JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Iuz: The Mortal Years
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Iuz: The Mortal Years
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:13 pm  
    Iuz: The Mortal Years

I recently read a thread regarding Iuz's ascension to godhood and it got me thinking: has his history as a mortal ever been covered in depth (here at CF or other source)? Specifically, I'm looking for more details of his years in the Howling Hills and his bandit chieftain "father". If not, I'd like to hear some theories, if anyone has any.

Thanks.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:16 pm  

Well, I wrote this. I didn't deal with his stepfather at all, though.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:49 am  

Thanks, Rasgon. Great stuff, as always. I'm curious about his stepfather and the role he had in Iuz's life as well. I've got a few ideas but haven't really sorted them out in my head yet. Any thoughts?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:52 am  

I've assumed a few things based on published materials. Dorakaa seems to have existed before the rise of Iuz, though it was named Dora Kaa at the time. I've taken this to be the name of the realm that Iuz inherited from his his cuckolded "step-father". I also made the assumption that it was probably a barony, and that the step-father and his neighbors were acknowledged nobles of the Northern Reaches, even if they were little better than bandit lords. I imagine his father to have been seduced by and married to Iggwilv, who would have been at least about 150-200 years old at the time. I can see that Iggwilv already had a plan to be impregnated by Graz'zt if she hadn't already done so, and saw the marriage as a way to foist a half-demon child on a man who whose inheritance would benefit her son. For this reason I see Iuz's step-father as having been a lord of some importance in the region. Personality-wise I see him as probably having been cruel and abusive, especially if he was suspicious about who the boy's father really was. I imagine Iuz to have been relatively young when he inherited his step-father's title in 479, though not too young since he conquered 3 neighboring fiefs the next year. His step-father's death would have been of unnatural causes brought about either by Iggwilv or Iuz (Poisoned by Iggwilv, smothered with a pillow by Iuz, who knows?)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:44 pm  

I had always assumed that Dora Kaa and the neighboring petty states were simply a westward branch of the Bandit 'Kingdoms.'

As far as Iuz's early life, yeah, you can pretty much assume he spent it getting kicked around by his adoptive father, and pulling the wings off of flies on his spare time. Evil Grin
    GreySage

Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:52 pm  

From Return of the Eight, page 55:
    Quote:
    Iggwilv first appeared in historical chronicles of Perrenland in 460 CY. Even then she was a powerful wizard, a master at fiend summoning, planar exploration and necromantic magic. She had already summoned and bound the demon lord Graz'zt and given birth to a son by him: Iuz, adopted as an infant by a petty lord north of Whyestil Lake. The lord died in 479 CY, and Iuz - probably trained and supported in secret by his parents - took over the estate.

So Iuz was already born by 460. It's not clear here exactly how old he was then. My guess is he was still an infant, but it's not clear. Still, I doubt Iuz would have waited long after he came of age to take over. He doesn't seem the patient type. So I'm guessing he's 18 or 19 when the old lord dies.

From the Player's Guide to Greyhawk, page 24:
    Quote:
    The child of the human female necromancer Iggwilv and the powerful demon Graz'zt, Iuz gained control of a small realm in the Howling Hills a little over a century ago, expanding its borders in a campaign notable for its horrific massacres.

If the realm in question was a small one in the Howling Hills, I don't think it could have extended to reach Dorakaa; that wouldn't be small, and it wouldn't be confined to the Hills. The construction of Kendragund represents the "first great step" in the conquest of his lands, so he couldn't have inherited that castle from his stepfather. Also, the local orcs tell stories of him arriving at the site with a fiendish army, which he wouldn't have needed to do if he had inherited that property. Krangord and Urzungard don't seem likely sites for Iuz's stepfather's manor, either. Krangord seems more recently built, and Urzungard has always been an orc citadel.

Finally, the Howling Hills seems mostly to be the home of orcs and undead, so I think perhaps while Iuz's stepfather ruled nearby, he didn't rule in the Howling Hills themselves. I think the idea of Iuz's stepfather ruling a realm that stretched from the Howling Hills to Dorakaa and defending it with a few hundred bandits seems unlikely.

From Iuz the Evil, page 3:
    Quote:
    As of 479 CY, what would become known as the Land of Iuz was only a collection of petty fiefs, with chiefs of minor bandit warbands and clans fighting each other for control of small swathes of barren land. One of these minor despots died in that year and his "son," Iuz, took control of a few hundred chaotic, vicious bandits. That was just the beginning, but then Iuz was no ordinary bandit's "son."

I think this also suggests that Iuz's stepfather was not the ruler of a city. However, I think Dorakaa must have been one of the "three fiefs neighboring his original holding" [Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, page 62] if conquering them terrified King Avras. So I'd suggest that the region between the Howling Hills and Lake Whyestil was divided into four roughly defined, heavily contested fiefs centering around Greenreach, Ghulford, a manor near where Kendragund would soon be built, and Dorakaa. Iuz's stepfather and various "minor clan leaders" ruled the northernmost one. Izlen represented a fifth, more westerly bandit holding.

So much for canon. My preference would actually be to place Bloodstone Pass from H1-4 in the Howling Hills, and have Vaasa be the territory to the north between the Howling Hills and the Cold Marshes, and Damara the petty fiefs to the south of the hills and north of Lake Whyestil, and have the events of those modules take place about 100 years before the rise of Iuz. H1 was originally set tenuously on Oerth anyway, and that kind of background would contribute to the flavor of the region.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:28 pm  

Vulcan wrote:
    I had always assumed that Dora Kaa and the neighboring petty states were simply a westward branch of the Bandit 'Kingdoms.'

One of the honorifics of the kings of Furyondy was "Provost of the Northern Reaches." Thus, at some point in time, the core lands of Iuz, probably from the Whystil to the Cold Marshes, was claimed by Furyondy, and not part of the Bandit Kingdoms. However, given the terrain, I can't imagine it was ever considered worth defending against all the various threats it faced, so that the "lords" of the region quickly took to banditry to supplement income.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:43 pm  

Some excerpts from here

Around CY 250, Stinvri, Viceroy of the Ferrond, declared his independence and wrested control of the Marklands from the Great Kingdom. In CY 256 he passed control of the region to his son, crowned as King Thrommel I (1)...

More than a century of nomad raids had reduced the northern lands (or Northern Reaches) to a ragtag collection of petty holdings run by warlords. They considered the change in government as merely the replacement of one distant figurehead for another, with little effect on their daily struggle for existence...

The northlands (east of the Veng, north of the Whyestil) never were actually granted their independence. Then again, the majority of petty rulers there never swore fealty to Thrommel to begin with. Their divided nature convinced Thrommel that they were not ready for self-governance yet, and he treated the lands like protectorates...

In the north, raids from the nomads had increased. The petty lords of the Northern Reaches were failing one by one.

Some excerpts from here

The ultimate victory against Iggwilv was not without its costs. A decade of preoccupation with Perrenland and the Velverdyva had left the Northern Reaches long neglected. With few Knights and no army patrols, the area had utterly collapsed into banditry. Though still claimed by Furyondy, none of the local lordlings recognized the rule or rights of the King (23). In CY 479 a local bandit lord of the Howling Hills region died and left his holding to a son named Iuz (24). This “man”, powerful and darkly handsome, quickly consolidated his inheritance. Using humanoid mercenaries, dark magics, and cunning strategies, he rapidly expanded his fief (25). At the time, elven Knights were still active in the Northern Reaches. They soon heard rumors of the new bandit lord, and duly reported them to Furyondy. Most troubling was the suggestion that Iuz employed humanoid mercenaries, when the policy of Furyondy had been to eliminate humanoids where possible. The elves recommended that the Furyondian Knights send a full commission of inquiry and assert dominion over Iuz’s holdings, forcing him to meet the standards of a subject of the King. But the Howling Hills were a long way from the civilized parts of Furyondy, and the King and his Knights alike were more interested in the estates just across the Veng and Whyestil than those in the distant north. They let the matter rest for the time being (26). The next year Iggwilv began her invasion of Perrenland and by CY 481 she was menacing the Highfolk. The Elven Hart was recalled from the Northern Reaches and Furyondy turned away from the matter (27).

But the problem of Iuz grew, as one sage has said, “like mold on an overripe peach” (28). As his domain spread, tales of horrors and atrocities reached Furyondy with increasing regularity. A road from Dorakaa (his new capital) to the Howling Hills lined with skulls. Watchtowers with fires fed by human fat. Iuz himself taking a huge, demonic form (29). Clearly, the rumors would have to be investigated and action would have to be taken. But the pressing matters of Bissel and Highfolk were deemed more important. The known dangers of Ket, Keoland, and Iggwilv were accorded more importance than the rumors from the north. By the time Iggwilv fell in CY 491, Iuz had conquered all the land between the Dulsi and Opicm Rivers and was regularly sending raiding parties into the Vesve (30).

When the fall of Iggwilv freed the Furyondi army and Knights, everyone knew that something would have to be done about Iuz. Tales of the horrible fates suffered by lord and vassale alike in the half-civilized barons on the northern shores of the Whyestil were common knowledge. But still, King Avras III (23) hesitated. A war against Iuz, now great in power, would deplete the army, impoverish the treasury, and yield little in land or booty for the participants. The northern lords pressed for immediate action, but to succeed the King would need the troops of the southern lords as well. They were loathe to have their men so far from the frontiers of Ket and Keoland, and attempted to wring concessions from the King (28). The war would likely extend beyond the period the King could demand free service from the nobles, and he had little to offer them. The line of selfless Furyondian monarchs had slowly lost lands relative to the nobles. The occupation and defense of Bissel had for the last half-century been a steady drain on the royal treasury (while enriching the noble rulers). King Avras’ attempts to increase taxes to pay for a campaign against Iuz were completely ineffective, aside from earning him the unjust moniker of “King Avarice”.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:24 pm  

Thanks for the feedback, these have been some great responses. I agree that Iuz's stepfather only ran a small fief either in or near the Howling Hills; given that he only left Iuz a couple hundred bandits, that's hardly an army large enough to control much more. It certainly makes sense that he spent a lot of time in the proximity of the Howling Hills in his youth, since the Soul Husks are also located there. I'd also speculate that Iggwilv delivered an infant Iuz to the bandit stepfather to secrete him from Graz'zt, so that Iuz would remain on Oerth to assist Iggwilv in her plans of conquest. I don't think there is a great deal of info regarding whether Graz'zt even knew of Iuz until he was older, when Iuz was mauled and deformed during Graz'zt's battle with Iggwilv.

And there is still more conflicting canon:
    From Dragon Magazine #336:
    Quote:
    Weakened, Iggwilv abandoned the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and , with her son, fled north. There, she helped Iuz gain power but soon left her son behind and departed those lands, during which she was finally lured into the abyss.

This article suggests Iuz didn't come to (presumabely) the Howling Hills until he was much older, at least a young adult. It also explains how he assisted Iggwilv in his youth to help her subjugate Perrenland, and there is no mention at all of a bandit chief stepfather.

Kirt, your articles are a huge help and extremely informative (from what I've read so far), I will definately finish reading them when I have time. Great job compiling all that info.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 pm  

Luz wrote:
    I'd also speculate that Iggwilv delivered an infant Iuz to the bandit stepfather to secrete him from Graz'zt, so that Iuz would remain on Oerth to assist Iggwilv in her plans of conquest. I don't think there is a great deal of info regarding whether Graz'zt even knew of Iuz until he was older,

Depending on how much you want to take from WG7, there is a scene in the Room of Love that could be metaphorically true. It would imply that Graz'zt knew about Iuz at least from his birth

I would some it up as follows:

Iggwilv and Graz'zt couple, although this is opposed by Orcus

Iuz is born

Grazz't seeks to destroy Iuz, but instead is damaged by him

Iggwilv and Grazz't grow distant because of the difference in opinion over Iuz

They engage in mutual infidelities

When these infidelities are discovered they become true antagonists

Luz wrote:

I don't think there is a great deal of info regarding whether Graz'zt even knew of Iuz until he was older, when Iuz was mauled and deformed during Graz'zt's battle with Iggwilv.

OK, this part I hadn't heard...please cite reference and quote, if possible!
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 am  

Kirt wrote:
    Luz wrote:

I don't think there is a great deal of info regarding whether Graz'zt even knew of Iuz until he was older, when Iuz was mauled and deformed during Graz'zt's battle with Iggwilv.

This reference is from Iggwilv's Legacy: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, describing the battle between Iggwilv and Graz'zt..

Quote:
    For hours the lovers battled, and the mountain shook with magic beyond the ken of most mortals. Iuz attempted to interfere, but instead the chaotic energy mauled and deformed him, warping his handsome visage into the repulsive guise he must wear today.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:56 pm  

Personally, I've never used material from WG7 and I don't think it is considered canon by most. I think its a parody of canon, so there is some merit beneath all the mirth.
    Kirt wrote:
    Luz wrote:

It is found in Iggwilv's Legacy, like DM Prata said, as well as the article from Dragon #336 I referred to earlier:
    Quote:
    Iuz suffered the worst from his parent's battle, his comely form shattered in two - one decrepit and manikinlike, the other red-skinned, hulking, and demonic.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: