ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Barony of Wormhall
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Barony of Wormhall
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:47 am  
    Barony of Wormhall

Hello,

I just stumbled over this while reading the LGG. Has anyone made sonething out of this *ghoulish* place? Have offical supplements provided more info on this than just a few lines?

- Would come in handy as a good location for my Halloween game...

Thank you!

Rafael

Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:57 am  

The Bandit-Kingdoms.net site has a little about the barony on it's Regions and Cities page (which hasn't been updated since 2003). It does have a particularly nice bit of imagry that would be good for a Halloween game... When a representative of Iuz came to confront the Lords, he sentanced the man (Baron Oltagg) to public execution, then placed his magically preserved, still-beating heart on display in the central city of Obresthorp.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:34 pm  
    Re: Barony of Wormhall

The info on the Bandit Kingdoms website is exactly the same as that in the LGG.

Possibly Iuz the Evil has more, though I don't own it. It's $5 for the PDF, so I'll get it eventually.

There's an article called "Denizens of the Wormcrawl Fissure" in Dragon #276 that might be useful. Some of the upcoming adventures in Dungeon Magazine's Adventure Path take place in the Wormcrawl Fissure as well, but I'm honestly not sure if there's supposed to be a connection between the Crawl and the Hall.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:45 am  

Thank you both for the info! :)

I already checked the webiste of the BKs, but it was not too much additional info to be found there. Guess they reserve the crunch for their adventures. Wink

*Iuz the Evil* might be a very good route you lead me to, rasgon. I#ll look if I can get my hands on it. Although for my Halloween game, it might be a bit late... Wink

Smile

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:45 am  

I might have dug up some addtional info at home. If I remember, I'll have a look this weekend.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:27 am  

Thank you Paul! That would be really cool! Happy Now, while it might be too late to serve for my Halloween session, it'll be useful for future
    games in general! Smile

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:26 am  

Dammit - I keep forgetting to check when I'm at home Embarassed

Although from memory, I think all the information I got was from readily available sources so I doubt I have anything extra...

I'll email myself a reminder!
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:33 am  

Smile Ah, never mind! Thank you for the effort in any case! It's not that I#d need the info right now and couldn't go on without it... *Set my Halloween Special in Blackmoor... Uhh, that was spooky...* Happy

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:03 pm  

This is all the notes I have:

The Barony of Wormhall: Though Iuz the Evil dominates the bedtime monster stories and threats experienced by most children in this dreadful realm. The ghoulish edifice known as Wormhall, and the twisted land governed by those who dwell within it, provide more localised chills. A desolate and largely uninhabited wilderness in any era, the so-called Barony of Wormhall comprised most of the land north of Warfields, along the upper Ritensa River within seventy-five to ninety miles of the east bank.
    Wormhall fell to a Horned Society invasion in 579 CY, though it remained occupied for but three months. Reports that the dreaded Unnameable Hierarch himself visited Wormhall were never substantiated, but most believe that the grim lords of the land entered into some pact or bargain with the leaders of Molag, granting local autonomy. Wormhall men took part in the invasion of the Shield Lands (579 CY).
    Iuz's invasion in 583 CY brought about a similar result. After meeting with the lords of Wormhall for three full days, the Old One's representative had Baron Oltagg (Fg2, Rog7, NE), the speaker for the lords, sent to public execution. His still-beating heart remains magically preserved in the central village of Obresthorp. The troops of Wormhall later joined Iuz's troops, but they were slaughtered at Steelbone Meadows. Surviving troops and citizens fled into the Fellreev Forest.
    The Wormhall itself still stands, and its strange masters are said to dwell there, about forty miles west of Steelbone Meadows. Iuz's orders to his troops in this land go first to the Wormhall, bypassing Hallorn, the regional capital. No one knows the true faces of the lords of Wormhall. Rumours suggest they are ordinary humans, fiends, reanimated lords of old, or worse. The structure and province are named for the tenebrous worms that literally crawl on the walls of the Wormhall, a revolting feature that has led many to suggest magic created by the infamous arch-cleric Kyuss is somehow involved in the affairs of the land. The rulers here are also known to employ gnoll troops from the southwestern Felreev Forest.
    The common folk who have not fled the region have experienced few changes in their daily lives. Still, Wormhall is a part of the Empire of Iuz; a point lost on no one. Most villages have a population of 250-300. Almost all villages are protected by earthen ramparts and palisade. Many of the villagers are hard working subsistence farmers or fisherfolk; although there are villages of woodsmen in the Forests. Many of the villagers barely make a living off the land so some turn to banditry to support themselves. Others are peaceful men and women who are trying to make what they can off the land but who have become easy prey for the numerous lawless men and desperadoes from throughout the Flanaess who come here to build themselves their own little empire.
    Most villages have basic amenities - a tavern, a blacksmith, cooper, miller, etc. and perhaps a temple or church (which is usually a stone building that doubles as a shelter in times of strife) but few other services available. Most villagers are quite poor and barter, or theft, is often the dominant form of trade. The villagers of the Bandit Kingdoms tend to be insular and unfriendly towards outsiders.

a) Obresthorp: This central village of 250 people is protected by earthen ramparts and palisade. Many of the villagers are hard working subsistence farmers. Many of the villagers barely make a living off the land so some turn to banditry to support themselves. Others are peaceful men and women who are trying to make what they can off the land but who have become easy prey for the numerous lawless men and desperadoes from throughout the Flanaess who come here to build themselves their own little empire.
    The village has basic amenities - a tavern, a blacksmith, cooper, miller, etc, but few other services available. Most villagers are quite poor and barter, or theft, is often the dominant form of trade. The villagers tend to be insular and unfriendly towards outsiders. Their attitude is unsurprising considering that the still-beating heart of the former Speaker of the Lords, Baron Oltagg (Fg2, Rog7, NE), remains magically preserved in the village square for all to see.

b) Steelbone Meadows: This abandoned campsite was the site of the infamous massacre in 584 CY. The site is overgrown today, littered with rusting armour and equipment and untold thousands of weathered bones, forming a grim, open graveyard. Rotting tarpaulins and decomposing, bloodied furs flap in the cold winds from the north. The site is plagued with undead, especially wraiths, wights and ghosts. While a few magical items and some treasure may be scattered about, the risks of trying to obtain them are too great for any to venture into this accursed place. The undead here cannot be commanded by priests of Iuz due to their history and the endless hate they bear against them. An intriguing possibility is that they could be commanded by a priest of another evil deity or ally with him, if a plan of vengeance was presented and their mortal remains were laid to rest here.

c) Wormhall: The ghoulish edifice known as Wormhall still stands, about forty miles west of Steelbone Meadows. Its strange masters are said to dwell there still, although no one knows the true faces of the lords of Wormhall. Rumours suggest they are ordinary humans, fiends, reanimated lords of old, or worse. The structure is named for the tenebrous worms that literally crawl on the walls of the Wormhall, a revolting feature that has led many to suggest magic created by the infamous arch-cleric Kyuss is somehow involved in the affairs of the land.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:38 pm  

Happy Happy Happy

Thank you a lot! That's so cool!

I'll compare the different sources I have so far and look if it gives an coherent picture for my game!

Smile

Thanks again!
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: