Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Rivalry between Gods?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Rivalry between Gods?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:59 pm  
    Rivalry between Gods?

Hello Everyone,

So I'm doing some research for my campaign and I'm curious, why do Ehlonna and Obad-hai have such a rival? Maybe I'm missing something painfully obvious Embarassed , but can you good folks help me out? Thanks a bunch.

I Miss the Wild Coast,
    Dwarf from Nyrond

PS- did I mention how much I like the new Greyhawk map from Dungeon?
    Master Greytalker

Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:18 pm  

As I see it, they have very similar portfolios but very different agendas.

They both are gods of nature and have allies and worshippers among forst folk (loggers, trappers, hunters, elves, woodsmen, etc.). But they do not like each other or work together. Because of this, they cannot share their "base", rather they have to compete for them. Worshipppers, but also allies...druids, fey creatures, etc.

Druid of Ehlonna:
    Say grugach tribe, can you help me recover a magic item that is in the defiled lands?

Grugach Tribe:
    We already helped the Obad-hai druid look for something last week, and it got two of us killed. Move along, sister.

As far as why they can't cooperate, they have essentially different outlooks. Obad-hai is pure neutral and cares about Balance, and the balance of nature, more than any particular person.

Ehlonna is neutral good. While she cares about nature, she also cares about the sentient creatures that inhabit nature, and seeks a way to have them interact in a balance that is beneficient for both.

Add on to that the opposite outlook of young maiden vs, old man.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:06 pm  

The Manual of Planes places them in different planes. Ehlonna is in the Beastlands plane (mildly good) and Obad-Hai is in the Outland plane (neutral). It goes on to suggest that they are rivals.
    Quote:
    Ehlonna believes in a beneficial nature, tranquil and bountiful. Obad-Hai believes in the primacy of natural selection and nature as an uncaring, non-judgemental reckoner of worth.
    MoP p 143, 150

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:40 am  

Quote:
    Ehlonna believes in a beneficial nature, tranquil and bountiful. Obad-Hai believes in the primacy of natural selection and nature as an uncaring, non-judgemental reckoner of worth.

This seems similar to a rivalry that should exist between Boccob (uncaring) and Wee Jas. Or maybe even Nerull and Wee Jas as well! Hmm come to think of it, doesn't Delleb kind of stick his nose up to Lydia's know-it-allness. And even conservative Pholtus is put off by Lydia's liberal use of daylight. Then there's Mhyriss, she is good looking but that Phyton thinks he is all that too. Never get in the middle of a quarrel between Joramy and Erythnul. Allitur is always badgering Bralm about ethics in the workplace and lastly never EVER sit in on a poker game with Rudd, Norebo and Ralishaz! Men and women, cats and dogs. Mortal and Immortal. Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:31 pm  
    rivals

Another huge godly rivalry would be the emnity between Heironeous and Hextor. Those two brothers have a huge one going on between them. Heck, it is even rumored that Hextor choose to promote and champion the cause of a Lawful Evil war god just to spite Heironeous in his goal of honorable and just warfare.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:31 pm  
    rivals

oops....double posted somehow

Last edited by geoffrey on Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:24 pm  

Getting back to Ehlonna and Obad-hai, view of civilization.

Ehlonna optimistic philosophy:
    Ehlonna sees civilization as a beneficial alternative to wild wilderness which tends to harbour the more violent humanoids. Ehlonna priesthood generally feels that through cooperation and education, that civilization and nature can co-exist, races can be taught to respect and protect the natural world.

Obad-hai pessimistic philosophy:
    Druids of Obad-hai sees civilization as a threat to nature, if not strictly controlled, knowing that the "civilized races" mining, farming and logging can destroy nature as easily as the viciousness of the humanoids. The Druids of Obad-hai have little faith in the civilized races love of nature vs the consumption of needed resources. Their mistrust also explains the friendly relations with the "Fey Creatures" and the Grugach Tribes who share their view of civilization.

Druids of Ehlonna see the Druids of Obad-hai as heartless and inflexible while the Driuds of Obad-hai see the the Druids of Ehlonna as naive and foolish.

That is my take...hope it helps.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:11 am  

Some interesting notes on Ehlonna and Obad-hai. Personally, i took the Greek gods Diana and Dionysos and used them as templates for Ehlonna and Obad-hai. I'm pretty sure that Gygax got the inspiration for Obad-hai from The Green Man, but who really knows but Gary himself. The way i did it in my campaign is simply this: the druids of Ehlonna are goody-goods who are always meddling and trying to make things better while the druids of Obad-hai are more reclusive and try to get to the bottom of things before stepping in overtly.

The great animosity in my campaign was between St. Cuthbert and Obad-hai. I portrayed Obad-hai's religion as an ecstasy cult all about wild carnal pleasures in the forest and happiness (a.k.a. hippies). While the church of St. Cuthbert were more like Puritans trying to stamp out evil and debauchery and making people conform to their standards of morality.

The Grey Mouser

P.S. has anyone seen Fafhrd?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:41 pm  

The way my GH DM used to do differentiate between the two was Ehlonna's Druids acted more like Rangers, and Obad Hai's Rangers acted more like Druids.
    My opinion is Obad Hai is about the preservation of nature, Ehlonna wants to enjoy it and Phyton wants to dominate it.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:21 am  
    Interesting

Hello Folks,

Thank you for your input, it helps me better explain the setting to my players. I appreciate all of your help.

Hmmm, what a pretty map,
    Dwarf from Nyrond
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: