JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Help on Near-Cataclysms Campaign
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Help on Near-Cataclysms Campaign
    Novice

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:25 pm  
    Help on Near-Cataclysms Campaign

I've been playing with an idea of running a Greyhawk campaign set around the time of the Twin Cataclyms. Searches have resulted in pieces of information on this era, some of them contradictory. I would love some help if it is out there somewhere.

Read further for details, but the above paragraph sums up my post.

What I'm hoping to develop is a political map of the Flanaess (primarily western half) and the Baklunish and Suel Empires just before the Cataclysms. I would also hope to have a timeline of sorts for this specific time period to help me out as play moves forward.

What I would love to hear is that someone has already done this! I don't have my fingers crossed.

I'm slowly making a list of notes from articles from Canonfire, various timelines, my stash of Greyhawk material, and the Oerth Journal (among others). I've already got contradictions (Vecna domain already crushed vs. still present, Isle of Woe already sunk or not, Vecna capital at Isle of Woe vs. further west, etc, etc).

I have a couple of potential players who know nothing of Greyhawk. I would like to have them start in Ull/Suel/Baklunish, then be present during the fall of these domains and migrations east (perhaps they pass through Slerotin's tunnel!). As time passes, perhaps they could be involved in the defeat of Vecna's forces and helping establish what will one day be Keoland. White Plume Mountain would already be occupied by a famous wizard, and perhaps a certain Queen reigns in Ehlissa/Ahlissa. Etc, etc. Just ideas at the moment.

Point me at a treasure trove of information on this period or post what you know here please!.

Last edited by Sturn on Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:35 pm  

I as well have thought about having the PCs adventure in a time during the cataclysms. If Greyhawk could ever be reinvented, this would be my first choice. Rather than having the current timeline continue in the next wave of Greyhawk products I would love to see it start from the beginning.

This being followed by other notable moments in the timeline in order to properly tie together the entire known history. It would give creators the opportunity to eliminate contradictions as well, making this aspect of GH complete.

Not likely to see it happen but it would be cool.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:19 pm  

These are my notes so far. Please reply with any problems with my information or if you have something you can add. I will edit this document as I get updates. Currently forming the headings below, will be filling them in from my notes as I progress. THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS! I exspecially need suggestions on the contradictions.

Default date for the information below has been set at approximately -425 CY.

NOTES ON CONTRADICITONS IN SOURCE MATERIAL

My favorite two sources have been the Grey Chrondex / Canonfire articles and the detailed history within the Oerth Journal. They contradict each other on important issues for a near-Cataclysm campaign.

On Vecna: The Oerth Journal has Vecna's reign occuring long before the Twin Cataclysms. He is found in the far eastern Flanaess and responsible for the fall of the ancient elven City of Summer Stars. He is then killed long before the Twin Cataclysms by Kas. This conflicts with Vecna having a capital in the Rushmoors (or the Isle of Woe) while having an empire in the western Flanaess that doesn't fall until after the Twin Cataclysms, when Kas destroys Vecna.

Not sure how to resolve this. I perfer the Vecnan Empire existing during the Twin Cataclysms for a campaign set in this area. It creates a great protagonist. The Oerth story of Vecna is very detailed and likeable. Perhaps Vecna, in living form, destroys the City of Summer Stars, and is killed himself, but remove any reference to Kas in this period. Then, Vecna, in undead form, rises again to he west during the time of the Twin Cataclysms, and meets his new champion, Kas.

Slerotin and the Suel Migrations: Both the Grey Chrondex and the Oerth Journal (and other sources) have\Suel migrations to the Thillronian and Tilvanot Peninsulas before the Twin Cataclysms. But, the Oerth Journal has Slerotin key in these Suel migrations, opening his tunnel before the Twin Cataclysms and traveling with his Suel people. The Chrondex and Canonfire articles have Slerotin opening the tunnel years after the Twin Cataclysms, and not traveling with his people as they moved further eastward.

Not sure what I want to do here. The Oerth Journal has a nice detailed history of Suel migrations in which Slerotin is pivotal. I would like to keep this. This would be opposed to the primary Suel migrations having nothing to do with Slerotin that moved through the mountains later. Perhaps I will concede that th primary Suel migrations were before the Twin Cataclysms, but also include Slerotin was part of them (as in the Oerth Journal)

PEOPLES

human

Baklunish: Found within the Baklunish Empire which extends further to the west (then the Flanaess maps). Some nomadic tribes have moved to the northern Flanaess plains.

Suel: The Suel are primarily found within their empire, but some have already moved eastward. Suel have migrated over (around?) the Hell Furnaces to what will later be the Yeomanry and the Hold of the Sea Princes. Some Suel, under the leadership of the estranged son of their emperor, have migrated east (with the help of Slerotin the Mage of Power and his tunnel), finally stopping at the Tilvanot Peninsula and within modern day Sunndi. Other Suel, in pursuit of these migrators, have settled the Thillronian Peninsula. There are some contradcitions here. See above. The Suel may also already be in the Amedio Jungle, check on this.

Less then 200 years ago, plagues swept the Suel Empire. The empire has been at war with the Baklunish for approximately 20 years and the nation recently suffered internal strife during the Succession Wars.

The Suel Empire is similar in culture and technology to the Roman Empire.

Suel is ruled by many noble houses (see below). Zunid-ad-Zol of House Zolax is the current emperor of the Suel Empire. His son Zellifar-ad-Zol is a mage/priest of Beltar.

Suel gods are the only accepted form of worship within the empire, and the cult of Tharizdun has been making a come back within recent years.

House Schnai: Was the ruling house of the Suel Empire. Recently removed from power during the Succession Wars. The Schnai have migrated to the northeastern Flanaess while in pursuit of the Emperor's son and his followers.

House Zolax: Recently come to power during the Succession Wars. Ruling house of the empire.

House Fruztii: The Fruztii have migrated to the northeastern Flanaess while in pursuit of the Emperor's son and his followers.

House Cruskii: The Cruskii have migrated to the northeastern Flanaess while in pursuit of the Emperor's son and his followers.

House Neheli:

House Rhola:

Zolites: The people who left with the Emperor's son and Slerotin against the Emperor's wishes. They are said to number 8,000. Is Zolite a house name? Probably not, since the prince is born of House Zolax. One source states that "several" houses comprised the Zolites, but they numbered only 8,000.

Olman: The Olman are found in the Amedio Jungle (and nearby islands) and Hepmonaland. The Olman Empire within the Amedio is in decline, on the verge of a civil war. The Emperor was assassinated approximately 30 years ago (-490 CY). Tomoachan is still standing, it will not fall until the civil war of -425 CY.

Flan: The primitive Flan tribes are scattered throughout the Flanaess. Most are comprised of primitive stone to bronze age tribes, but a few more civilized kingdoms exist. Some known kingdoms are listed below:

Kingdom of Ehlissa: The "Queen" of Ehlissa currently rules a kingdom in the area of modern day Ahlissa. The Queen rules with her marvelus artifact. Due to notes on the length of her reign, the Queen of this Flan kingdom may actually be an Elf?

Kingdom of Sulm: This kingdom has already fallen. The Bright Desert is spotted with ruins of this fallen Flan nation. The people of Sulm were corrupted by an artifact of their king. The Oerth Journal has Vecna turning the area into a desert before the Kingdom of Sulm...so why would it have arose in such a place? A minor contradiction.

Vecnan Empire: Vecna, a liche born of the Flan, rules an empire from the northern Sheldomar Valley. His capital is within the Rushmoors. Vecna's evil empire is ruled with his general Kas and the help of Ur-Flan necromancers. Vecna's true power is primarily around the northern Sheldomar Valley, but some influence extends to the southern Sheldomar and towards the Nyr Dyv. Many contradictions here. Some sources, such as information from the Oerth Journal have Vecna's Empire in the eastern Flanaess, and has it as already fallen long before the Twin Cataclysms. The information above is based more upon Canonfire articles. Some sources also suggest Vecna's capital is at the Isle of Woe within the Nyr Dyv.

Oeridian:

demi-human

Elves: The Elven "capital" is within Celene. Celene has frontier settlements within Silverwood, Dreadwood, and the Dim Forest. High Elves are found more dominantly in the frontier settlements. These forests are somewhat larger then they are in modern Oerik. Valley Elves have already been shunned by the Grey, Sylvan, and High Elves and are found within their name valley. Drow have fled to the UnderDark long ago and thus are found under the western mountain ranges near the Suel Empire. Sea Elves have left to the Flanaess oceans long ago during the Great Embarkation. The original? city of the Grey Elves, the City of Summer Stars within the Adri Forest, has already fallen. Some information reports Vecna destroyed this city. See the contradiction notes above. Also, look up information on the original Elven settlements and when the various Elven sub-races came about.

Dwarves: The Crystalmist Mountains is the homeland of the Dwarves. Mountain Dwarves are found here, while Hill Dwarves are more commonly found elsewhere. The High King of the Cyrstalmist Mountains still possesses the Axe of Dwarven Lords.

Halflings:

Gnomes:

humanoids

Giants:

Orcs/Goblins: Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, and other goblinoid/humanoid races are common within the mountain ranges of the western Flanaess. Humanoid races are used as mercenaries in the Baklunish-Suel war. Add details of what mountain ranges.

Lizard-folk: Trodlodyte Empire was in Amedio Jungle? Notes on the conflict with the Elves>{?i}

PLACES

Suel Empire:

Baklunish Empire:

Vecnan Empire:

Yoemanry/HoldofSeaPrinces: Settled by Suel colonists. Frontier colonies of the Suel Empire.

Western Mountain Ranges:

Southern Sheldomar Valley:

North Flan Plains:

Central Flan (Nyr Dyv area):

South-Central Flan (Celene/Pomarj/Wild Coast):

Northeastern Flan Mountains:

Eastern Plains (future Aerdy):

South Eastern Flan:

Tilvanot Peninsula:

Hepmonaland:

Amedio Jungle:

THINGS

TIMELINE

[i]Possible contradictions in italics.

-644 or -645 CY: Johydee frees the Oerdians of the tyranny of the Suel.

-458 CY: Oeridian migrations east at peak point.

-446 CY: Suel move across the Harsh Pass to the east.

-447 CY: Zellif Ad-Zol, price of the Suel Empire, flees east with 8000 followers, some settling within Pawluck Valley (Sunndi) when allying with Grey Elves.

-444 CY: Zellif Ad-Zol and followers settle the Tilvanot Peninsula.

-425 CY: Kevalli Mauk proposes the Scarlet Brotherhood to nobles within the Suel Empire, founding of this order.

-422 CY: Twin Cataclysms of Invoked Devastation and Rain of Colorless Fire.

-419 CY: Kevellis Mauk and followers of the Scarlet Brotherhood reach the Tilvanot Peninsula, already settled by prior Suel.

RESOURCES/REFERENCES

Wikipedia entries
    Oerth Journals
    Grey Chrondex
    Canonfire articles
    Living Greyhawk Gazateer
    World of Greyhawk Gazateer (1980)
    World of Greyhawk Gazateer (1983)
    Vecna Lives
    Ivid the Undying
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: