JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - South of Zahindia
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    South of Zahindia
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon May 21, 2007 12:14 pm  
    South of Zahindia

Mostly a rough idea is necessary to fleshout Zahindia. The map Erik was working off, whether on paper or in his mind, does not comport with what is now canon, so in Bounds their are places south of Hitaxia. However, he clearly makes that place south of Vulzar and the Vanian confideration.

Tabu-Bel-Abu??!! Sultoon Rahman??!!- Yuk! needs a big iron.

Mon May 21, 2007 5:23 pm  
    Re: South of Zahindia

Wolfsire wrote:
    Mostly a rough idea is necessary to fleshout Zahindia. The map Erik was working off, whether on paper or in his mind, does not comport with what is now canon, . . .

Eric attempted to add to Oerth elements of the Sagard game books, penned by EGG and Flint Dillie and set in an alternate Oerth; Yarth, I believe. The result is, IMO, uneven and as you note, predates the "canon" of the Dragon Annual Map.

With respect to a "rough idea," my thought would be to borrow from the land forms of the Indian subcontinent as Zindia/India is pretty obvious, and to me, not at all offensive in its borrowing, particularly when dressed up as Zahind/Zahindia. IMC, I use approximations of the Indian princely states of the Raj.

Tue May 22, 2007 3:09 pm  

Shakani Empire?

TSROerth:

Quote:
    “Nippon: A densely populated island nation of fishermen, warriors, and poets. Unsure of the place's real name.
    Nippon Dominion: A protectorate only recently conquered by the warriors of Nippon.

Bounds of Oerik (cut, paste and paraphrase)

Quote:
    Long ago, after the magical chaos of the wars to the north ceased much of their activity, a powerful ruler from the city-state of Vane conquered the Skull and Hydranian Islands, thus ruling over an empire that extended to Hitaxia in the south to the border of the Vulzar Kingdom to the north.

Shakani Privateer Captain, Damreeg: tall and well muscled, and had olive-toned skin and very slightly slanted eyes. At first glance, I took him to be Baklunish (albeit a very large member of the race).

Hitaxian slavers and privateers discourage Vanian vessels bound for Hatanagar and the ports of the north. For the most part, they meet little resistance, save for a small but dedicated fleet of privateers employed by the ruler of Shaka [of which captain Damreeg was, and perhaps still is, a proud member].

Wed May 23, 2007 8:52 am  

Sounds like a reasonable interpretation - the pirates of Shaka conquered the former Vanian empire, recently, overthrowing their conquerers and bringing the battle to their homes. I like the adjective "Shakani," too.

I wouldn't make Damreej Baklunish, however.

It seems like all the pirates and things wandering around the far south could be tied into the Savage Tide material, somehow.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 am  

I wouldn't have Damreeg baklunish either. In fact, I don't think that is what Erik intended although I don't know what EGG wrote or had in mind.

For the northern Hydanians on the ethnicity map I had the people as predominately Suhfangi (W) with stong elements of Proto-Olman (Z) and lesser elements of Kersi (k) and Torhoon (x). Smillian suggested Javaneese and that sounds good to me. The southern Hydranians, IMO, would not follow the exact mix of the north. I have Slith as a little different.

I have not thought out the Suhfangi, but based on Bounds, I am thinking they are probably large and light skinned. See the forum where I posted that map. I am just about to post a draft description of some of the people of Zahindia. That does not include this area, but he Bantanese of Ranka Lost might be illustrative.

"the pirates of Shaka conquered the former Vanian empire, recently, overthrowing their conquerers and bringing the battle to their homes."

I don't think I would go with this. Per Bounds, they were conquered "long ago" after the twin cats and only remained so for a few generations before becoming a member o the Vanian Confderation. It seem like they are the only strong member of that confederation. I think perhaps they conqured Nipo (the only one of the 7 cities I had to make up. That would explain the name), with the consent of the other 5 to help check Hitaxia. The Nippon Dominion north of Vane and South of Ranka Lost will provide resources necessary to take on Hitaxia. They could very well be making in roads to dominate the rest of the confederation. But I want to keep Hitaxia as a rising power. This will set up a nice conflict and one that could keep Zahindia out of the battle, but more as a prize. With incorporating X4,5 and 10, Zahindia will have a war of its own.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: