Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - How far is it in miles across the Flanaess
How far is it in miles across the Flanaess

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EileenProphetofIstus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: How far is it in miles across the Flanaess Reply with quote

How many miles is it east to west and north to south across the Flanaess? How many times would it fit into the mainland 48 US states?
Saracenus
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is am image floating around the internet that has the Oerik continent superimposed over a map of our Earth, I am ashamed to admit I didnít save it to my computer or bookmark it. If I see it, I will post it up.
Saracenus
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I post up on how I cannot find it and it pops right up on my Deviant Art feed... sigh.

The file is here:
https://grimklok.deviantart.com/art/Oerth-and-the-Lands-beneath-the-Waves-389644754

As for your technical question, there is a Facebook Group run by Anna that probably has the answers you are looking for... There are nearly 1,500 members of it, and quite a few are well versed in the dimensions of planet Oerth and its continents...
Flanaess Geographical Society

EDIT: Took out image, just too large to display here...

EDIT 2: Also, we have a Canonfire! FB Group if you are not already there... we would be happy to have you there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanonFireAGreyhawkResource/
rasgon
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Gary Holian's Measuring Up the Oerth.

PSmedger wrote:
So, the inset map of the Flanaess is 41.60 inches or 129.8 hexes wide. At a scale of 30 miles/hex along the 35 N parallel, that's a distance of 3893.76 miles (almost 4 thousand miles from the Sea Barons to the lands west of Ull!)

The width of the continental United States is 2,680 miles, so you could fit about one and a half continental United States into the Flanaess.

The Darlene map extends from about 15 to 55 degrees north latitude, so it's similar to the distance from the southernmost part of Mexico to southern Alaska.
EileenProphetofIstus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, you gave me the answer I was looking for.
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: grimklok's map comparison Reply with quote

You know, it's **SO** interesting to me that this is a popular topic, lately ... I've seen variations on this in at least three different places this month.
And wondrously, Grimklok's map always seems to be offered for sake of comparison.

About 3 years ago, I discovered his map on deviant art, as can be seen in the comments on the artwork on the website. I started sharing it around to see if anyone had ever seen it, and had a conversation or six with the artist, and we talked fellow art stuff quite a bit.
He even sent me some of his source images and other versions of the map without backgrounds or color, or whatever.

Super useful stuff, and I really like that his map has become so popular in our community, and that we've found it so useful!
Happy Idea
rasgon
GreySage

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cited Grimklok's map in this thread, but note that it lined Earth and Oerth up in a way that's wildly misleading in terms of latitude. I think it might be more confusing than helpful. I don't think Grimklok got the scale right anyway; the Flanaess doesn't look one and a half times the length of the US in that map. The Flanaess should be a few degrees lower and then stretched so that the equator splits Hepmonaland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: