JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk® Deitybase Deity List
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk® Deitybase Deity List
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:09 am  
    Greyhawk® Deitybase Deity List

Well, it's one step closer to completion! Happy I believe I have typed up my last deity (#205 Shocked ), and now look to you, my good fellows, to confirm that I haven't missed anyone. Here are my primary criteria:
    1. There must be an AD&D® reference to the deity granting spells to worshipers in the WORLD OF GREYHAWK® setting.
    2. Every AD&D® race that includes divine spell casters must be represented by a deity (although not necessarily one of the same racial aspect).

Without further preamble, then, here they are!
      Abbathor
      Aerdrie Faenya
      Akwamon
      Al’Akbar
      Allitur
      Apocatequil
      Arvoreen
      Asmodeus
      Atroa
      Azor’alq
      Baalzebul
      Baalzy
      Baervan Wildwanderer
      Bahamut
      Bahgtru
      Baravar Cloakshadow
      Beltar
      Beory
      Berei
      Berna
      Berronar
      Bleredd
      Blibdoolpoolp
      Boccob
      Bralm
      Brandobaris
      Breeka
      Camazotz
      Celestian
      Chareah
      Chitza-Atlan
      Clanggedin Silverbeard
      Corellon Larethian
      Cryonax
      Cyndor
      Cyrrollalee
      Dakarnok
      Dalt
      Damaran
      Deep Sashelas
      Delleb
      Demogorgon
      Diancastra
      Dispater
      Dorgha Torgu
      Dumathoin
      Eadro
      Earth Dragon
      Ehlonna
      Ereshkigal
      Erevan Ilesere
      Erythnul
      Fharlanghn
      Flandal Steelskin
      Fortubo
      Gaerdal Ironhand
      Gaknulak
      Garl Glittergold
      Geryon
      Geshtai
      Grankhul
      Graz’zt
      Green Man
      Grolantor
      Gruumsh
      Hanali Celanil
      Heironeous
      Hextor
      Hiatea
      Hruggek
      Huhueteotl
      Huitzilopochtli
      Hurakan
      Iallanis
      Ilneval
      Imix
      Incabulos
      Istus
      Iuz
      Jascar
      Joramy
      Juiblex
      Karontor
      Katay
      Kelanen
      Khurgorbaeyag
      Kiaransalee
      Koriel
      Kord
      Kostchtchie
      Kukulkan
      Kundo
      Kuraulyek
      Kurell
      Kuroth
      Kurtulmak
      Kyuss
      Labelas Enoreth
      Laduguer
      Laogzed
      Lendor
      Lirr
      Llerg
      Lolth
      Luthic
      Lydia
      Maglubiyet
      Mammon
      Mayaheine
      Merikka
      Meyanok
      Mictlantecuhtli
      Moradin
      Muamman Duathal
      Myhriss
      Nathair Sgiathach
      Nergel
      Nerull
      Nola
      Nomog-Geaya
      Norebo
      Obad-hai
      Ogrémoch
      Olhydra
      Olidammara
      Ometeotl
      Orcus
      Osprem
      Panzuriel
      Pazuzu
      Pelor
      Phaulkon
      Pholtus
      Phyton
      Procan
      Pyremius
      Ralishaz
      Ramenos
      Rao
      Ravanna
      Raxivort
      Red Fox
      Rexfelis
      Rhamaldrig
      Rillifane Rallathil
      Rudd
      Sarthis
      Segojan Earthcaller
      Sehanine
      Sekolah
      Semuanya
      Shargaas
      Sheela Peryroyl
      Shekinester
      Skerrit
      Skoraeus Stonebones
      Solonor Thelandira
      Sotillion
      Squerrik
      Ssendam
      St. Cuthbert
      Stern Alia
      Surtur
      Syranita
      Syrul
      Telchur
      Tezcatlipoca
      Tharizdun
      Thrym
      Tiamat
      Tlaloc
      Tlazoteotl
      Trishina
      Trithereon
      Triton
      Ulaa
      Urdlen
      Uvot
      Vaprak
      Vara
      Vatun
      Vecna
      Velnius
      Verenestra
      Vergadain
      Vilp-akf’cho Rentaq
      Vogan
      Wastri
      Wee Jas
      Wenta
      Xan Yae
      Xanag
      Xerbo
      Xilonen
      Xuanaux
      Yan-C-Bin
      Ye’Cind
      Yeenoghu
      Ygorl
      Yondalla
      Yurtrus
      Zagyg
      Zilchus
      Zodal
      Zuoken

If anyone can think of a deity I may have missed, please post it here, and I'll confirm whether or not the omission was intentional. Thanks!
    GreySage

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:48 am  
    Re: Greyhawk® Deitybase Deity List

DMPrata wrote:

1. There must be an AD&D® reference to the deity granting spells to worshipers in the WORLD OF GREYHAWK® setting.
    2. Every AD&D® race that includes divine spell casters must be represented by a deity (although not necessarily one of the same racial aspect).

So, you're saying either criterion is sufficient to get a deity mentioned in your database? A god can either be mentioned in some canonical Greyhawk source or be necessary to explain divine spellcasters?

Is it important that the deity first appeared under the aegis of AD&D or can D&D 3rd edition deities be included?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:14 pm  

Some missing Hero Gods include Daern, Johydee, Keoghtom and Murlynd.

Last edited by castlemike on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:27 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:

So, you're saying either criterion is sufficient to get a deity mentioned in your database? A god can either be mentioned in some canonical Greyhawk source or be necessary to explain divine spellcasters?

Is it important that the deity first appeared under the aegis of AD&D or can D&D 3rd edition deities be included?

Yes, either criterion is sufficient for inclusion. It is important that the deity first appeared in AD&D®, as opposed to deities who are new to the current version of the game (except, of course, in case #2, above). My "priority of canon" list is as follows:
    • Gary Gygax
    • published AD&D®
    • Len Lakofka
    • published AD&D® 2nd Edition
    • published D&D® 3.x
    • unpublished "fan canon"
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:37 pm  

castlemike wrote:
    Some missing Hero Gods include Daern, Johydee, Keoghtom are Murlynd.

I know there has been a tendency in the LGG era to elevate every known personage to hero-deity status, but Daern, Heward, Johydee, Keoghtom, Murlynd, Nolzur, Quall, and Tuerny are quasi-deities, not hero-deities, as per Gary Gygax in the Glossography. (See also "priority of canon" list, above.) As I see the distinction, quasi-deities are beyond the ken of mere mortals, but are not quite divine either. Hero-deities are a step above that and are capable of granting spells to their followers. Only Kelanen was described as a hero-deity initially. In addition, I have added the following hero-deities to the list:
    • Azor'alq — a late-1E, early-2E development
    • Dorgha Torgu — Gary's fallen Baklunish god
    • Kuroth — the original DMG reference (under Kuroth's Quill) seems consistent with his current stature as a hero-deity
    • Xuanaux — hero-deity of the flinds (necessary per criterion #2, above)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:51 pm  

Maybe I shouold have referenced the source for the Hero Gods AD&D 9578 Greyhawk Player's Guide page 20 which should meet your canon requirement.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:05 pm  

Quote:
    Xuanaux — hero-deity of the flinds (necessary per criterion #2, above)
    hmmm I think it would be better, or at least make more sense to just have flind worship Yeenoghu along with thier gnoll cousins....
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:12 pm  

castlemike wrote:
    Maybe I shouold have referenced the source for the Hero Gods AD&D 9578 Greyhawk Player's Guide page 20 which should meet your canon requirement.

... but, again, that is a late-2E product that contradicts a "higher canon" source.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:13 pm  

cwslyclgh wrote:
    Quote:
    Xuanaux — hero-deity of the flinds (necessary per criterion #2, above)
    hmmm I think it would be better, or at least make more sense to just have flind worship Yeenoghu along with thier gnoll cousins....

That would be great, except that flinds are Lawful Evil, and Yeenoghu is Chaotic Evil. I included a small number of "renegade" flinds as Yeenoghu-worshipers, but the vast majority of the race needed a Lawful patron.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:30 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    castlemike wrote:
    Some missing Hero Gods include Daern, Johydee, Keoghtom are Murlynd.

I know there has been a tendency in the LGG era to elevate every known personage to hero-deity status, but Daern, Heward, Johydee, Keoghtom, Murlynd, Nolzur, Quall, and Tuerny are quasi-deities, not hero-deities, as per Gary Gygax in the Glossography.

Both Murlynd and Kelanen have their priesthoods fully written up ala the Faiths & Avatars style in Slavers, with that Sourcebook/Adventure indicating that Murlynd had been granting spells to priests for just over a year IIRC...
    Kwint
    GreySage

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:40 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Yes, either criterion is sufficient for inclusion. It is important that the deity first appeared in AD&D®, as opposed to deities who are new to the current version of the game (except, of course, in case #2, above).

In that case, Sixin, god of xill, comes most readily to mind (Complete Divine). I don't think the xill have any other patron.

I'm guessing you didn't include the beholder Great Mother or Ilsensine because in your view neither race has divine spellcasters (although both appear in the Living Greyhawk Deities document). Presumedly the dragon deities are omitted for the same reason, or because Bahamut and Tiamat fill the void. What about Sardior, patron of neutral (gemstone) dragons?

Diirinka is mentioned in From the Ashes, even if derro don't have divine spellcasters. Or doesn't AD&D 2nd edition count as AD&D?

Are published (as opposed to unpublished stuff the regional triads came up with) Living Greyhawk sources (like the Living Greyhawk Journal) above or below other 3e sources in the hierarchy? I would rank them alongside published AD&D just by virtue of being explicitly Greyhawk, but it's your book.

Hm, it seems like Meriadar, god of mongrelmen, ought to be included, unless you're taking the stance that either they have no clerics or an existing god like Fharlanghn covers them.

Are you omitting 3e deities created for 3e races?

Where do novels (Quag Keep, Brother Wolf) fit in your hierarchy of canon? What about personages like the king of shadows from the Gord novels?

And I assume deities that appear only in WG7 are inelligible (Genericus Brant, Su Shi goddess of raw fish), despite technically being a published AD&D source.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:32 pm  

kwint wrote:
    Both Murlynd and Kelanen have their priesthoods fully written up ala the Faiths & Avatars style in Slavers, with that Sourcebook/Adventure indicating that Murlynd had been granting spells to priests for just over a year IIRC...
    Kwint

Once again, the priority of canon rules in favor of Murlynd being a "mere" quasi-deity, despite any more recent developments. I would be interested in the Kelanen info from Slavers, however, if anyone would care to share it. Cool
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:51 pm  

I'll try to take these one at a time.

rasgon wrote:
    In that case, Sixin, god of xill, comes most readily to mind (Complete Divine). I don't think the xill have any other patron.

I am only marginally familiar with the xill as a late-2E creation. Where do they appear in 1E/2E Greyhawk canon?

rasgon wrote:
    I'm guessing you didn't include the beholder Great Mother or Ilsensine because in your view neither race has divine spellcasters (although both appear in the Living Greyhawk Deities document).

It's not a question of "my view" so much as it's a question of whether the races have divine spell casters in the AD&D® rules (the system for which the Deitybase was intended).

rasgon wrote:
    Presumedly the dragon deities are omitted for the same reason, or because Bahamut and Tiamat fill the void. What about Sardior, patron of neutral (gemstone) dragons?

Dragons do not have divine spell casters in AD&D® (though I know they do in AD&D® 2E), therefore they do not meet my above criteria. (Mind you, I'm not necessarily denying the existence of Io and the others; I simply don't need to detail them as they have no clerics.) Bahamut and Tiamat were included for two reasons: 1) they appear in the original Deities & Demigods, and 2) they are honorary members of Len Lakofka's Suel pantheon.

rasgon wrote:
    Diirinka is mentioned in From the Ashes, even if derro don't have divine spellcasters. Or doesn't AD&D 2nd edition count as AD&D?

Again, derro have no clerics, so any deities they may or may not worship are beyond the scope of this project.

rasgon wrote:
    Are published (as opposed to unpublished stuff the regional triads came up with) Living Greyhawk sources (like the Living Greyhawk Journal) above or below other 3e sources in the hierarchy? I would rank them alongside published AD&D just by virtue of being explicitly Greyhawk, but it's your book.

I suppose if I were to break things down further, I'd rank Living Greyhawk material higher than, say, D&D® 3.x core rule books, but I still give precedence to AD&D®. By way of example, I haven't included deities like Charmalaine, Doresain, or Mouqul, as I am unaware of any AD&D® references to them — therefore, they do not exist in my campaign.

rasgon wrote:
    Hm, it seems like Meriadar, god of mongrelmen, ought to be included, unless you're taking the stance that either they have no clerics or an existing god like Fharlanghn covers them.

Again, mongrelmen have no divine spell casters in AD&D®.

rasgon wrote:
    Are you omitting 3e deities created for 3e races?

Yup

rasgon wrote:
    Where do novels (Quag Keep, Brother Wolf) fit in your hierarchy of canon? What about personages like the king of shadows from the Gord novels?

Novels don't count, with the exception of the Gord series (and deities from those stories still have to meet the "divine spell caster" requirement).

rasgon wrote:
    And I assume deities that appear only in WG7 are inelligible (Genericus Brant, Su Shi goddess of raw fish), despite technically being a published AD&D source.

Um, yeah.... I didn't count Roger Moore's orcish deity Mispigie, either.
    GreySage

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:21 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    I am only marginally familiar with the xill as a late-2E creation. Where do they appear in 1E/2E Greyhawk canon?

They were in the original Fiend Folio, I believe, as well as the 2nd edition Fiend Folio Appendix.

I'm not aware of any Greyhawk source that specifically mentions them, but as ethereal creatures they could appear anywhere.

Quote:
    By way of example, I haven't included deities like Charmalaine, Doresain, or Mouqul, as I am unaware of any AD&D® references to them — therefore, they do not exist in my campaign.

Doresain was mentioned in the original Monster Manual (but not by name, and not as a deity).

And no Mouqol just because he was unfortunate enough to be created on the wrong side of the edition divide? Poor guy.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:06 pm  

The entry for Yeenoghu references the King of the Ghouls, which is the basis for Doresain. That entry doesn't really specify that Doresain is a god; he could simply be a supernatural entity of lesser stature (which is my inclination).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:26 am  

IMO your Greyhawk God List Standard appears quite arbitrary by including some later canon God additons but not others mentioned by your own canon standards.

After reading your posts IMO this board is more like Your Campaign God List than the Canon Greyhawk Pantheon which is fine.

Including listing Gods for races that had No Mention in earlier canon editions and disregarding other Godly canon additions to the pantheon just doesn't make sense to me which is fine it's your campaign.

Regarding Quasi-Deities and Hero Gods with all the additions they are two names for the same thing both had the 4th level spell granting limit unless they were prime based which was then 5th.

For some reason that 5th/6th spell casting limit for Demi Gods like Iuz and Vecna did not seem to apply (Vecna followers had talismans while imprisoned in Ravenloft).

Regarding canon smaller lesser known faiths concerning most Quasi/Hero Gods, Demi Gods and Lesser Gods didn't get a lot of attention in earlier editions.

TSR/Wizards has never published a complete and comprehensive God listing in a single source book to my knowledge. As time progressed the pantheons on most campaign worlds expanded and more Gods were introuduced into the campaign. Over the next few years various writers for the Ebberon campaign will introduce more and more Gods to the pantheons.

Consider On Hallowed Ground which only listed Intermediate and Greater Gods for Oerth in 1996 while listing a scattering of Lesser, Intermediate and Greater Gods for Toril.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:01 am  

Well there's the diety list that LG put out:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/welcome (follow the link on the right).

Not exhaustive, but pretty tiring. :)

P.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:10 am  

rasgon wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:

They were in the original Fiend Folio, I believe, as well as the 2nd edition Fiend Folio Appendix.

I'm not aware of any Greyhawk source that specifically mentions them, but as ethereal creatures they could appear anywhere.

D'oh! Embarassed I stand corrected. How could I forget the poor xill? Still, they don't have divine spell casters (at least not in AD&D®), so I'm covered. Cool
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:11 am  

Woesinger wrote:
    Well there's the diety list that LG put out:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/welcome (follow the link on the right).

Not exhaustive, but pretty tiring. :)

P.

That was one of my primary sources. Wink
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:16 am  

It seems peculiar that you are using some deities from Monster Mythology while denying that others in there that give divine spellcasters to other races "count."
    Mongrelmen get divine casters in Monster Mytholg, and AD&D product. Further, even though I strenously reject the FtA assertion that all Monster Mythology deities for non-human races are official Greyhawk deities, the reference exists, and since mongrelmen are in Greyhawk, it means they have divine spellcasters.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:58 am  

Samwise wrote:
    It seems peculiar that you are using some deities from Monster Mythology while denying that others in there that give divine spellcasters to other races "count."
    Mongrelmen get divine casters in Monster Mytholg, and AD&D product. Further, even though I strenously reject the FtA assertion that all Monster Mythology deities for non-human races are official Greyhawk deities, the reference exists, and since mongrelmen are in Greyhawk, it means they have divine spellcasters.

I am using the AD&D® rule set, not AD&D® 2nd Edition (although I do reference some 2E materials where needed). So, for example, I know from AD&D® that nymphs can cast druidic spells, but I have no information on what deity actually grants those spells. Therefore I look in 2E Monster Mythology and find Verenestra.

Duergar exist in AD&D®, and have divine spell casters. I wasn't going to include Laduguer initially, as I felt the AD&D® deity Abbathor could fill that role. However, since Return to White Plume Mountain (a Greyhawk® product) makes reference to a priest of Laduguer — and since this does not conflict with any previous material — I included him. Urds did not exist in AD&D®, but they appear in an AD&D® 2E Greyhawk® product, so I included them and their patron (as their presence does not conflict with anything that came earlier). Mongrelmen, however, do not have divine spell casters in AD&D®, so I do not recognize changes made to them in later editions.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:57 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    I am using the AD&D® rule set, not AD&D® 2nd Edition (although I do reference some 2E materials where needed). So, for example, I know from AD&D® that nymphs can cast druidic spells, but I have no information on what deity actually grants those spells. Therefore I look in 2E Monster Mythology and find Verenestra.

So what? There is nothing about the deities and spellcaster ability in Monster Mythology that is incompatible with the 1st ed rules.
    And druids don't need deities, so nyphs don't need Verenestra.
    If you want to make an arbitrary list go ahead. But it isn't really a Greyhawk list.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:48 am  

Samwise wrote:
    So what? There is nothing about the deities and spellcaster ability in Monster Mythology that is incompatible with the 1st ed rules.
    And druids don't need deities, so nyphs don't need Verenestra.
    If you want to make an arbitrary list go ahead. But it isn't really a Greyhawk list.

You know what? It's my list, for my AD&D® Greyhawk® campaign. I posted here because I thought I'd share it with others who may have a use for it. If it's not to your liking, then please feel free to ignore this thread.
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:13 pm  

Quote:
    I suppose if I were to break things down further, I'd rank Living Greyhawk™ material higher than, say, D&D® 3.x core rule books, but I still give precedence to AD&D®. By way of example, I haven't included deities like Charmalaine, Doresain, or Moquol, as I am unaware of any AD&D® references to them — therefore, they do not exist in my campaign.
    I'm lobbying for Baklunish gods, as can be expected. Wink

According to criteria #2 if a race is in 1E Greyhawk it must have a god. Well technically the Baklunish are a race and while several Baklunish gods are represented, there are far more of the other subraces in comparison. Moquol's situation I believe is the same as your handling for the Nymph. When there was no god for the Nymphs you went to a later edition. Furthermore your priority does go up to 3.x sources. If it wasn't a priority at all it should be left off the list, no? Also its a commonly held belief (not sure of the quote but it might be Gygax's era) that not all the Baklunish gods were detailed at the time of 1E's writing. That's why you get gods like Dorgha. Anyhoo, vote MOQUOL!
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:20 pm  

The '83 and simliar early sources are incomplete quite clearly. Filling them out a bit is a good idea. The main question in that regards are whether to add entirely new gods (such as Mouquol) or cross culturalize existing gods (such as making Mouquol a localized version of Zilchus).

If you use no discrimination at all about additions, you end up with the LGG list. If you use some, you'll end up cutting at an arbitrary point that won't satisfy sections of the fanbase (with objectors on both sides of the cut point, no doubt).
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:25 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    According to criteria #2 if a race is in 1E Greyhawk it must have a god. Well technically the Baklunish are a race and while several Baklunish gods are represented, there are far more of the other subraces in comparison. Moquol's situation I believe is the same as your handling for the Nymph. When there was no god for the Nymphs you went to a later edition. Furthermore your priority does go up to 3.x sources. If it wasn't a priority at all it should be left off the list, no? Also its a commonly held belief (not sure of the quote but it might be Gygax's era) that not all the Baklunish gods were detailed at the time of 1E's writing. That's why you get gods like Dorgha. Anyhoo, vote MOQUOL!

Sorry, but the Baklunish have seven deities already, whereas the nymphs had none. Also, Dorgha's pedigree is purer than Mouqol's. Wink It's a very short trip from Mouqol to Heironeous & Hextor's "third brother" — and that's a trip I don't want to take.
    GreySage

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:31 pm  

Vormaerin wrote:
    If you use no discrimination at all about additions, you end up with the LGG list. If you use some, you'll end up cutting at an arbitrary point that won't satisfy sections of the fanbase (with objectors on both sides of the cut point, no doubt).

Good point. A list that included every possible god would be never-ending, as the justification for including (for example) the new gods in the Book of Vile Darkness and Book of Exalted Deeds really isn't any worse than Monster Mythology's; some of the former gods even have explicit ties to gods of Oerth, while many of Monster Mythology's gods do not.

If we're to avoid an eternally expanding list, some arbitrary criterion is necessary. I wouldn't draw the lines at exactly the same place as DM Prata did, or where Sam did, but even though I tend toward inclusiveness I still have to draw the line somewhere.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:19 pm  

Well I draw the line after non-player character, non-humanoid races and at mysterious little known races like the Xill or Nymphs personally. Most players will be standard PC races and such I drink in all the human subrace deities I can get. While I think its cool that someone designed a deity for the Nymphs or Xill they shouldn't carry more weight than human deities that can have an impact on the setting. Anyhoo I can't wait to see this project completed, the pictures alone are what I'm itching to pour over.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: