ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - D3 and the platinum EGG
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    D3 and the platinum EGG
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 24, 2019 8:29 am  
    D3 and the platinum EGG

Hi all,

My players are about to enter the Fane of Lolth, where they may receive the platinum egg if they defeat her mortal form. The objects within the egg (the iron pyramid, silver sphere, bronze star, and crystal cube) mystify me. I know those symbols are later used by the cults in ToEE (and Gygax's original intention to link Q1 with T1-4) but wondered if there is any other information behind their meaning. That is, why those symbols? I thought perhaps these were the symbols of the deities that banished the EEG (hence the reason they are the keys to freeing him/it), but that didn't amount to much when I looked into it. Are they simply the symbols chosen by the various cults of Elemental Evil? Or has there been any theories that they represent something more?

Any feedback or speculation is most appreciated.

Cheers!
    GreySage

Fri May 24, 2019 8:51 am  
    Re: D3 and the platinum EGG

Luz wrote:
    I thought perhaps these were the symbols of the deities that banished the EEG (hence the reason they are the keys to freeing him/it), but that didn't amount to much when I looked into it. Are they simply the symbols chosen by the various cults of Elemental Evil? Or has there been any theories that they represent something more?

Any feedback or speculation is most appreciated.

Cheers!

Here's the quote: "If Lolth flees, or is slain in her current form, a silvery (platinum) egg will be revealed. A remove curse will enable it to be opened, and whomever does so is geased to enter the astral gate on Level #1 (14) and confront Lolth if he or she is able or die trying. In the egg are an iron pyramid, a silver sphere, a bronze star of eight points, and a cube of pale blue crystal."

Why would that be connected to the Elder Elemental God? It appears when Lolth is defeated, and the geas forces those who open it to attack Lolth. If it somehow represents the EEG's vengeance against Lolth for playing a role in his banishment, then pyramid=fire, sphere=water, star=air, and cube=earth.

In the GDQ supermodule, the objects act as teleportation keys to rooms in Lolth's Demonweb.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Fri May 24, 2019 9:02 am  

There is a lot of Cthulhu in my 'Hawk so the eldar elemental god and elemental evil are these dark, alien outside forces. These objects in the egg are powerful wards and devices that have various functions against the Mythos beings. Unfortunately the also can gain control of non-god-like creatures (through things such as geas) and outside the egg can warp reality and transport players to some terrible locations.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 24, 2019 1:11 pm  
    Re: D3 and the platinum EGG

rasgon wrote:
    Here's the quote: "If Lolth flees, or is slain in her current form, a silvery (platinum) egg will be revealed. A remove curse will enable it to be opened, and whomever does so is geased to enter the astral gate on Level #1 (14) and confront Lolth if he or she is able or die trying. In the egg are an iron pyramid, a silver sphere, a bronze star of eight points, and a cube of pale blue crystal."

Why would that be connected to the Elder Elemental God? It appears when Lolth is defeated, and the geas forces those who open it to attack Lolth. If it somehow represents the EEG's vengeance against Lolth for playing a role in his banishment, then pyramid=fire, sphere=water, star=air, and cube=earth.

Sorry rasgon, I should've been more specific with the context. I was referring to the Q&A with Gary Gygax on EN World, where Gary is asked about the correlation between the objects in the platinum egg and the ToEE. His answer quoted below:

"As you note, the shapes were repeated in the ToEE as I did intend to tie the latter into the series. Lolth was to be connected to the temple, she the key to activation of that which would remove the imprisoning bonds from the Elder Elemental God. Of course that would have been by unintended consequences of her actions when the PCs discovered her."

So yeah, as written in D3 they are used to push the party after Lolth. Gygax suggests he originally planned a connecting thread for Q1 and T1-4, so I've interpreted the objects in the egg to somehow correspond to the EEG (through Lolth). Thus, I wondered if the objects have been elaborated on or explained a bit more since D3.

Also, you mentioned Lolth having a role in the banishment of the EEG. I've heard of this mentioned on the internet before, but never have found a source. Is there somewhere I can find out more about that?

Cheers!
    CF Admin

Fri May 31, 2019 7:47 pm  

I think that there was some further context on the EGG and EEG in Paul Stormberg's Q&A with Gary, as well as the 22 Qs on Tharizdun perhaps?:

- http://web.archive.org/web/20060216231133/http://pages.sbcglobal.net/zimriel/NightBelow/tharizdun.html
    - OJ#12 for the Stormberg interview @ https://greyhawkonline.com/OJ_issues/OJ_12.pdf

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: