JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk-ifying DMG PrCs
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk-ifying DMG PrCs
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:43 pm  
    Greyhawk-ifying DMG PrCs

Just some ideas I had for adding more Greyhawk flavor to the basic prestige classes from the DMG. There seems to be more traffic here than Greytalk.

I should note that IMC, every prestige class with more than five levels has additional restrictions. Race, patron deity, organization membership, etc.

Arcane Trickster
    Reflecting their patrons' attitudes, dedicated followers of Norebo, Olidammara, and Rudd use their magical powers to reach new heights of skill and larceny. While all three readily cooperate with each other, they are loathe to deal with the arcane tricksters of Zagyg, who seem to exist only to spread chaos.

Dark Assassin (Assassin)
    Within the cults of Erythnul, Nerull, and Pyremium lurk these fanatical killers, living embodiments of their deities' aspects as gods of murder. The Dark Assassins of Pyremius, particulary, inspire shudders of fear in those who have crossed the Scarlet Brotherhood.

Note: I find myself agreeing with 2nd Edition. Assassin is what you do, not what you are. That and the magical powers are why I made the PrC a cultist of gods of murder.

Eldritch Knight
    While most famous for its Warmasters, the Furyondan College of War also trains these unique warriors in a blend of armed combat and the arcane arts. One of the instructors is an expatriate from Celene, a former Knight of Luna who brought his order's formerly exclusive disciplines to Furyondy.

Horizon Walker
    Those followers of Celestian and Fharlanghn who lack the dedication to become clerics often join this order to better emulate and glorify their gods.

Knight of Demogorgon (Blackguard)
    Just as Demogorgon created the Death Knights, he continues to corrupt Oerthly warriors with his dark power. More than mortal, less than demon, the Knights of Demogorgon form an important intermediate level among his champions.

Note: For generic unholy warriors I use the classes from Dragon #312.

Loremaster
    Within the churches of Boccob, Delleb, Lendor, Lirr, Lydia, and Rao, these sages epitomize their faith's quest for knowledge. On the darker side, worshippers of Vecna and Tharizdun gather forbidden knowledge and dark secrets. On their quest for mental perfection, Zuoken's followers seek ever greater knowledge. With luck they will soon learn their greatest secret-where is their god? Meanwhile, nobody really knows what Zagyg's followers are doing with the magical secrets they uncover.

Mystic Theurge
    Rarely, a worshipper of Boccob, Wee Jas, or Zagyg will give himself totally to the forces their god embodies, weilding arcane forces and divine power with equal alacrity.

Oeridian Duelist (Duelist)
    The Oeridian people have long been renowned for their skill at warfare. This unique combat style is taught at academies throughout Oeridian-dominated areas, particularly the Old Aerdy region.

Shadowdancer
    The organization now known as the Shadow Guild was founded at the beginning of the Fifth Century CY in the Ketite city of Molvar. Its founders were members of a sect of Xan Yae worshippers who emphasized her dominion over twilight and shadow. While many modern members still revere the Lady of Perfection, as the Guild has spread throughout the Baklunish lands and beyond, it has attracted greater numbers of members who simply seek to master the their secrets of deception.

Wizard of the Scarlet Sign (Red Wizard)
    When a member of the Brotherhood Arcane or an official of the Office of Sorcery performs a particularly noteworthy service within the Scarlet Brotherhood, he may be granted access to arcane secrets retained since the days of the Suel Imperium.

I'm still not sure what to do with the Dragon Disciple. A single organization wouldn't really work, since they are likely to be of any alignment. There are no Greyhawk deities dedicated to dragons, and the draconic deities don't scream "Greyhawk".
    My first thought was something like...perform an obscure magical ritual at the altar of Wee Jas, now buried beneath the Sea of Dust, where Inzhilem invoked her aid to create the Orbs of Dragonkind.
    But a quest of that magnitude would make more sense to become a half-dragon mid-campaign, or something bigger like that.
    Any thoughts?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:35 am  

(Warning there is a spoiler on RTTOEE in my post)

Though i dont have the 3.5 books I can comment your post. While there are some interesting things, there are some prestige class that do not really fit into the greyhawk setting as you are trying to do. Let's take the Thayan Red Wizard. There is a big difference between the Suloise and the Mulan culture of Thay, beside the obvious skin tone ; Thay is a Magocracy while the Scarlet Brotherhood is mostly an Eugenist Meritocracy. No mage tops the hierarchy of the SB even if some are held in great respect. In fact even thiefs or assassins do have a better political position than most mages who act as advisors or researchers for the SB. And let's not forget that while the SB used a tattoo to mark their agents in the old times the suloise do not have the same tastes for tattooing than the Thayans who literally cover themselves with all kind of symbols. The red mage has been done with the FR setting in mind and we should'nt try to emulate it for GH. What you describe as a high-ranking wizard of the SB could be more of an Arch-mage than a Red Wizard.

About the Knight of Demogorgon, I truly dont know why you have to put a GH justification on the Blackguard prestige class. It is obvious that a warrior/paladin who worships demons, devils or evil gods is a dark knight. He can be a knight of Hextor, an officer in the army of Iuz, a fighter worshipping Asmodeus or Prince Thrommel the vampire (interesting to me), the Blackguard is generic enough not to need a justification. Let's not forget the demon knights of the old Great Kingdom of Aerdy who could be labeled as dark-knights. Beside if you look at the Book of Vile darkness you'll find some interesting ideas for prestige classes involved with Demogorgon. And i should point out that Demogorgon is not that powerful on Oerth some demons/devils hold more importance (Baalzephon, Grazz't, Orcus ? Lolth ?) in the pantheon of evil in the Flanaess.

For the rest of your post i think you have done your duty properly the Shadowdancer really should be tied to the cult of Xan-Yae and the loremaster is generic enough to fit into many cults. Let's just forget the red Wizard, he belongs somewhere else...
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:13 pm  
    Re: Greyhawk-ifying DMG PrCs

Armitage wrote:
    I'm still not sure what to do with the Dragon Disciple. A single organization wouldn't really work, since they are likely to be of any alignment. There are no Greyhawk deities dedicated to dragons, and the draconic deities don't scream "Greyhawk".
    My first thought was something like...perform an obscure magical ritual at the altar of Wee Jas, now buried beneath the Sea of Dust, where Inzhilem invoked her aid to create the Orbs of Dragonkind.
    But a quest of that magnitude would make more sense to become a half-dragon mid-campaign, or something bigger like that.
    Any thoughts?

Not that I really want to weigh in on prestige classes, but, according to Len Lakofka here, Bahamut and Tiamat are both worshipped by the Suel people.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: