JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - L1 - L4 Timeline
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    L1 - L4 Timeline
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:50 am  
    L1 - L4 Timeline

Just trying to work out the dates that these four adventures are set as well as Priestly Secrets in Dungeon #71

Priestly Secrets is set 5 years after L2 The Assassin's Knot and mentions on p.11;

"As was the case ten years before, Restenford's troubles all began with the Phaulkon Abbey."

The Greychrondex has L1 dated to 575CY and L2 as 576CY. If we go with the date for L2 then Priestly Secrets would be set in 581CY but assuming the "troubles" referred to in the quote above are about L1 then The Secret of Bone Hill would be set in 571CY.

L1 to L4 all should take place before 583CY when the elves of the Northern Isles eject all the non-elves fromt he Spindrfts.

Does anyone know if these dates were ironed out anywhere or have any opinions on it?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:58 am  
    Re: L1 - L4 Timeline

Wolfling wrote:
    Just trying to work out the dates that these four adventures are set as well as Priestly Secrets in Dungeon #71...

L1 to L4 all should take place before 583CY when the elves of the Northern Isles eject all the non-elves fromt he Spindrfts...

-I agree that L4 would have to have occurred before 583, since it covers a good chunk of the surrounding area.

FWIW, "Hand of the Highwayman" occurs in Princess Andrella's Restinford after most of Lendore was conquered by the Seldarine, probably in 591 or so: https://www.tsrarchive.com/3e/Highwayman_new.pdf
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:46 pm  

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just use this one...

I finally got L3 through drivethrurpg.

The module got garbled along the almost 20 year publication path (20% of it, according to Len Lakofka), and it was written in 1980 or so, before additional canonical material (including "Priestly Secrets" and "Highwayman") followed. This would explain some apparent inconsistencies.

Anyway, I have a few ideas and observations...

A FEW MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW

1) In L3, Restinford has a town hall (p. 3) and a mayor (p. 4). In L2, Len states that if Grellus' entire family is wiped out, then Lake Farmin/Garroten would set up a puppet regime. Was PC failure LL's expected result Another possibility might be that the baron (or Baroness Andrella, if you go with "Priestly Secrets" and "Highwayman") created the subordinate position of mayor for the town itself, with the family still directly ruling the surrounding area? In that case, did the government take over one of the guardhouses or wharehouses for the town hall (destined to be burned down in the raid), or did they build one. I'd go with the later, since they is plenty of space.

2) Who is the heroic female ranger who tracks the raiders to their lair? There aren't any in L1 or L2 (I think). The easy option is to assume that she arrived after the events of L1 and L2 (BTW...). Another possibility is that she reclassed , or she was a 0 level NPC who made it to ranger after L1 and L2. Maybe Martin (from the Guardian Peaks, et al areas) found a Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity? The option I'm toying with is making Locinda, the half-orc fighter/thief in the Guardian Peaks et al area, that "ranger". Perhaps she was able to pass herself off as human, and given her skill sets, a ranger (in AD&D1, half-orcs didn't become rangers)? As for alignment, she probably not advertising...

3) Following up the "BTW" in 2 (above), There isn't anything in the description of L3, other than the suggested PC levels, which requires participation in L1 or L2, let alone completion, or those modules, but I'll probably set it around 579/580, after L2, but before the pirate raid mentioned in "Priestly Secrets" (I considered making the raid mentioned in L3 synonymous with the one mentioned in "Priestly Secrets", but decided otherwise, since the second one apparently came from the sea).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: