Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Green Ronin prodcuts?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Green Ronin prodcuts?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:38 pm  
    Green Ronin prodcuts?

Anyone use the GR Drow book or Wood elf book in Greyhawk?

Mike
    CF Admin

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:15 pm  

Mike, I just traded some books with Matt Goodman at DunDraCon, and one fo the titles I got was the drow book. I'll let you know my thoughts when I've had a chance to check the book out in more detail.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:57 am  

grodog wrote:
    Mike, I just traded some books with Matt Goodman at DunDraCon, and one fo the titles I got was the drow book. I'll let you know my thoughts when I've had a chance to check the book out in more detail.

ok thanks. I just picked up the wood elf village book. I'm thinking of setting the village in the Dim Forest in my campaign based on the LG triad work from Geoff and the Grand March.

Mike
    CF Admin

Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:57 pm  
    Races of Renown: Bow & Blade

Hi folks. I enjoyed much of Races of Renown: Bow & Blade, but I've not used it in a campaign. I especially like the attempts to represent distinctive and internally diverse sylvan elf magickal, martial, and musical traditions, e.g., the lifeweaver, speardancer, and wildsinger. The elemental elves and new wood elf religion failed to substantially interest me. The new equipment seemed on point.

I've read The Village of Corwyl and found it highly interesting, with an even more distinctive magickal tradition--incorporating and evolving Green Ronin's The Shaman's Handbook.

Allan, if you read this, please do share your thoughts about the drow book.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:04 pm  

From Green Ronin there are two Drow books: "Plot & Poison: A Guidebook to the Drow" and "Dezzavold: Fortress of the Drow".

I haven't looked at either book in a few months, but both are worth picking up. Plot and Poison has some interesting takes on drow society, plus some crunchy bits of interest. Erelhei Cinlu certainly deserves the level of treatment that is presented in Dezzavold, though I don't see the details of Dezzavold being used to represent Erelhei Cinlu. Dezzavold drops nicely into Greyhawk as a nicely detailed second drow city.

I also recommend "Bastards & Bloodlines" for all of the freaky stuff it contains. The material presented therein very easily adapts to representing either weird half-breeds found in the Underdark, Blackmoor, or other exotic locales, or for representing the magically created cross-breeds of the Scarlet Brotherhood. It's always great to throw something unique at the player(s) who think they have seen everything. The entire "Master Class" series is exceptional.

Green Ronin has put out some high quality d20books. I'd rank them among the top three producers of second-party of d20 material. Very consistent quality.

Wed May 10, 2017 4:41 pm  

I Second Cebrion's praise for the Green Ronin books. They range from awesome to thought provoking.

I have a few of the master class books: Noble, Shaman, and witch. I was highly interested in them all but each one seems weak compared to PHB classes, and really weak when looking at the pathfinder classes. Each of the classes were much stronger than the NPC classes.

The Noble class was cool, but I do not see any of my players, playing this as you can also play a PHB or other class and still be a noble and roleplay a portion of what the class provides. The Witch is almost identical to the one found in the 3.0 & 3.5 DMGs with a couple of extra abilities in the master class book. I did not however compare the spell lists recently. The last time I looked would have been a few years ago. The class and fluff was cool but not on quite on par with the wizard or sorcer. The Shaman class was thought proving, but would require a good bit of extra work from the DM. So it would not be an easy adoption to my campaign.

Qstar, I also placed Corwyl in the Western Dim forest, using the LG story arcs as a guide. Speaking of Corwyl, this book was awesome. I was blown away. If you find it, pick it up. One of my players is using one of the classes from this book. I really wish I could find some more books done this well, with a town or village, for other races, even other evlish races.

Bow and Blade was not nearly as useful to me, for many of the same reasons mtg pointed out. The classes were good, and I liked the Elvish hounds, magic and the fluff. The elemental elves and new religions did nothing to help my home GH campaign. Elvish gods are thoroughly coverd in GH, and by my count there are already Eight GH elvish races. I can not see adding an elemental elf without a much stronger back story and tie to GH.

I skimed Wrath and Rage if you want to tweak out some Orcs.

Dezzavold was pretty good. It is along the same lines as Corwyl.
    Spoiler Alert>>

The stories of Dezzavold and Corwyl are intertwined.

Spoiler Over>>
    This book was not as useful to me but will probably be added to my home campaign, but I will change some of the plot and characters in it.

I picked up Hammer and Helm, as my first Green Ronin book, as I like dwarves. I liked the classes, templates, equipment, the way the book was laid out and particualy the fluff so much, that I picked up more of thier
    books.
    Side note: I also really enjoyed the Skull and Bones age of piracy book. Think historical with a little clasic hollywood action, and a little "Pirates of the Caribean", thrown in.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: