JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - "What's in your scroll tube?"
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    "What's in your scroll tube?"
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:56 pm  
    "What's in your scroll tube?"

I was just wondering about the maps of the Flanaess. I often need maps (canon or otherwise) of places not yet detailed or fleshed out. Most of the time I can't find enough detail on these areas to draw a real visual concept of the area/city.

I was wondering which areas of Greyhawk would you most like to see rendered. Does the map have to be done with mapping software or would well crafted hand-drawn maps be acceptable? Do you like the building silohettes (like TSR did in the 1990s where most of the town is a bunch of black blocks)? How detailed do you like your maps? Can you draw a map without a key to points of interest? If you make the key shouldn't you do a small writeup of the town?

I was considering drawing some maps of areas not yet available. I sometimes feel that Greyhawk has very few visually unique sites. The recent Tome of Magic has a spired tower of Vecna with a great illo. Greyhawk needs more visually dramatic locations. Yes, I know that the Rift Canyon is cool, but what about Enstad? Shouldn't it be more than just another city. The Highfolk Town has always appeared to me as a gargantuan tree with the elfs living within its brtanches and the gnome, humans, etc., living in quarters determined by the tree's mighty above ground roots.

Okay, I'm getting off-topic. Sorry.

So how do you like your maps and what areas would you like to see most detailed and why?

Thanks for your imput.
    GreySage

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:22 am  

I thought this image, by the Brothers Hildebrandt, would make a pretty good Enstad.

It's entitled "Cryslandon, the Elf Citadel."
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:42 pm  
    Re: "What's in your scroll tube?"

Skech wrote:
    So how do you like your maps and what areas would you like to see most detailed and why?

Thanks for your imput.

I like maps that are pretty detailed on a local level, although if I don't agree with details made by others that doesn't really do me any good. My favorite maps in a product are some of the ones in a number of the old UK modules, especially in B10 - Night's Dark Terror and UK5 - Eye of the Serpent. They were sort of 3-dimensional. Very sweet!

I'd like to see a map of the southern Wild Coast (pre-Greyhawk Wars) done in the style of the campaign map in B10, because that's where my current campaign is.

What I've actually been using is some bits of coastline and other features I've tilted slightly and screen captured out of Google Earth. It definitely helps me and the players visualize the areas.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:21 am  

I'm quite anally retentive - I like DM maps to have an entry for every settlement, dungeon, and significant geographical feature!

The recent maps in Dungeon did quite well for some regions but others were depressingly bare and, of course, the Domain of Greyhawk is so overdeveloped that no large scale map could fit everything on, although I still wish that more of the local villages had made an appearance.

If I get around to it I'm going to try printing onto clear sticky back plastic to stick on some of the missing settlements and/or scaning the maps and adding the further settlements using my pc.

Braggi's maps on Harvesters Heroes are also extremely good and he often pays homage to home campaigns by adding significant dungeons to his maps. However, even he struggles to fit on every location.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: