|First appearance||White Plume Mountain (1st Edition)|
More than a powerful form of undead, a dracolich is a dragon who has voluntarily tied its soul to a phylactery, freeing itself from death. A type of lich, the creature's spirit can possess any dead reptilian body, usually their original form, and retain all the powers and abilities of the former body. That means a dracolich has the supernatural fear aura, spells, and breath weapon it had in life, plus the terrible might of the undead.
Any type of dragon can be transformed into a dracolich. Most retain the same general appearance they possessed in life, but their eyes appear as glowing sparks within shadowy sockets. Other dracoliches are only skeletons, or mostly skeletons.
- Ampathzeredes, who sought to become the Heir of Vecna
- Dragotha, an associate of Kyuss.
- Vittris Bale, who was created by spell weavers to guard the soul pillars of Kurran-Kural.
- Collins, Andy, Skip Williams, and James Wyatt. Draconomicon. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2003.
- Cordell, Bruce R. Dragotha's Lair. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1999 and 2001. Available online:
- -----. Return to White Plume Mountain. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1999.
- Cordell, Bruce, Ari Marmell, and Robert J. Schwalb. Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2008.
- Stark, Ed, Chris Thomasson, Ari Marmell, Rhiannon Louve, and Gary Astleford. Complete Champion. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2007.
- Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1993.