Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Any Greyhawk content in old 1st Edition UK modules
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Any Greyhawk content in old 1st Edition UK modules
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:37 am  
    Any Greyhawk content in old 1st Edition UK modules

I have just had near mint copies of the following 1st Ed UK series modules come into my clutches. Given they were published in 1984-85 I'd expect them to be set in Greyhawk, however there is no obvious Greyhawk content in them and it looks like they have a generic setting. Does anyone know if there is any Greyhawk background behind any of these modules?

UK4 When a Star Falls

UK5 Eye of the Serpent

UK6 All that Glitters...

UK7 Dark Clouds gather.

Thanks.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:47 am  
    UK7 is a great module

While some of the UK series were very specifically Greyhawk (UK1 was set on an island off the coast of the Sea Princes, while the Gauntlet and Sentinel were in the lands of the Sea Princes), most of the rest were set in generic places.

Having said that, UK7 was one of my favorite modules. I retrofit it into Greyhawk by placing it in the east. Specifically, I made Lurneslye a village in the Pale, and Melmond being in Ratik, with a pass connecting the two. There is typically very little trade done between these two nations, as the religious extremism of the Pale typically frowns on recieving aid from Ratik.

The Cloudscape mountains is merely a local name for the Rakers. The religious zeal of the villiagers makes them perfect Palites. And the retreat of the wizard Devral is appropriately placed high in these mountains.

For further adventures, see my article Hell on Oerth, for more possible interaction with the ba'atun in Oerth.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=453&mode=&order=0&thold=0

I also discussed the possibility of retrofitting the mod to GH earlier on this forum, linked here:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=393&sid=3f50b5a99ac029cc26b539e7e5514c91

Good luck and happy gaming

O-D
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:58 am  

I've always thought UK6 was obviously designed for Greyhawk, but then made more generic prior to release. I mean, c'mon...you start in a jungle, travel through mountains to reach the "Ash Waste"?

Personally, I'm definitely using UK6 in my next campaign. I still haven't done anything with it, but I plan to develop an ancient Suel city in the southern Amedio at the terminus to the tunnel in UK6. It'll be pretty far south (and quite overgrown), to explain why the Scarlet Brotherhood haven't yet discovered it.

Lotsa plot twists there that I haven't worked out yet...

But to answer your original question (sorry about my tangent), I don't think any of the other UK modules have anything specifically Hawk about them. IMHO, some of them are still great despite that.

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:28 am  

In my campaign, UK 6 fits well in a location in the Hellfurnaces, east of the Amedio and bordering the Sea of Dust. I based that location on information gleaned from the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer in the Sea of dust entry. (See the bottom two paragraphs of page 155 in the Gazetteer for the reference I mean.)

Rob Vest, the DM and chronicler of the "Bastard Greyhawk" campaign placed UK 4 in the westernmost edge of the Drachensgrabs for his game, a location which works well. Rob's web site and contact information is here:

homepages.ius.edu/rvest/Greyhawk.html

He was quite willing to explain to me how he fit the module in, including some excellent background information. You might want to look over his site and drop him a line if you are curious.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: