Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Suel temple in Gnarley/Welkwood Forest?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Suel temple in Gnarley/Welkwood Forest?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:48 pm  
    Suel temple in Gnarley/Welkwood Forest?

Does anyone have a dungeon and or map of the Greyhawk Suel temple in Gnarley Forest. Or better yet a module?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:48 pm  

I assume you mean The Lost City of the Suloise?

Wizards posted this short article:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgmp/20061219a

Gygax has a few details in Artifact of Evil. Greyhawk Adventures has a tiny plot hook in the House of Cards adventure where players can buy a map to the location "90 miles SW of Elredd."

You may want to research some of the surrounding lesser-known ruins, either for inspiration and material to cannibalize or just hooks and context: The Ruins of Nol-Daer (Suss) and Dungeon of the Fire Opal (near the Jewel/Handmaiden rivers) in Dungeon Magazine, RJK's Dark Druids (the "Fang Forest was the Gnarley in the original campaign), 3e's The Standing Stone describes a weird pantheonic temple and burial cairn in the region. Someone said The Hidden Temple of Erythnul in Vortex Magazine was in the Gnarley/Suss region, but the module doesn't say and google isn't coming up with the reference anymore. Joe Bloch's "See the Pomarj and Die!" details humanoid tribes in the southern forest that could complicate an expedition. The Scourge of Worlds DVD/game features a Suel ruin in the Sea of Dust, but the ideas, architecture, encounters, and featured artifact could be placed anywhere.

If my players ever go there, I would lean heavily on the GH-lite 3e sources waiting to be plundered. The first Map Folio is filled with dungeons, temples, ruined towers, a tree village, an artisan lake, and more. Many of the maps have companion scenarios on the old WotC archives. The Map Folio 2 is entirely devoted to a ruined jungle city that could easily be a temperate forest. The Dragondown Grotto module has great forest encounters and battlemats and Living Greyhawk even adapted the scenario for the Suss forest!

Of course, the biggest ruined forest city in D&D is Myth Drannor. If FR can steal our drow, EGG, ToEE, Tharizdun, Acererak, and Castle Greyhawk, than we can take their stupid city. The Myth Drannor boxed set (bleh) and Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor are easy pickings.

If you like the fantastic and aren't using Lost City of the Elders elsewhere, you could grab stuff from Garden of the Plantmaster.
    CF Admin

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:32 pm  

mortellan's map @ http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2013/12/campaign-search-for-lost-city-of-suel.html may also prove useful.

Allan.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:16 am  

I ran an entire Adventure there myself. In the campaign journals forum I have posted the entire Adventure. You can check it out here: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5885

It starts in Verbobonc, and they enter the Suss only in part 6. The track through the forest take some wow, and then they finally reach The Lost City in part 12. It is located the swamp around the Central Lake, for which I used the Great Dismal Swamp. The actual City was from dragonlance, Xak Tsaroth. I added some Melnibonean stuff too, reach back to my 1sr ed Deities and Demigods, which was fun.

If anybody is interested in more information about it, I'd be happy to share what I did. I have various Maps another notes, and things that never ended up being found or discovered by the party that was Adventure in there.
    CF Admin

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:33 am  

ragnar wrote:
    If anybody is interested in more information about it, I'd be happy to share what I did. I have various Maps another notes, and things that never ended up being found or discovered by the party that was Adventure in there.

That would be cool, ragnar!

Aside: I just started to read your Tsojcanth campaign journal.

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: