World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting
| World of Greyhawk
Fantasy Game Setting
|The cover of the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting (1983).|
|Type||Folio/ boxed set|
|Code/ Abbreviation||Folio/ WoG|
|Edition||AD&D 1st edition|
|First Published||1980/ 1983|
The World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting and the The World of Greyhawk Fantasy World Setting are two closely related publications from TSR that detail the World of Greyhawk campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game. The Fantasy World Setting was first published in a folio format in 1980, and is often referred to by fans of the setting as the "World of Greyhawk folio" or as the "1980 folio." The folio was supplanted in 1983 by the Fantasy Game Setting in a boxed set format, and is often referred to by fans as the "World of Greyhawk Boxed Set," or as the "1983 boxed set."
Both publications were authored by Gary Gygax and were the first stand-alone offerings to provide detailed, comprehensive information regarding the campaign setting. The 1983 boxed set provides the more detailed treatment of the two works, containing a 48-page "Glossography" and an 80-page "Catalogue," which significantly augmented the more limited 32-page "Gazetteer" from the 1980 folio version. Both publications included full-color maps (known as the Darlene maps, after the artist that created them) of the Flanaess, the geographical area that defines the campaign setting. The Darlene maps were illustrative rather than literal, and settlements are drawn in the center of the hex regardless of where in that area they're meant to be placed. As a result, many waterfront settlements appear to be landlocked.
Although these are the original publications that outlined the Greyhawk campaign setting, many subsequent works have updated or modified the information contained in them. The most significant of these include:
- The 1988 hardback book Greyhawk Adventures
- The 1992 boxed set From the Ashes (which included updated versions of the Darlene maps)
- The 1998 sourcebook Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins
- The 2000 sourcebook Living Greyhawk Gazetteer
- Gygax, Gary. The World of Greyhawk. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1980 (ISBN 0-935696-23-7).
- -----. World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1983 (ISBN 0-88038-344-5).
- Johnson, Forrest. "Review: World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting." The Space Gamer # 33. November, 1980.
- World of Greyhawk at Acaeum.com.
- World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting at the TSR Archive.
- World of Greyhawk (folio at the TSR Archive.
- Map of the Flanaess (as depicted in these publications).