Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Imaskari in Greyhawk???
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Imaskari in Greyhawk???
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:07 am  
    Imaskari in Greyhawk???

Does anyone know if there is _any_ link, tangential or otherwise, between the Imaskari/Imaskar and the World of Greyhawk?

For that matter is there _any_ link between the original Lost Tomb of Martek and the World of Greyhawk?

I am not aware of any.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:03 pm  
    Multiple question marks??? For emphasis???

They seem like they'd correspond pretty well with the ancient Suel, or with the pre-Hegira Baklunish. When I adapted the Hordelands to Oerth, I substituted the pre-Hegira Baklunish (before they migrated to the present Baklunish lands) for the Imaskari. The "deep Imaskari" from Underdark would be better substituted with "deep Suel" surviving beneath the Sea of Dust.

The Imaskari were proficient in planar travel, colonizing Earth at one point, so they certainly could have made contact with people on Oerth. I don't expect, or care, that it's canon that they've done so. But it's not unreasonable.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:49 pm  
    Re: Multiple question marks??? For emphasis???

rasgon wrote:
    The Imaskari were proficient in planar travel, colonizing Earth at one point, so they certainly could have made contact with people on Oerth. I don't expect, or care, that it's canon that they've done so. But it's not unreasonable.

Sensing a pattern over a couple threads, Rasgon, let me wax eloquent on the canon point you've made. Smile

You are, IMO, right - ultimately canon is irrelevant to what works or what's cool. That doesn't mean, however, that the question of whether there is any grounding for something in canon, tangential or otherwise, is irrelevant. If there is already some sort of canon on a topic, being aware of it allows you to avoid or finese any obvious contradictions between what you are doing and what may already exist in the fabric of a setting. This is not to say that you must avoid contradictions but it is to say that, IMO, you are better off knowing the potential contradiction exists so that you can make an informed decision about how you want to handle it. I like informed decisions when I can make them. Smile

Anyway. I take it that you are not aware of any reference to the Imaskari/Imaskar in Greyhawk lore, tangential or otherwise.

Anybody else? Rasgon and I are drawing blanks here. Smile

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:08 am  

Rasgon set me straight (thanks, by the way) in another thread on the distinction between the Wind Dukes and the Crafters.

Could the Crafters have been Imaskari? I don't know much at all about the Imaskari, but the Crafters loose end really bugs me. I don't know why; guess I'm just wierd that way. Smile

To stay on point, it is my understanding that the Pharoah series originally had no setting references at all, and was "forced" into FR when compiled as Desert of Desolation - much like I'm attempting to force a solution on the identity of the Crafters. Smile
    GreySage

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:20 pm  

Jeminnab wrote:
    Could the Crafters have been Imaskari?

Unless they traveled through time somehow, the Crafters are many thousands of years too early. Time seems to pass on Oerth and Toril (where the Imaskari are from) at the same rate (although the Torilian year is a few days longer, equivalent to that of Earth).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: