JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Lynwerd to be a Father
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Lynwerd to be a Father
    CF Admin

Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:54 pm  
    Lynwerd to be a Father

King Lynwerd's wife, Lady Xenia, is expecting a child. I hope it's Lynwerd's!

Check out the thread HERE

Share your thoughts. I think there are too many chefs in the proverbial Living Greyhawk kitchen.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:14 pm  

You were at the LG Interactive? Just how interactive was this? Wink

Seriously though, it seems like a good storyline to me, although I barely know of anything that goes on in LG until either it shows up on the RPGA site or posted on a forum. What is your concern with too many chefs? Do you think this oversteps the campaign in some way?
    CF Admin

Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:23 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    You were at the LG Interactive? Just how interactive was this?

If I catch your meaning, Mortellan, not interactive enough! lol.

I think the Nyrond folks focused on the wrong post-war era issue. More pressing issues are presented in Midmeadow with characters like Grishken and Zylinchin. The whole issue of Lesser Nyrond and the infiltration of the Pale and simmering conflict with the League of Valorous Blindness are more interesting and pertinent.

There is also Almor and its potential with Onyxgate. Where is Duke Szeffrin? What of the remnants of his forces? Chathold is a byword now.

Another area of potentially high stakes development is the border with Grennel, the Adri and Xavener in the east. What, no threat exists on that border?

While the king's girlfriend is certainly a sweet human interest story, so much attention on her distracts from the regions greater potential. But, like a loyal Living Greyhawker, I played every adventure associated with this Xenia plotline. *sigh*

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:46 am  

Not to belittle the issues that you brought up Greyson, but in a feudal monarchy, the succession is one of a king's primary concerns. After all, in the real world, Henry VIII of England created a whole new church just to ensure that that he had a male heir (well and to remove the bothersome influence of the Papacy in English affairs of state, as well as the other kind of affairs).

When it comes down to it, a good king should do two things - leave the realm better than he found it, and leave a strong heir to pass it on to.

From Lynwerd's perspective, ensuring the succession is a vital priority. If he dies without an heir of his own blood, then his brother Swedarnt (sp?) becomes king. As many of the Nyrondese nobility and churches are likely to resist Swedarnt's accession, the possibility of civil war looms large, with Nyrond coming apart at the seams (and with it the hopes of the goodly kingdoms of the Flanaess east of the Nyr Dyv). Even if he did take the throne unopposed, King Sewdarnt would be a disaster from Lynwerd's point of view.

Even if Xenia produces a son, Nyrond isn't out of the woods until he reaches majority. A long regency would not be good for Nyrond, especially with the concerns you mentioned - the threat from the Pale (now receded somewhat since the Theocract has unleashed his refulgent legions upon the Stonelands of Tenh), the North Kingdom (where the alliegences of the tiny County of Knurl are of interest to three kingdoms), the legacy of Almor and the rising power of Ahlissa. Not to mention the continued threat of Swedarnt lurking about, acting as a focus for seditous forces.
    Little wonder the people of Nyrond, be they magnates or smallfolk must be praying daily for Lynwerd's continued good health. :)

On a similar note, the future of Furyondy is far from bright once Belvor pops his kingly clogs...

P.
    CF Admin

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:02 pm  

Two things:

First, a speculative generalization is that the LG triads didn't coordinate well initially and thereafter attempted to but have done so in fits and starts. Hence, the several plots requiring inter-relationship haven't been created.

Feel free to correct me.

Second, I've been imagining plots regarding the Highlander March of the Great Kingdom of Northern Aerdy. I'd love to create an adventure (or series) to feature the intrigues between Innspa, the County of Knurl, the Barony of Redfalls, the noniz of the Flinty Hills, the Adri Forest and nearby places...
    CF Admin

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:55 pm  
    I understand

Hey, all. And thanks for the responses.

I certainly understand Paul's point regarding succession and (legitimate) heirs. Those were indeed pressing matters for real dynasties and other myriad figures in history.

But, in the fantasy world of Greyhawk, I really think that marriage and heirs should be subordinate to broader campaign issues. Perhaps Birthright is better suited to detailed stories and events revolving around the king's family matters. But in Greyhawk's Nyrond, I hope to see more focus on those places and issues noted above. Namely, Almor; Grennel and Xavener; The Pale, Midmeadow and Valorous League; Sewarnt's betrayal, dissention and possible rebellion; the shattered army and stagnant economy; Iuz in the northwest; etcetera.

I must admit, there is a Xenia hook in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer's Nyrond entry. So our triad took it. But man, there is a mountain of potential more suited to adventurers ringing Nyrond's border - and about as much within. I just think that in Greyhawk's fantasy setting, there are more compelling possibilites for sword and sorcery than Lynwerd's wife and offspring. He and Lady Xenia are important background. They make good dressing. But they should not be at the fore of Nyrond plots and themes.

But this is a good discussion - thanks again, guys.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: