Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Humanoid Elephants?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Humanoid Elephants?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 31, 2007 12:11 pm  
    Humanoid Elephants?

Is anyone aware of stats on such a creature? The image keeps popping up but so far I have not found a humanoid elephant race.

The image can be found as gods, golems, demons, polymorphed creature, etc. but so far as I am aware not a humanoid race. Yet in the Dungeon module, Rana Mor, they appear as a race, and I think they would be pretty cool as a race for Zahindia, Hepmonaland, etc., rather than just a random shape of various other creatures.

There appears to be a World of Warcraft card game with such a creature called a loxodon, but I see no way to translate that.

Anyone aware of such a humanoid race?

If one does not exist for D&D, in any of its various versions, I'll make one up, but I would prefer not to.

Thanks.

Thu May 31, 2007 3:01 pm  

There are four that I can think of.

There's the pachydermion, from the 0D&D Creature Catalogue: "very intelligent, elephant-like humanoids... at least 9' tall..."

There's the loxo, an 8' tall, two-trunked humanoid elephant described in the Monstrous Compendium Annual 1 and given 3e stats in the Forgotten Realms hardcover Shining South.

There's the maelephant, a fiendish creature native to the Lower Planes.

And there's the malfera, a native of the Dimension of Nightmares originally from the 0D&D Companion Set: "It has a large, elephant-like face and a short trunk. The head is topped by large horns. Large fangs protrude from either side of the trunk. The chest is a mass of slimy, short tentacles. Long, muscular arms end in large, jagged pincers. Its feet are webbed and clawed. It is colored night-black but has red veins and eyes."

You probably want the loxo.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 31, 2007 3:28 pm  

Thanks, Rasgon!

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:29 am  

There's a psionic elephant-like outsider, whose name escapes me atm.

Edit: Found them: The Baku. They're quadripeds though. But they fit very good into Zahindia imho, iirc the story included in the 2E PS MM was very indian in flavour.

Check out this thread on ENworl for a reprint of their different 2E stats including the story from PSMC1.

On that tangent: How do psionics figure into Zahindia?

Last edited by Thanael on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:50 am  

More on Pachydermions
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:31 am  

Thanks for the links, Thanael, I had found the second but not the first. I found a few others once Rasgon gave me the names to google. There is a spelljammer article for Loxo.

I particularly like the second link you gave because it mixes up various races. There sure is a lot to sort through.

Also, there is a fair bit of information on a Conan and Lovecraftian character with a similar description. Incorporating that info would be Gygaxian, IMO, although the two appear very different. For Conan, Yag-Kosha was a good, almost immortal wizard and from a race that once had wings and came from another planet. It would take some thinking through, but I think there is a good backstory to work out and tie in with the Torhoon, maybe even the Olman. The spelljammer/loxo stuff too, although I do not like the two trunk idea.

As far as psionics go, for me that is pretty easy. I do not use them. They are too complicated under AD&D, maybe other systems are different. When I rarely use creatures with such power, I convert them into spell-powers.

GVD provided in another forum post “In the d20/3X era there is the Mindshadows setting from Green Ronin that presents a psionic heavy pastiche of India - Naranjan - that you might find interesting.”

I have found something else to look at. There is a d20 mythical Indian setting called “Sahasra: Land of 1,000 Cities”. I haven’t had read it yet, but I started reading a module separately developed for it, “The Spirit in the Spice Grove” which is set in a monkey-men village. Not outstanding, but so far it looks pretty good and gives me something to set in the Vanaraja monkey-men kingdom I placed in West Zahindia. I do not known if Sahasra has any psyonic elements.

I can just see a typical party having an elephant-man fighter and a monkey-man thief. That might get boring if done over and over, but I haven’t done it yet, so it looks cool to me. Smile

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:08 am  

Too bad you don't like them. I think psionics fit the best into an india pastiche. Yogi, karma, meditation, all these seem to resonate strange mind powers.

As for the links. Did you read the story from PSMC1 ?

Also there is a thread called Zahindia and Dungeon magazine, did you already check out what Dragon magazine has to offer? I seem to recall one or two 2E articles with Indian character kits and equipment.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:48 am  

Quote:
    Too bad you don't like them. I think psionics fit the best into an india pastiche. Yogi, karma, meditation, all these seem to resonate strange mind powers.

It is not that I do not like strage mind powers, it is just that I do not like any psionic system that I have seen. I agree that those things should be in the setting, but for my purposes, I will use magic.

Quote:

Not yet, but I printed it out.

Quote:
    Also there is a thread called Zahindia and Dungeon magazine, did you already check out what Dragon magazine has to offer? I seem to recall one or two 2E articles with Indian character kits and equipment.

Yeah, all those Zahindia threads are ones I started. You might find some older ones I did not start under the name "Zahind", "Jahind" or "Zindia". I have found as much as I could in Dungeon without help and without buying every one to look at. I ordered I think 3 articles from Dragon that address the indian them.

My stack of reading is piling up. Smile I'm glad my wife will not chide be for spending all this money on a silly game. Wink

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:19 am  

I have some more reading for you. Did you already check out the 3E Oriental Adventures web enhancement: Mahasarpa ?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:17 am  

Thanael wrote:
    I have some more reading for you. Did you already check out the 3E Oriental Adventures web enhancement: Mahasarpa ?

Yeah, but I was not too impressed. I kept a copy and will see if there is somthing worth mining. There is probably something.

Quote:

I just did and I noticed the indian flavor. An interesting way of introducing them. I note that they are Japanese, though, not that such is a problem in this part of Oerth.

Baku are somewhat off tangent, but not entirely. More like mystical creatures, rather than a humanoid race, but one that can be tied to such a race.

I remember the picture from, what MM2?, and hated it. However, now that I have seen more picures in the below links, they are looking a lot more interesting.

http://www.lacma.org/programs/ArtWorkMonth0306.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku_(spirit)

http://www.tevader.com/decouverte/culture/images/baku.gif

http://www.asianartmall.com/bakuarticle.htm

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:14 pm  

There is an old Grendier Models elephantine rakshasa figure that you might like. Can't find a pic of it though.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: