatment of Drelzna? Assuming of course, that she was not slain by adventurers in your campaign already if your players played The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

Last edited by Greyson on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:01 pm  

she is still alive... er... undead in my greyhawk game.

Tenser's words... "her beloved daughter was laid low..." could have a number of different connotations, and is not a possitive sign of her permanent destruction... (although I wonder how "beloved" the daughter that you leave sitting in a cave--as in effect a magical trap-- for a century or so is). I prefer to interperate that Iggwilv's daughter (Drelzna) was deafeated, and her treasure vaults plundered... but as to whether this defeat lead to Drelzna's actual destruction or not... I perfer to say that she managed to get away intact (well mostly at least... her stuff probably got snatched with her mom's treauses).
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:55 pm  
    Re: Drelzna Dead?

Greyson wrote:
    This is a bit off topic. But, does anyone treat Drelzna as dead in their campaign? I was browsing through some older adventures, WG6 Isle of the Ape among them. I noted that Drelzna was destroyed, perhaps by the Circle of Eight, in WG6's introduction.

Do any of you guys subscribe to this treatment of Drelzna? Assuming of course, that she was not slain by adventurers in your campaign already if your players played The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

I do not find this a bit off topic but rather a very interesting thread. Don't apologize. You done good!

IMC Drelzna is very much still around and chewing the scenery. Her problem, much like her half-brother, is with mamma. Iggwilv is one of those parents who never want to see their children grow up. No matter how old, successful or powerful they become, they are always her children first. Iggwilv's idea of sending Drelzna to her room to think about what she did was to place in her in Tsojcanth's caverns! IMC, Drelzna persuaded the PCs that she needed to be "rescued" and was freed (the PCs joining the ranks of Robilar in the "DOH!" club Wink ) She is now loose and contending with her mother and half-brother for power. My present campaign is set in Furyondy and surrounds and does not lack for villains. Smile

GVD

Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:33 pm  
    Interesting

Very interesting - thanks for sharing your views, fellas.

I did take WG6 to mean that said vampire-daughter was utterly destroyed by the time PCs got to play Isle of the Ape. I am assuming that if DMs presented old TSR adventures in some semblence of "chronological order," that their players may have faced and slain Drelnza when they played S4. It does not have to be with the same characters, of course, given that the two adventures are what, ten yers apart in publishing?

Anyway, I think that she is a very compelling personality. Not knowing exactly what or who this vampiress's origins are make her more interesting to me. And that's why I ask if anyone else has kept her in his or her campaign. I think that an interesting plot arch can be developed with the under-used Drelnza. And, as GVD noted above, issues with mom can be a central theme. There are some issues and questions regarding the vampiress and her alleged family that can be used to develop a new line of events in Greyhawk.

Given that Iuz, Lerrek, Iggwilv and possibly Graz'zt are all potential players in this family affair, I think that the appearance of an obscure vampiress from the Yatils can have enormous implications for the Flanaess. Of course, a family fued with these relatives will not be an isolated event. Not when you have Furyondy/Veluna, Shield Landers and Horned Society hold-outs slavering on the Old One's borders (and possibly inside them, too). But, she must be "alive" to be of any consequence.

Just a few thoughts. I am really too much of a newbie and novice to make and substantial suggestions, let alone assertions. It takes me out of my usual lurker mode.

Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:12 pm  

In my campaign she was slain by the pc's that delved The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Of course, she is now a candidate for true resurrection!!! Shocked Cool

Off topic, I hate the treatment of Thrommel in RttToEE as it accounts for only one possible outcome in the original adventure. How many people offed him and brought him home for resurrection and atonement on their part(hopefully most good-aligned pc's would)? The room was not hard to find; purposely so as the whole thing was a set-up. In my campaign, the party didn't have the necessary means and were unsure of how to properly deal with the situation, so they decided to let the sunlight do it for them. The situation ovbviously turned out well for all concerned, though they freaked out when the coffin's contents started moving about half way to the outside area!!! Happy

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:18 am  

Well I am currently using Drelzna in my campaign she has a cult started in reverence to her mother in part of Perrenland. She hopes to bring her mother back in a Corporeal form so that they can unrest the power of her brother. She has a great animosity for all males but realizes she must use her charms to persway men to do her bidding. She hopes to build an Empire in which Women would rule and men would be a second class society meeting to the needs of women. She is still trapped in the caves of Tsojcanth but she believes their are but two ways out one is by bringing her mother back to remove the curse the other is by having her brother take her place in the caves. As Drelzna believes it was meant to hold one of blood bound to this place so that the caves can only hold one member of Iggwilv's bloodline. If she can get her brother here fine otherwise only her mother can release her spirit once again.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:31 am  
    Re: Interesting

Greyson wrote:
    Just a few thoughts. I am really too much of a newbie and novice to make and substantial suggestions, let alone assertions. It takes me out of my usual lurker mode.

Nonsense! There is no such thing as being "too much a newbie and novice." That would only apply if it was necessary to validate your opinion with reference to "canon." Such is not the case. Cut loose! You started a really neat thread, IMO.

GVD

Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:19 pm  

I've always liked the idea that Drelnza survived S4 and escaped back into the Flanaess, to wreak havoc upon Iuz, Iggwilv, and the rest of the world. In particular, I like the ambiguity in Tenser's statement on page 6 of WG6:

Quote:
    Know you of Iggwilv? Dead, you thought? Long dead . . . No, not so! She stirs and is much wroth, for her beloved daughter was laid low.

Tenser doesn't specifically name Drelnza, so in some campaigns I've run, he's not referring to her, in fact, and is referring to another, unnamed daughter of Iggwilv who suffered a recent defeat.

As several of you have already noted, "laid low" also doesn't necessarily mean destroyed, so all sorts of family dynamics can come into play here. For more of my speculations, see my S4 page at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_s4.html

PS: note the spelling: D-r-e-l-n-z-a :D

Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:13 am  

We are all dyslexic.

D-R-E-L-N-Z-A

Drelnza.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:48 am  
    How About

Okay, cool.

So what about the following:

Assume Drelnza is alive, as it appears in various campaigns from most of the posts above. OJ 13 suggests a lot of her personal belongings are with Lerrek, somewhere in the Vesve Forest. If Drelnza were to emerge from hiding, would she try to catch up with Lerrek and take up a friendly relationship with dad? Then, would the two of them exact some sort of revenge on the Old One, whom I bet niether of them likes? Is that within the realm of possibility?

Would Iggwilv express any concern? What do you suppose she would do? Assist Iuz or her daughter? Or stay out of it?

Cebrion, I have not ignored your thoughts on Thrommel. That issue derserves its own thread - one wh shoudl get to in earnest.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:47 am  

in my game Drelnza, after her escape from destruction at the lost caverns, has taken over the gnome vale, and turned all of the inhabitants into either vampires or vampire spawn (based upon thier level), there she plots and schemes, trying to find a way to recapture perrenland in a resurgent continuation of her mothers kingdom.

In my game Iggwilv has not made any attempts to conact Drelnza, and thus the vampiress is unsure of her mothers fate, but assumes her to be dead most likely... Drelnza also has no desire to seek out her father (IMC she doesn't know who her father was, and assumes that he too is long dead), and no real desire to have anything (good or bad) to do with her half-brother Iuz... she is focused upon the task that she has set for herself...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:12 pm  

Quote:
    Know you of Iggwilv? Dead, you thought? Long dead . . . No, not so! She stirs and is much wroth, for her beloved daughter was laid low.

Now I know this doesn't mention Drelnza by name, or explicitly state that she is dead, but I think it's the clear implication. Obviously this background can be changed if in your campaign Drelnza is still alive. Drelnza's relationship with Iggwilv is free to customization as well, but it should be considered that nowhere is a negative relationship implied. Just the opposite seems to be hinted at in my opinion. Nowhere have Drelnza's views of her mother been expressed, but in the above quote Drelnza is referred to as Iggwilv’s ‘beloved daughter’ and Iggwilv is not happy about Drelnza being slain, and in S4, Drelnza is referred to as Iggwilv's "treasure".
    Scott
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:17 pm  

In my last campaign, Drelnza did survive the encounter with the party in S4. I had plans to reunite her with Ghorkai, the dragon Iggwilv bred to be her steed as detailed by EGG in the Slayers Guide to Dragons, but so far nothing has come of it.
    Scott
    CF Admin

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:04 pm  
    Interesting

cwslyclgh wrote:
    in my game Drelnza, after her escape from destruction at the lost caverns, has taken over the gnome vale, and turned all of the inhabitants into either vampires or vampire spawn (based upon thier level), there she plots and schemes, trying to find a way to recapture perrenland in a resurgent continuation of her mothers kingdom.

Wes, does Drelnza have knowledge of the Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, since she's in the area? Adventurers are called upon to rest said temple from a giantish owner. What is her inclination regarding that fell place in your campaign, if any?

That's too bad about the gnomes. But, they are an isolated group.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:22 pm  

it is likely that she has some knowledge of the Temple... at the very least awareness of its existance if not its exact location... however her thoughts upon what to do in regards to it are unclear at this time...If she thinks that the Temple can offer her some sort of advantage in the conquering of Perrenland it is probable that she will seek to gain that advantage at some time in the future... if however she deems that there is nothing profitable to be gained from it, then she is likely to simplt ignore the temple, or perhaps even use it as a diversion, funneling adventurers who are keen on stopping her plans there through guile and trickery.
    CF Admin

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:05 pm  

Sounds like a good plan, Wes---not enough villains set up wild goose chases for their nemeses :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: