JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Specific Question
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Specific Question
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:03 pm  
    Specific Question

Relating to the town of Highport (mentioned below in the Wild Coast post), is that really an orcish city in the month of Ready'reat, year 582? I have a party about to descend on it; is there any chance it's just a pirate town? Or, if it is Orcish, does the name of the town indicate an orcish navy? Any thoughts, or has this been discussed on this board already (in which case, can someone please send me a link?). Thanks.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:26 am  

The orcs and other humanoids, having been driven out of the Lortmils during the Hateful Wars, fled to the Pomarj where they eventually captured the city of Highport in CY 513(11th of Planting). The city has been ruled by orcs ever since. It is a haven for the worst scum of the Flanaess and contains temples to most of the evil gods of Oerth, with an emphasis on orcish and other humanoid deities. There are many evil humans and half-breeds in Highport, particularly pirates and mercenaries, though regular trade occurs at the port still and the captains who dock there are ever watchful of their cargo and men. There is not an organized naval force, though the orcs probably crew a few ships and have many pirate captains that would aid them for their own benefit as well.

Under Turrosh Mak the city has become slightly more orderly. The forces of Turrosh Mak enter the Greyhawk Wars late during that conflict during CY 582, so Highport and the rest of the Pomarj should be firmly in his grasp. Humanoids and evil men roam the streets preying on the unwary or weak looking. It is a lawless place, a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Demi-humans better remain out of sight, as the majority of Highport's inhabitants considers them to be food. Some of the humans and humanoids in Highport are simply tradesmen or merchants who run taverns, supply shops, and other places neccessary for the survival of the city's inhabitants. Not all of them are even evil. Some are neutral and a rare few are even good in alignment. They just aren't very picky about their clientele. Highport still remains a very nasty place though.

You should have a lot of fun running the pc's through this place.

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:23 am  

Thanks Cebrion. They're to meet a ranger there who can guide them into the Drachensgrabs (hey, I give them plenty of latitude to steer the campaign, and sometimes they do silly things). Since the one they're is an NPC I'm creating, I'm glad I asked - was thinking about making the ranger a female half-elf, but sounds like a human male is a lot more plausable...
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:45 am  

The dates I quoted are general dates taken from the "From the Ashes" boxed set. I wouldn't put it beyond somebody here at CF having even more exacting details of events in the Pomarj during the Greyhawk Wars, and possibly detailed articles on life in the Pomarj or Highport. Do a topic search.

My information regarding daily life in Highport comes mostly from the adventure "Slavers" which is set mainly in the Pomarj, Highport, and the Wild Coast. If you don't have a copy of this adventure, I'd recommend it for the wealth of background material which covers everything from the Cult of the Dragon and agents of the Slave Lords, to the various humanoid tribes of the Pomarj. Hard copies will have to found on e-bay most likely, while the file is available for download at svgames.com for a cost of about $5.00 US.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:24 am  

But isn't Slavers a rip-off of the old Scourge of the Slavelords module from 1st edition? Or is there anything new and useful in it? I actually have Scourge buried somewhere at home, but I'm living in New York City now and didn't take most of my adventures with me - will have to dig it up the next time I get home...
    CF Admin

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm  

Slavers expands upon the original modules A1, A2, A3, and A4, and doesn't draw as much from the supermodule A1-4 (which squeezed the A-series into a mega series as the middle of T1-4/A1-4/GDQ1-7). Slavers expands upon and builds out the original materials from the original four slavers modules, and offers various interesting possibilities for expansion of them. Well-worth checking out if you're a fan of the original modules.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: