JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Greynet Servers Neverwinter Nights
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play
    Greyhawk Greynet Servers Neverwinter Nights
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:10 pm  
    Greyhawk Greynet Servers Neverwinter Nights

Well, I guess I get the honor of being the first post here. Happy I thought I would post something here since this site has such a great groupof Greyhawk Fans on it. I thought perhaps some might be interested a bit in this news. There is a project called "Greynet" that is in the process of connecting several Neverwinter Nights servers together in an attempt to create as much of the Flanaess as possible. We currently are in the final stages of linking our servers together right now and hope to have everything completed within the next few weeks. Currently we have 2 servers already linked together with the 3rd needing to have the player character vault hooked in to be able to share pc's with the others. Our servers currently cover portions of Veluna, Verbobonc, Sunndi, Medegia, Rel Astra, the Lendore Isles, The Spine Ridge, and some small islands located in the Aerdi Sea. Our servers currently have approx. 1500 areas to explore. Although the servers are running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week our focus is more on Dm run adventures and role playing rather than just mindless hack-n-slash. Below is a link to the homepage of the server I am head of. There is a great deal more information about the servers to be found there, especially in our forum.

http://www.greyhawklords.com/

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:56 am  

I love NWN, and the above sounds amazingly interesting. I've owned the game (platinum) for about 3 months. Haven't seen it for a oupla weels. My ranger is maybe 5th level and I had just gotten out of the starting city last time I played.

At any rate, It's easy to see the potential behind the game and why 1,000s of people play it religiously.

Now, if I could just find time to play it... Wink

Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:19 am  
    NWN

Yeah, I know the feeling. It's pretty easy to get swamped in all sorts of real world events, without worrying about video games... ;). I think another part of the attraction is that once you find a good online server that you like many people seem to become addicted to it from what I have seen. If you ask me they are so much more fun and interesting than the official Bioware campaigns as well.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:55 am  

heh, I know the addiction end of it all too well.

I was an EverQuest (crack) addict for 5 years, bleh!

Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:41 am  

Hey, I had seen your site carries a link to Canonfire. We appreciate that! Happy

If you'd like a return servide you can click on "Links" in the top menu bar, below the site banner and then click "add link." It will be reviewed by the staff and added, thereafter.

Our links section doesn't get much attention, but it's better than nothing Wink

Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:13 pm  
    heck

Heck yeah, I and lots of folks from over there check out this place quite often. You have a great source of good old Greyhawk Info on here. If I need to find something out about Greyhawk this is my first stop.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:32 am  

Guess Im going to have to head over and actually check out NWN. Sounds intresting. Now if I could find the time to play would be another matter altogether (Blame the wife its her fault Cool )

Maraudar
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:23 pm  
    stop on over

You are most welcome to stop on over. :D That is anytime you can sneak away from the wife which can be a bit tough. Wink If you do I am the DM Heironeous on the servers. Stop in and say Hi. :D

Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:38 pm  

I was excited to get on to a GH server after finally getting the game but was grossly disappointed in the experience once connected.

Your attempts to force players into 'realistic' options, not to mention the bad design of the cities and NPC's, was a major let down.

The game is meant to be fun, not an exercise in the DM's wanton power-mongering control over the world. Relax your restrictions to something remotely reasonable, and improve the design of the cities and NPC's to actually reflect Greyhawk instead of your hacked-up version of it, and it might actually have some people on it occassionally. Otherwise, it'll remain at zero like it is every time I log into GameSpy, which is often.
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:19 pm  

Delglath wrote:
    I was excited to get on to a GH server after finally getting the game but was grossly disappointed in the experience once connected.

Are you sure you were on the Greyhawk Lords server?

I'm not involved with it anymore (hi Heironeous, remember me?), but as a former DM/Builder from before Heironeous "got" the mod from its originator Ulrich, I know how much work has gone into it.

You would probably not believe the amount of hours it takes to develop a detailed 10x10 area.

The "restrictions" you reference really don't have a negative effect on the game.

EDITED BY DETHAND 15:58 13-3-05
    CF Admin

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:57 pm  

Hey,

Just wanted to say that while I dont play NWN and dont really know what the fuss is about, these forums are for discussion and debate about the use of Greyhawk in online games. Keep it positive and constructive, even when someone elses opinion seems to differ from yours.

Thanks

Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:31 pm  
    a little late to reply

I've been a bit busy in real life here lately so I know this post is a bit late, but oh well. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the server when you showed up but I will have to respectfully disagree with you on your points. Is it 100% cannon, no not really possible I suppose due to the history of how the server came into being. A long story, and not one I really feel like writing a book to explian. As for the restrictions and server rules, they are our house rules and no one is forced to play them. What they are good for though is preventing every swinging **** and Jane from running around with all sorts of uber monty haulish gear, so I really dont have any intentions of removing them. Sorry, you didnt think so. As for the layout of the cities and the npcs your post is pretty vague really to even really discuss that. All I can really think of for this comment is that you dont like that we dont have all the server set up for scripted quests to be done. If that is the case there isnt now, and never really has been any interest in doing so as our philosophy is that things should be more DM run than by a set of nonchanging scripts. While scripted events are find they can never replace a living and breathing DM possessing the NPC's and giving them life. Maybe with a little more in the way of comments other than "things suck"..lol, we could discuss what you didn't like.

As for the server being empty all the time I really beg to differ. We never have aimed at being the largest world out there. What we do aim at is a small close knit community though, which we have and is going strong. And as to the empty comment, perhaps that could be since you are on the opposite side of the planet from pretty much all of our players. Unfortunate, but not really anything that can be done about it. While you reside in Australia, almost all of our players live in the central part of the United States. So, while you play our players are either at work or in bed.

Anyway, I sorry you didn't enjoy the server but then it was never intended to appeal to all manner of players. I'm sure you'll find one more to your liking eventually, as our players have on our server.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:13 pm  

i see this topic hasn't been updated in a while, so i'll post here for the record. =)

I have been to Greyhawk Lords, and thought it was a well put together project. I played and built for a greyhawk based server that isn't part of the greyhawk lords project, called "The Borderlands" (no relation to "Keep on the Borderlands"... anyway, recently I have started undertaking a new persistent world, using my experince with the Borderlands as a base, and trying to adapt the RPGA's Living Greyhawk Rules into a Neverwinter Nights Server.

if you have never played Living Greyhawk, then you may fing the rules a bit more restricting compared to typical NWN servers, but the audience for the server isn't really for the typical NWN player, but instead aimed at the LG player who also playes NWN.

the server is set in the Sheldomar Valley, with Shiboleth as the starting location and will eventually emcompass as much of the Sheldomar Valley as possible, though at first I am only working on the territory in a triangular area between Shibolent, Hochoch and Buxton's Crossing.

most of the wilderness regions will be around the Rushmoors and the eastern Dim Forrest (with of coarse, Fort Endurance smack there in the middle)

the Server isn't yet in a shape to be posted yet, but when it eventually goes Beta and gets hosted on more than a once in a blue moon state, i will certainly post an update...

...i don't exactly know how well this Sheldomar Valley mod will fit in with the rest of the greynet project, but that certainly may be something to chat about at a later date.

consider this sort of an advancer, and i'll post an update when i get this sucker in a more presentable form. there is a bioware guild set up for an overview of the rules, etc... at

http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=12821

good hunting, everyone!

~Kona/EBM/Krivoklat
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: