JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sir Bluto San Pite
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sir Bluto San Pite
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:06 pm  
    Sir Bluto San Pite

Anyone who has RIVER OF BLOOD or LGJ #2 "The Artisans' Quarter," are there any details on Sir Bluto as to what country he might be originally from?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:59 pm  

I thought he was a former "noble" of Greyhawk... which while that doesn't necissarily mean he didn't come from else where would seem to indicate that he probably came from Greyhawk originaly. I could be wrong though, his original write up in WPM simply states that he was a "respected knight of the realm".
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:49 pm  

I didn't/don't think there is anything official on this, but figured I'd ask. The reason I'm wondering is I've been looking for any use in the canon of nobiliary particles, such as "of" in John of Gaunt, "de" in Roger de Mortimer or "von" in Otto von Habsburg. I know Bluto Sans Pite probably should be translated as Bluto Without Pity in bastard French ( A suitable name for a mass murderer, and I'm assuming he was styled on Gilles de Rais) but I'm considering using Sans as a nobiliary particle IMC. Of course I'd need to decide from what language?

I guess I should change the question to "anyone know of any uses of nobiliary particles in canon?" Well, other than "of"?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:23 pm  

Actually, he's modelled (at least in name) on a villianous knight, Sir Bruenis Sans Pite, a foe of Lancelot's in some Arthurian tales.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:16 am  

Bluto is described as a "paunchy, red-haired man," in River of Blood, so he was likely of Suel ancestry. That doesn't really help to pinpoint his birthplace, though.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:41 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    Bluto is described as a "paunchy, red-haired man," in River of Blood, so he was likely of Suel ancestry. That doesn't really help to pinpoint his birthplace, though.

That fits with my latest thinking which is to make it a Suel word used in the names of knights and other nobles in Keoland, the Urnsts and other places that might have Suel-influences on their language.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:50 am  

smillan_31 wrote:

I guess I should change the question to "anyone know of any uses of nobiliary particles in canon?" Well, other than "of"?

There is the case of Count Imiric von Suss-Varren, a one-time henchman of Otiluke who is one of the pregenerated PCs for Vecna Lives!. He is a gnome noble from the Principality of Ulek.
    CF Admin

Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:08 pm  
    Sir Bluto details

There's not really much info to go on:

S2 White Plume Mountain page 11 (orange covor edition) wrote:
    Sir Bluto himself was a respected Knight of the Realm before his indictment in the River of Blood mass-murder case. His mysterious disappearance from prison left even the Royal Magician-Detectives baffled, and a reward of 10,000 g.p. was posted for his capture. Someone in the party is sure to recognize his one-of-a-kind face. Sir Bluto: AC: -1 (shield+1, plate mail +2); 10th level fighter; HP: 50; +2 to hit, +4 damage. He carries the magic key to the secret doors (25) and is wearing boots of striding and springing.

and

COR1-03 River of Blood wrote:
    A portrait above the stairs on the eastern wall displays a pauncy, red-haired man of regal appearance wearing a breastplate and wielding a rapier in a gentemanly pose. Even from a distance, the man's eyes seem to hold a powerful, and perhaps malevolent, glare. [snip] The portrait on the east wall is of Sir Bluto, painted some ten years before his disgrace."

Jason Zavoda's index doesn't shed any further light on him, either. I don't recall if As He Lay Dying had any more info, and can't seem to find my copy to check (anyone?).

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:58 am  
    Re: Sir Bluto details

grodog wrote:
    I don't recall if As He Lay Dying had any more info, and can't seem to find my copy to check (anyone?).

A quick text search returned 0 instances of "Bluto" in COR2-01 As He Lay Dying.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 am  

Prochytes wrote:
    There is the case of Count Imiric von Suss-Varren, a one-time henchman of Otiluke who is one of the pregenerated PCs for Vecna Lives!. He is a gnome noble from the Principality of Ulek.

Good catch Prochytes.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:56 pm  

Poor Count Imric has been stripped of his title, and rendered persona non grata as a result of someone deciding the Principality of Ulek should only have dwarven nobles in the LGG.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:49 pm  

Samwise wrote:
    Poor Count Imric has been stripped of his title, and rendered persona non grata as a result of someone deciding the Principality of Ulek should only have dwarven nobles in the LGG.

Maybe someone left out the "major" before "noble houses" like they have in the entry for the Duchy of Ulek? Otherwise, yeah that's a little extreme for such a "cosmopolitan" state.

We also have a use of "van" in VECNA LIVES! in the author of "The True Relation of the Nyr Dyv and the Lands Surrounding," Norfil van Defflitter.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: