JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - White Plume Mountain Lower Level
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    White Plume Mountain Lower Level
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:29 pm  
    White Plume Mountain Lower Level

Does anyone know of any fan-created versions of the lower level of White Plume Mountain? Keraptis' Indoctrination Chamber and his actual lair, referenced, but not included in the original adventure. The lower level was in Return to White Plume Mountain, but that's set 20 years later, and I'm wondering if anyone created something intended to be used with the original adventure.
    GreySage

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:02 pm  

I am sorry, but anything I created in that regard back in the mid '80s is long gone. Sad

However, I can direct you to my blog on the subject, in case it provides inspiration or humor. Happy

http://canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5610

SirXaris

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:21 pm  

I'm actually working on a Morrowind mod based on White Plume Mountain for the upcoming May Modathon. It's something I've wanted to do since the game came out in 2002, and I want to include a final battle with the big bad of the quest.
    GreySage

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:57 pm  

Armitage wrote:
    I'm actually working on a Morrowind mod based on White Plume Mountain for the upcoming May Modathon. It's something I've wanted to do since the game came out in 2002, and I want to include a final battle with the big bad of the quest.

That sounds fun! Happy

Be sure to provide us a link.

SirXaris

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:06 pm  

My plan is to eventually adapt S1-3 (and maybe S4). Expedition to the Barrier Peaks should work well as a massive Dwemer ruin. Someone created a Tomb of Horrors mod years ago, but it barely resembles the original.
    http://mw.modhistory.com/download-31-13672
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:30 pm  

So there's this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Wizard-Lord-Keraptis-TRG/dp/1693044587

I own but haven't read it. IMO, it wasn't really noteworthy or exciting, at least at a glance, but I can't say I've thoroughly perused it.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:57 pm  
    Return...

I know the Return version of this module is set 20 years later but I didn't see where the Fane area had been built new in those 20 years. So I think it stands to reason that the Fane area can be run as depicted in the Return version of this module. Also, I noticed there is a related product that you may want to check out called "Dragotha’s Lair." The connection is:

"Twenty years ago, newly discovered map fragments revealed the lair of Dragotha, the Undead Dragon. Those same fragments also revealed the location of White Plume Mountain, and with it the renewed threat of Keraptis, an ancient wizard of evil repute. Thus, Keraptis and White Plume Mountain received all the attention, while Dragotha’s lair, whatever it really represented, remained a mystery."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:27 pm  

I haven't been able to get the lava flows working yet, that should pour into my version of the "boiling bubble", but it's done.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48280/
    GreySage

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:51 pm  

Looks good, Armitage. I recognized some of the rooms, but not all. It appears you have taken advantage of poetic license. Happy

SirXaris

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:41 pm  

In order, they're: the intersection near the entrance, the corpse that you start this version of the quest by finding, the exterior of the mountain, the weapons, the "flesh golems", a "kelpie" chasing the player, the locked room with the glass orbs (chests here) containing treasure and keys, the "giant crab" in a glass dome submerged in lava, the rotating corridor with a warrior and a werewolf mage on the other end, the lava chamber with the geysers, using floating stones instead of hanging discs, the pits with "super tetanus" spikes at the bottom, green slime, mindless prisoner storage (from Return to White Plume Mountain), and the indoctrination center (also from Return).

I changed the poem to match the new rooms (and the weapon names).

Search ye far or search ye near
    You'll find no trace of the three
    Unless you follow directions clear
    For the weapons abide with me

North to the land of the crimson peak
    You must go to the feathered mound
    Then down away from the sun you'll seek
    Forget life, forget light, forget sound

To rescue Torrent, you first must fight
    The Beast in the Burning Bubble
    Crost cavern vast, where stones take flight
    Lies Tremor, past pyres double

Blacksoul yet remains to be won
    Within the hidden maze
    That garnered, think not that you're done
    For you've reached the end of your days

I care not, former owners brave
    What heroes you seek to hire
    Though mighty, I'll make each one my slave
    Or send him to the fire

Instead of a stepped pit with glass walls, I created a small maze with invisible walls, and a chest that disables the walls when opened, letting any remaining monsters get to the player. The equivelent of the trap that shatters the walls in the original
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: