JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Wilderlands & Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Wilderlands & Greyhawk
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:37 pm  
    Wilderlands & Greyhawk

For how old these settings are, I'm always surprised there isn't more cross pollination. What Judges Guild modules and Wilderlands material have y'all used and what changes did you make?

And are there any connections (official or apocryphal) besides these?:

1) In the novel Queen of the Demonweb Pits, Paul Kidd drops Tegel Manor somewhere in the western Flanaess (309).

2) Frank Mentzer based early incarnations of Aquaria (R4) on the Wilderlands of High Fantasy maps' Valon section:
    https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=66966&p=1533593&hilit=wilderlands#p1533593

3) Gygax put some Blackmoor in Greyhawk and Arneson put some of Blackmoor in the Wilderlands. If I understand correctly, Greyhawkers using any of the Valley of the Ancients are, in fact, using some Wilderlands.

4) I suspect the occasional GH references to an ancient retile civilization are inspired by Caverns of Thracia. Are there any obvious or concrete connections on this topic?

5) Early D&D & JD materials share some real-world gods, like Set.

IMC, I've used three JD products to date (if any of my players still come here, STOP reading):

I've played the Illhedron Book out in Ratik. The Book itself being a key to lost "Suel glyph magic", inspired by the rules for Nordic runes that have worked their way into D&D over the years (HR1, GAZ7, C&C's Rune Lore & Codex Nordica, the ASSH class, Jaquay's DQ1, etc, etc, etc.)

The Thieves Fortress of Badabaskor is a legendary Bandit Kingdom's stronghold near the Rift Canyon (it would also work well for Griffon's Nest described in WGR3, bothering both Urnst and Rary).

The Citadel of Fire is on the Thillonrian Peninsula near the Sable Wood and is the last, LAST redoubt of the Ur Flan. After the Ur Flan's ultimate defeat at the Isle of Lost Souls, Nrathax the Black fled to the north and raised his tower with demonic aid. I converted the 3.5 version of CoF and replaced the priests of Kutalabold with those of Telchur. The Oeridian followers of the Ice Man struck an unlikely alliance with the Ur Flan of the tower long ago to maintain Vatun's prison, stymie efforts to unite the Blades of Corusk, and contain the Suel menace. Basically, I'm using CoF to replace Slade's worthless WGS2 and lead into my homebrew WGS3.
    GreySage

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:05 pm  

Here's an earlier thread: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8639
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:57 pm  

Nice map, Rasgon!

I thought I remembered that thread and maybe another. I try to avoid redundant threads, but the forum search gave me the usual debug error, so I gave up and created a new topic.

What else is out there?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: