Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Is Godsday a public holiday like Freeday?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Is Godsday a public holiday like Freeday?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:04 am  
    Is Godsday a public holiday like Freeday?

Just wondering if Godsday is a public holiday. I mean, it's clear Freeday is a public holiday and it's also easy to relate to -- it's like a lazy Sunday (Earth Sunday, that is!) in the real world.

A public holiday in the middle of the week takes a little getting used to, however . . . So I just wanted to confirm with the GH gurus if Godsday was a public holiday for Oerth folks.

Thanks.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:06 am  

Your point about a midweek holiday is well taken. I find it jarring.

IMC, I have rearranged the weekdays so that the two "off days" are back to back - a weekend.

Of course, not everyone gets to not work both days. Particularly in agricultural areas, you work until the work is done.

But a weekend feels sufficiently "natural," and the "benefits" of splitting up the weekend are sufficiently slight, IMO, that I think violating sacred "canon" Wink is more than justified. I find the "canon" arrangement of days a "Greyhawk goof," IMO. Smile

GVD

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:20 am  

Quote:
    Of course, not everyone gets to not work both days. Particularly in agricultural areas, you work until the work is done.

I love how Sargent, in the opening pages of WGR7, details the life of a serf, or peasant farmer.

He explains their alignment as NE, Nuetrally Exhausted, and too over-worked to maintain a set value of anything other than hard work.

Great read...

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:51 am  

Just as background, in case it is not common knowledge, most of our real world days are named after gods.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:24 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    IMC, I have rearranged the weekdays so that the two "off days" are back to back - a weekend.

Thanks for that. I might just do the same Smile

Another GH goof, I think was the day called "Sunday".

I can see their intentions, but it's just too confusing for us Earth-folk who have Sunday as a holiday at the end of the week (as opposed to being a working day at the beginning of the week on Oerth).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: