Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Who is "Baalzy"?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Who is "Baalzy"?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:20 am  
    Who is "Baalzy"?

I'm having trouble with the conflicting 1E/2E sources on the false Aerdi god "Baalzy". Rob Kuntz introduced this fiend in Fate of Istus as Baael — who does not appear in any other source, but whose name bears a striking similarity to Bael, a Duke of Hell and vassal to Mammon. In Ivid the Undying, however, Carl Sargent changed this to Baalzephon — who was previously identified as the pit fiend prime minister of Dispater, but who Sargent seems to reinvent as an arch-devil in his own right. What's the deal? Who is the real power behind the Malachite Throne?
    GreySage

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:26 am  

Baalzephon was once Dispater's Prime Minister, but she is now (since the Reckoning which, millennia ago, changed the political dynamics in Hell) Minister of Supply for all of the Nine Hells. She's one of the Dark Eight who serve in Asmodeus' palace of Malsheem in Nessus. She is a pit fiend rather than a full-fledged diabolic noble, but she's still a great power on her plane. She and Furcas are the two oldest of the eight, the only two surviving original members.

As Minister of Supply, it's appropriate she would pose as a god of wealth.

Carl Sargent got Baalzephon from the Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix, which originally introduced and named the Dark Eight. Baalzephon didn't get a full description until Hellbound: the Blood War, which clarified her duties (and gender).

This is my Baalzephon page.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:23 am  

Baalzephon and the Dark Eight are also described in chapter 6 of the free Gates of Hell pdf by Dicefreaks.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:55 pm  
    Another article on Baalzephon

And for my two coppers worth, I did an article which mentions devilish activities on Oerth. I mention Baalzephon's mechanitions a bit along with a few others.

"Hell on Oerth" is linked here:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=453&mode=&order=0&thold=0

O-D
    GreySage

Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:54 pm  

More pimpage!

The Dark Eight
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: