JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Modules and Magic Items
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Modules and Magic Items
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:03 am  
    Modules and Magic Items

Frankly, when it happened, I was turned of by 2e. Now with 3e, I have very little hope of ever seeing a new module I can use in a 1e campaign without major conversions. 2e modules don't look so bad anymore.

The few 2e modules I have looked at have hardly any magic items compared to the numerous 1e ones I have. Is that normal and does anyone have any advice for mixing the two other than throw in/ take away some?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:30 pm  

To be frank, I don't hink there are too many stellar quality 2e adventures, though many show enough promise to warrant buying them, and then tweeking them to be even better(imho). Th most interesting ones for me would be "Slavers" and "Against the Giants: the Liberation of Geoff", though that could just be because of the decent amount of background info that each adventure has in it as well. 2e adventures convert over to 1e with almost no effort.

As far as the magic item levels go, adjust them to suit the flavor of your campaign, whether it means adding or subtracting items. Some to the 2e adventures are choclk full o' magic; others are not. To each his own.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:04 am  
    Re: Modules and Magic Items

Wolfsire wrote:
    Frankly, when it happened, I was turned of by 2e. Now with 3e, I have very little hope of ever seeing a new module I can use in a 1e campaign without major conversions. 2e modules don't look so bad anymore.

You can always check out Hackmaster (www.kenzerco.com) modules. Most of them revisit classic 1e modules, and are somewhat parodies of the original, but they're not completely silly, and in many cases, they are far more detailed than the originals were. Kenzer has also released a few completely original ones.

Hackmaster is essentially 1e AD&D, though they added some bits from 2e and some of their own twists here and there. Despite the changes, the adventures (as well as the Hacklopedia of Beasts series of monster supplements) are about 99% ready to use in a 1e or 2e game.

Also, if you can get past the hype over at Troll Lord Games (www.trolllord.com), Castles & Crusades (their 'old school feel' D20 Lite game) claims to be very 1e friendly, so you may want to check out what they have to offer in terms of adventures.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: