JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Cairn of the Skeleton King
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Cairn of the Skeleton King
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm  
    Cairn of the Skeleton King

Is it just me, or does the background for RJK’s Cairn of the Skeleton King just scream Nyrond?
    CF Admin

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:44 pm  

That definitely works, especially given the Sargent-era animus-ing of nobles throughout the Great Kingdom.

Allan.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:03 pm  

I read through it thinking, “Hmm... a morally greyish kingdom that lies to the PCs about the nature of the threat... a tomb in nearby hills... the Royal Family Archibald...” I wondered if maybe Rob had someplace in mind when he wrote it. Methinks this will see some use in the near future, since my PCs are split between Rel Mord and Womtham at the moment and in the 5–7 level range.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:48 am  

I agree Nyrond is best, but I'm torn between there and western Urnst. On one hand there's the Archibold nod, on the other, I think a Rob Kuntz module with "Cairn" in the title belongs in the Cairn Hills.

The Duchy of Urnst is also my favorite "morally greyish" realm. The Duke is good, but impulsive, chaotic, and distracted. The previous Duke was mostly evil. The government is Leukish is corrupt. Bandits, bargefolk, reclusive dwarves, dervishes, Rary's spies, and even cavemen hide in the hills. Ancient Suel estates and decadence contrast with old mining towns and crumbling infrastructure in the west (almost a "spaghetti western" vibe). The rich cling to power with harsh religious taxes and restrictions on magic users. IMC, I6 Ravenloft is an old Suel estate in Urnst.

Nyrond is "grey-ish" post-Gyagx, but even in a 591CY campaign, it was a beacon of good, strength, and paladins just ten years ago.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:44 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    Nyrond is "grey-ish" post-Gyagx, but even in a 591CY campaign, it was a beacon of good, strength, and paladins just ten years ago.
    I don’t want to stray too far off topic, but Nyrond is listed as Lawful Neutral on the alignment map in the 1983 Guide. Gary suggested Nyrond was responsible for Thrommel’s abduction. I don’t see it as a beacon of good at all, just a beacon of order that’s preferable to the decadent Kingdom of Aerdy to the east.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:46 pm  

Cool. I never knew the Thrommel connection and I like it. Didn't Gygax also say the SB was behind Thrommel? Is this another one of the answers he flip-flopped on over the years?
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:57 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    Cool. I never knew the Thrommel connection and I like it. Didn't Gygax also say the SB was behind Thrommel? Is this another one of the answers he flip-flopped on over the years?

See Paul Stormberg’s interview with Gary in Oerth Journal #12:
    Quote:
    Q: Who were Prince Thrommel’s kidnappers?
    A: The Scarlet Brotherhood enacted the deed but they were in the employ of Nyrond.
    I’ve taken that idea and run with it, on the premise that a unified Furyondy/Veluna would be bad for business in Nyrond.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: