Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - "Grass Elves"?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    "Grass Elves"?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:52 am  
    "Grass Elves"?

Hi!

I've been recently reading Queen of the Demonweb Pits by Paul Kidd (at last I bought it through Amazon... the only way to have Greyhawk-related things in Italy... Confused), and I read the Justicar was raised by the "Grass Elves" living in the Bandit Kingdoms...

Does anybody have info on these new (?) elven subrace?

Thanks in advance. Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:37 am  
    !WARNING!

Canoneers,

If anyone dares to respond to this thread using the words "Keebler", "munchies" or "Hemp Elves", they may be visited by a very unhappy "Lude" fairy--a subspecies of the Tooth Fairy--and find an "invitation" to John Ashcroft's going away "Old-Fashioned-Revival-Tour" under thier pillow!

Protecting "Grass Elves" and other strains of faerie everywhere,

most sincerely,

Fairylover

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:10 am  
    I'm Guessing

I don't know who the Grass Elves are. But I am willing to guess until someone posts something more substantive (and documented).

When I read Kidd's Queen of the Demonweb Pits novel, I wondered the same thing - who are the Grass Elves? My guess is that they are sylvan elves from the Fellreev Forest. In the book, I imagined them as elves that moved out of the forest, south into the plains, to fight Iuz. And the moniker Grass Elves was applied by the forces fighting with and against them - a nickname to distinguish these particular elves amongst the various elements fighting the Old One.

Or, Paul Kidd could have simply made the term up to make Evelyn's mentor more special.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:01 pm  

When I first read the post and until Greyson responded, I thought Grass Elves might've been an Italian translation. I haven't read the novel, I tend to shy from novelizations of GH. Grass Elves hmm. Yes I would need to know the context better, seems like artistic license at work again. The root of so much GH author derision. :P
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:47 pm  
    One wee little comment

Awww c'mon Fairylover just one umm little comment. "Grass Elves" brings up a vision of a group of little fellows sitting in a circle around a bonfire, with Bob Marley playing in the background.. "C'mon on mon pass the cookies im hoongry"

The Maraudar
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:29 am  

Snoochie boochies!! Grass Elves! Followers of the Five-fold Leaf!!!

Well , I actually read the novel and the "Grass Elves" are sort of plains dwelling elves. They are adept at seemingly hiding in the middle of nowhere- the the middle of the plains. They do not say "How!" in greeting or like the fire-water. ;) Think Marine Corps snipers in gilly suits, except that these elves are just so damn good at it that they don't always need to use such a thing as a gilly suit. They also dig into the ground and hide themselves with the sod. They excel as scouts in particular. They also excel at hit-and-run tactics, harrying the forces of Iuz, those of Maskaleyne if I remember correctly. They seem to be either Wood Elves or High Elves in basis- they favor more woodsy tactics, but favor swords and bows. I'd choose ranger as their favored class. In the story, the Justicar trains with them for a while, he being a ranger/justicar.

As to the quality of the various Greyhawk books of this time period, they are so-so. Each has at least one or more good ideas in them though. Return to the Tomb of Horrors has some interesting things in it, the main character in particular if you happen to like the Greyhawk Wars and heroes of Furyondy in particular. Keep an open mind and you might find some things of interest. Is it Shakespeare? No, but don't expect the best story you have ever read and you won't be too disappointed, if at all.
    The newest "little" novels are pretty lackluster though. Supposedly set in the default campaign setting of Greyhawk, this series is pretty watered down with regards to being linked to Greyhawk. The geographical areas presented in the story are no-name and are usually not very detailed- a missed chance to really bring them to life in print. Decent ideas are few and far between. I do not recommend them. Brutal but true.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:59 am  

Grass Elves, most definatly a translation thing (if the book you have is in italian). Or it is just something that Paul Kidd made up. Either way, I'd love to see any thoughts or a write up.

.........................Omote
    FPQ

Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:24 am  

It might be a teaser for upcoming work. The Italian word for grass is "erba"; wood is "legno"; green is "verde"; grey is "grigio".
    Maybe they are a subtype of Elves with arboriphobia.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:44 am  

Thank you for the reply, but don't be troubled with the translation: I read it in English.
    As I said, I ordered it by Amazon. Do you think I'd bothered paying 5,99 in shipping costs, if it was published in Italian? Wink

Quote:
    And the moniker Grass Elves was applied by the forces fighting with and against them - a nickname to distinguish these particular elves amongst the various elements fighting the Old One.

I think this is the most probable reason.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: