JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Castle Maystryne
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Castle Maystryne
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:21 am  
    Castle Maystryne

I am trying to find out who the priests that aid Lord Maystryne worship. In the From the Ashes Campaign Book it says they unleashed multiple flame strikes. Lord Maystryne and his men wear black platemail and hate humanoids. Good choices to me would be Nerull, Hextor, or Kelanen. Hextor seems the best choice but there is a priest nearby in Wyvernen. In the Greyhawk index, it says Lord Maystryne was in LGJ#3 page 27. I am still trying to get my hands on the LGJs without paying an arm and a leg.

As a bit of backstory my PC are traveling to Castle Maystryne to find if he has dealings with the Pomarj leaders, in hopes of arrange ransom for a family member imprisoned during the wars. My NPC suggested the idea since he is on the border he might have dealings with both sides. Won't they be surprised!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:11 am  
    Re: Castle Maystryne

I can't answer your whole Q, but the reference in LGJ3 is in the "Dispatches" section. It simply states that an Obad-Hain druid named Thurgis Falden is visiting Greyhawk, and mentions that Falden fought alongside Maystryne in the Welkwood during the Wars.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:44 pm  

I can't help you with the article however I've read the FtA and it definitely sounds like Hextor to me;
    Iron Discipline
    Brutal Order
    Superiority Doctrine
    Strongly (LE) Philosophy
    Given the hatred/revenge of humanoids perhaps Erythnul as a second possibility but the order aspect is counter to the chaotic nature of Erythnul and even the humanoid revenge is not counter to Hextor many commanders in Aerdy follow Hextor and despise humanoids.

Doesn't seem to match Nerull or Kelanen except for the preference for black (per Nerull).

1 Vote for Hextor
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:32 am  

Some additional information... Lord Mastryne is a 15th level NE fighter. His castle is described as "a gloomy place."

Nerull has the same alignment and a neutral attitude towards humanoids. The invaders could have done something to Lord Mastryne to anger him.
    Nerull in my eyes is the least likely.

Kelanen had a strong worship center in the Wild Coast specifically Elredd, as stated in Slavers. The temple was destoyed during the humanoid attacks and that cannot make anyone too happy. Lord Mastryne could revere a darker version of Kelanen, showing his superior mastery of the blade. A priest of Kelanen pushed from his home could be swaying Lord Mastryne, and one of the flame strike throwers. Also the LGJ article has a druid working with Lord Mastryne certainly easier to see if evil gods are not worshiped there.

Hextor is certainly a strong candidate.

I would like to add Stratis and Stern Alia added to the mix as possible war gods to be revered.

The priest need not be evil but they must be willing to work with a NE warlord.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:55 am  

Baramay wrote:
    Kelanen had a strong worship center in the Wild Coast specifically Elredd, as stated in Slavers. The temple was destoyed during the humanoid attacks and that cannot make anyone too happy. Lord Mastryne could revere a darker version of Kelanen, showing his superior mastery of the blade. A priest of Kelanen pushed from his home could be swaying Lord Mastryne, and one of the flame strike throwers. Also the LGJ article has a druid working with Lord Mastryne certainly easier to see if evil gods are not worshiped there.

Just a quick note here from the deity guy: 2E priests of Kelanen could not cast flame strike.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:57 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Just a quick note here from the deity guy: 2E priests of Kelanen could not cast flame strike.

Nice catch. Could you give me a list to choose from?

Criterial: Willing to work with a NE warlord.
    Able to cast flame strike.
    Neutral or hostile stance towards humanoids.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:39 pm  

Baramay wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:

Nice catch. Could you give me a list to choose from?

Criterial: Willing to work with a NE warlord.
    Able to cast flame strike.
    Neutral or hostile stance towards humanoids.

I applied the following parameters:
    • WORSHIPERS' ALIGNMENT contains NE.
    • WORSHIPERS' RACES contains humans.
    • WORSHIPERS' RACES does not contain humanoids.
    • Flame strike is a granted spell.

Within these parameters, the Deitybase returned the following list:
    • Boccob, N Common greater god of Neutrality, Magic, Arcane Knowledge, Foreknowledge, Foresight
    • Damaran, NE (N) Touv demigod of Vermin, Cowardice
    • Huitzilopochtli, N (NE) Olman lesser god of War
    • Imix, NE Elemental demigod of Fire
    • Kord, CG Suel greater god of Athletics, Sports, Brawling, War
    • Llerg, CN Suel lesser god of Beasts, Strength
    • Meyanok, NE (CE) Touv lesser god of Serpents, Poison, Discord, Darkness, Famine
    • Mictlantecuhtli, LE Olman greater god of Death
    • Norebo, CN Suel lesser god of Luck, Gambling, Risk
    • Ometeotl, N Olman greater god of Creation
    • Ralishaz, CN (CE) Common lesser god of Chance, Randomness, Bad Luck, Misfortune, Madness
    • Rexfelis, N Nonhuman demigod of Felines
    • Tiamat, LE Draconic lesser goddess of Chromatic Dragons
    • Vecna, LE Flan demigod (later, lesser god) of Secrets, Magic
    • Vilp-akf'cho Rentaq, CE Unknown greater god of Chaos, Creation, Power, Prowess, Horror

Note that Hextor, the most likely choice, was excluded due to the requirement for opposing humanoids. (There are many in Hextor's service.)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:31 pm  

Does FtA say that the priests hate humanoids, or only "Lord Maystryne and his men?"

I doubt Hextor would take it as a serious problem if some of his priests and/or some of his worshipers hated humanoids. Indeed, he might expect it.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=800&mode=thread&order=2&thold=0

The Euroz and Jebline Migrations by samwise has Hextor as an avatar being a humanoid for the sacred purpose of driving the Oeridians east.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:51 pm  

Lord Mastryne is a 15th level NE fighter; I am most comfortable placing him as a follower of Hextor (especially given the "gloomy" aspect).

The priest that works for him seems to fit Hextor: FtA was 2nd edition (no mandate against opposing humanoids)
    DMPrata Criteria
    WORSHIPERS' ALIGNMENT contains NE.
    WORSHIPERS' RACES contains humans.
    Flame strike is a granted spell.
    Disqualified Hextor because: Note that Hextor, the most likely choice, was excluded due to the requirement for opposing humanoids. (There are many in Hextor's service.)

Is this mandated in 3E?

I can't see why Hextors priests even if Hextor has humanoid followers can't oppose humanoids. Many Hextor followers, nobles and priests of the GK not only oppose humanoids but actually are in open warfare with them (IE. Baron-General Shalaster). All the races of GH can go to war, even so called good nations, that share the same faith in the same gods.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:44 pm  

The Oerth Journal 11 has an in depth article based on Mastryne Castle and the only clerics in his service are both Hextor however there a pair of
    Mayaheine priests which reside within the neaby village.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:07 pm  

Just to be clear, I agree that Hextor is the most likely candidate. I was simply providing the requested information — nothing more. Wink
    GreySage

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:39 pm  

Hextor makes the most sense, but Tiamat would be an interesting choice.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:57 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Hextor makes the most sense, but Tiamat would be an interesting choice.

Well, considering that Tiamat was historically worshiped by the Suloise, you could then tie Lord Mastryne in to a certain lost city in the Suss....
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 pm  

From OJ 11 article, page 77:
    Quote:
    Mastryne and his men are uniformly followers of Hextor.

Pretty clear statement; sorry I didn't see it before Embarassed

Hope that is what you wanted Baramay.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:37 pm  

Crag wrote:
    From OJ 11 article, page 77:
    Quote:
    Mastryne and his men are uniformly followers of Hextor.

Pretty clear statement; sorry I didn't see it before Embarassed

Hope that is what you wanted Baramay.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Just by chance DMPrata would not Wee Jas also belong on that list. Before Crag pointed out the OJ article I was leaning towards a priest/ess of Wee Jas looking to find relics of past suel settlements, helping Mastryne in a mutual collaboration.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:14 pm  

Baramay wrote:
    Just by chance DMPrata would not Wee Jas also belong on that list. Before Crag pointed out the OJ article I was leaning towards a priest/ess of Wee Jas looking to find relics of past suel settlements, helping Mastryne in a mutual collaboration.

Wee Jas has only lawful worshipers (LG, LN, LE), so she was excluded from those search parameters.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: