JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Apocatequil
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Apocatequil
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:41 am  
    Apocatequil

In Thought on Rexfelis the Cat Lord, chat writes: It was pointed out by Marc Gonzalez that Apocatequil is a canon patron of the were-jaguars in the Olman culture." Where is this reference, and can anyone give me any other references (that you know of) to Apocatequil? So far as I know, the only reference to him in any published material is the one on page 8 of The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan.

Regards, EP Healy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:16 pm  

Try this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Apocatequil+greyhawk&btnG=Search

Not sure what is canon but these should hold some answers.

Cheers
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:09 pm  

Apocatequil is mentioned as an aspect of Tezcatlipoca ("the jaguar god") in both The Scarlet Brotherhood and the Living Greyhawk™ Official Listing of Deities for Use in the Campaign (version 2.0). I took a slightly different approach to Apocatequil in the Deitybase.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:40 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Apocatequil is mentioned as an aspect of Tezcatlipoca ("the jaguar god") in both The Scarlet Brotherhood and the Living Greyhawk™ Official Listing of Deities for Use in the Campaign (version 2.0). I took a slightly different approach to Apocatequil in the Deitybase.

The only reference I found to him was in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (pg 8). While the LG Deities file lists him as an aspect of Tezcatlipoca, there is no reason / source given. I was unable to find the info in TSB you spoke about. So, for now the only published material I could find was in HSoT, and that's not much.

Your Deitybase is cool - and almost reflects where I was going with him. I was holding out hope there was something more substantial out there, though. I know it's been a while, but can you give any "designer notes" on how you fleshed him out? It looks like you took the old Incan deity and ported most of it over to Greyhawk. I did notice you left out the fact that the Incans used to call Apocatequil "The Evil Prince." :) Any reason why?
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:28 pm  

ephealy wrote:
    The only reference I found to him was in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (pg 8). While the LG Deities file lists him as an aspect of Tezcatlipoca, there is no reason / source given. I was unable to find the info in TSB you spoke about. So, for now the only published material I could find was in HSoT, and that's not much.

Your Deitybase is cool - and almost reflects where I was going with him. I was holding out hope there was something more substantial out there, though. I know it's been a while, but can you give any "designer notes" on how you fleshed him out? It looks like you took the old Incan deity and ported most of it over to Greyhawk. I did notice you left out the fact that the Incans used to call Apocatequil "The Evil Prince." :) Any reason why?

Here are the specific references I used in describing Apocatequil:

I decided to take Erik Mona's Neutral alignment as canon and worked the Peruvian myths around that fact.
    GreySage

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:06 pm  

I suspect the association of Apocatequil with Tezcatlipoca is entirely based on the fact their portfolios overlap.

Of course, since in the real world Apocatequil is an Inca deity and Tezcatlipoca is an Aztec deity, you won't find any actual books on mythology suggesting they're the same thing, though they may be in some way parallel.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 01, 2006 3:13 am  

DMPrata wrote:
    I decided to take Erik Mona's Neutral alignment as canon and worked the Peruvian myths around that fact.

Neutral does make sense to me as well. As an insignificant aside... just because the people might call him "The Evil Prince," doesn't make him evil. In fact, in Incan cosmology he represented the night, while his brother represented day. The whole deal with his mother (The Dawn) passing away to give birth to them is a common motif. At any rate, people often make the Day = Light = Good and Night = Dark = Evil association, but that doesn't make it so...

It'd still be cool if he had the title "The Evil Prince." Ironic, in a way. But life often is.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: