Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - The Great Northern Crusade
The Great Northern Crusade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: The Great Northern Crusade Reply with quote

Are there any postings, posted materials, or published materials defining the Great Northern Crusade era that would list key plot elements, NPCs, units, commanders, time-frame of offensives, etc? I am fleshing out details around the liberation of Crockport and I could generate my own, but was hoping to be aligned with canon and of course save myself some effort starting from scratch. Wink
My campaign started in 585 and would pre-date the flight of the fiends.
Lanthorn
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLG, for what it's worth, The Adventure Begins softback sourceguide by Roger E. Moore (1998) has nearly two full pages (small font, too) outlining some information about "The Great Northern Crusade" on pages 20-21.

You may also want to get your hands on Iuz the Evil and The Marklands as well, if you don't already. They both contain valuable information about Furyondy, Veluna, and the Old One's realm if you are preparing to base a campaign featuring this historical event.

-Lanthorn
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanthorn wrote:
DLG, for what it's worth, The Adventure Begins softback sourceguide by Roger E. Moore (1998) has nearly two full pages (small font, too) outlining some information about "The Great Northern Crusade" on pages 20-21.
You may also want to get your hands on Iuz the Evil and The Marklands as well, if you don't already. They both contain valuable information about Furyondy, Veluna, and the Old One's realm if you are preparing to base a campaign featuring this historical event.
-Lanthorn

Thanks L,
Have the latter 2, but overlooked the first, thanks for jarring the grey matter!
I was hoping more for the more "obscure" elements.
I.E.
From the Ashes,p24 makes note of a lesser known order of Knights (the Knights of Luna) who oppose Yolande's isolationist position and want to support the North.
or
from the Marklands,p18 Castle Ehlenestra is detailed though sparsely. It defines the Lady ofthe castle as a swanmay (Lady Sharnalem) and a ranger, but other than her ability to control tyrgs it does little else to flesh her out.
I guess I was fishing for if any canon-esk details existed similar to those provided in The NPC narratives in the Marklands (p38-42,56, 90-95) or the Narrative in from the ashes p75 that sets the stage for the Crook of Rao.
But thanks for the feedback.. was losing hope this thread has over 100 visits and little feedback. Cry
Lanthorn
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLG, my pleasure. Sorry I wasn't of more assistance. I merely stumbled along this posting, and decided to take a peak. I will see if I encounter any other information in my collection, but know that I have only 1e and 2e reference guides...hope that is not a problem.

-Lanthorn
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanthorn wrote:
DLG, my pleasure. Sorry I wasn't of more assistance. ........ know that I have only 1e and 2e reference guides...hope that is not a problem.
-Lanthorn

No apologies ... you did help, you provided me with a forgotten resource and the 1e /2e really have no bearing as I am in quest for "fluff" than rule mongering... Stories, timeline events of the area from 585-591 are all helpful.....it gives me benchmarks to make a more comprehensive & detailed account of the area and those "things that may go on" parallel to PC party's exploits in the same area and timeframe.
Lanthorn
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLG, there's scant information in the soft-bound "Greyhawk: Player's Guide" on page 12 about the Great Northern Crusade.

Also, just in case you didn't know, I believe that the famed Crook of Rao is featured in the module, The Isle of the Ape. Warnes Starcoat, now a member of the Circle of Eight, is likewise featured in that module, obviously before he was inducted into that 'honorific' club.

-Lanthorn
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanthorn wrote:
DLG, there's scant information in the soft-bound "Greyhawk: Player's Guide" on page 12 about the Great Northern Crusade.

Ah ok will check that out
Lanthorn wrote:

Also, just in case you didn't know, I believe that the famed Crook of Rao is featured in the module, The Isle of the Ape. Warnes Starcoat, now a member of the Circle of Eight, is likewise featured in that module, obviously before he was inducted into that 'honorific' club.

I thought there was a Module that played to that.. ( they say the mind is the second thing to go Wink ) I am confused though... seems the Narrative in from the ashes p75 that sets the stage for the Crook of Rao.
It talks about PCs being hired to "trade magical items" for the Crook which is not how I remembered Isle of the Ape starting.. guess I need to dig that out of archives.
Was thinking about a tangent along Iuz with a "recapture in castle greyhawk" but cant think of any reason short of bringing the fiends "back" that might tempt him to make the trip.
Again thanks for the feedback it was more than I had on this thread in 2mths!!! rolleyes
DMPrata
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
I thought there was a Module that played to that.. ( they say the mind is the second thing to go Wink ) I am confused though... seems the Narrative in from the ashes p75 that sets the stage for the Crook of Rao.
It talks about PCs being hired to "trade magical items" for the Crook which is not how I remembered Isle of the Ape starting.. guess I need to dig that out of archives.
Yeah, the story goes that the Crook was recovered from Isle of the Ape in the late 570s, then somehow ended up in Drax's hands by the time of the Wars. A trade was then brokered to acquire it for the Flight of Fiends in Mitrik.
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DMP
How do you resolve if the PC play in Isle of the Ape and then have to "broker" for the Crook after recovering it?
I probably need to revist the IofA module its been 20 years lol Confused
DMPrata
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the presumed outcome of that module is that the PCs turn over the Crook to the Co8 and/or the forces of Good. I'm not sure how Drax ended up with it. rasgon must know. Wink
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just briefly skimmed thru IoA again,,, and I agree it would "appear" that the PCs pass the crook along to Co8 (specifically Tenser if I read right) and Like you I dont know how Drax ended up with it and seems this is in misalignment with the whole Rary / Tenser Slayed event too? I realize that tenser had "clones" (which I personally am torn to use).
Further after a brief re-read I realize why I never really utilized nor caught the connection around the Crook for this..... I viewed this module as similar to ToH .... more of a one off adventure that didn't "tie" so well with the GH setting as far as flanness histories go.
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMPrata wrote:
I'm not sure how Drax ended up with it. rasgon must know. Wink

Ditto to those thoughts and Rasgon is a wealth of information too. I was just recently working along background info (as is the basis for this thread) and stumbled on this...
http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml//modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=961
I would be very curious if there is canon supporting Sir Damen Tyneman of the Reach, who called himself "Warduke."
Longetalos
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look at the module "BorderWatch". There is also an accessory called "Castle Hart" out there. They have some information that could help you.
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longetalos wrote:
You might want to look at the module "BorderWatch". There is also an accessory called "Castle Hart" out there. They have some information that could help you.

Why hello there Longetalos! nice to see some new adventurers down here in the depths of the forum... hehehe
To which "details" are you referring? Warduke? the Crook of Rao? or in general to the area?
Longetalos
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those modules have general information on the troops, some defenses, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Furyondy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: