ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Monopoly
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Monopoly
    Site Theocrat

Tue May 22, 2007 9:29 am  
    Greyhawk Monopoly

Hi all –
    On my GreyhawkOnline.com site, someone did a conversion of the Wars! Campaign for Greyhawk and set it up like Castle Risk – he divided the Eastern portion of the Flanaess – mainly the Great Kingdom area – into Risk like states.

With Monopoly selling out to NFL, The Simpson’s, Shrek the Third getting its own Monopoly, and even a VegasOpoly and Ohiopoly (what could possibly be in Ohio that people would want to declare that they own 3 properties with hotels?), I figure it’s high time Greyhawk received it’s own Monopoly conversion.

Here’s just a start and here’s to hoping that other people take up the call and we make this work. These are quick ideas and in no way set in stone – so many people have much deeper knowledge of Greyhawk that they’d have better opinions.
    But in the end, I’d like to post this on Greyhawk Online. Maybe even be able to make new Property Cards and Community Chest and Chance cards as well. Of course, Money gets converted into Platinum, Gold, Electrum, Silver, and Copper (so what if 3e doesn’t have much Electrum, Greyhawk does!).
    Also this could be done almost twice. Once for Cities/ Nations and another for Modules and locations. Like a property would be a nation like the Sea Princes or Yeomanry and others could be major cities such as Niole Dra, Dyvers, and Greyhawk City. Or you could have EX 1 and EX 2 be the Baltic properties, Tomb of Horrors as Boardwalk, and White Plume Mountain as Park Place, with the Lich from ToH being the jail, and S3 being the utilities (since they have the technology).
    But I think a hybrid of cities, nations and some module’s being properties would be best. Heck, who would not love to own the Keep on the Borderlands? Sure, I know the B series doesn’t officially belong to Greyhawk, but it’s iconic.

Playing Pieces: Dog – Choochee? / Boot – Greyhawk Night watchman / Car - / Cannon - / Horse - / Thimble – spell book /
    Houses / Hotels – Taverns / Inn’s
    Cards: Community Chest and Chance – Treasure Chest and Isis’s Fortune
    Jail – Pomarj or Dakorra / Just Visiting -
    Go – Adventurers Guild (although I know there is no "official AG") / what about RJK's Green Dragon Inn? Remember the old coloring book {us old-timers do!}
    Income Tax ($200 or 10%) – Tax Collector / Bandit Kingdoms
    Utlities Electric Company – Greyhawk Wizard School / Water Company – Nyr Dyv
    Luxury Tax ($75) – Same / Bandit Kingdoms
    Rail Roads – Circle of Eight, Greyhawk’s Oligarchy, Depotrix of Hardby, Kimbertos Scotti, Nyrond’s ruling family – Major Political Groups – that if you owned all 4 you’d be pretty powerful. Or even something like The Giant Series, Demonweb Pits (original series), the Malachite Throne, Iuz’s throne, the Basilica, or other iconic locations/ temples/ thrones.

Baltic / Mediterranean Property – 2 Pomarj cities – or one would be the Pomarj and the other could be Turosh Mak.
    Light Blue – Giant Series for each, or something like Sea Princes, Yeomanry and Sterich
    St. Charles block (purple iirc) – one would have to be semi-important because a card can send you there. So I’m thinking something like Keoland / Veluna region with Hoccoch module or Temple of Elemental Evil as the main one. If so, then Kimbertos works well as the railroad card. I think the card should take you to the village of hommlett, which would of course take you to Verbobonc.
    Next is the New York area (orange) – very popular area in monopoly, and I’ve always pictured Nyrond as being Orange. Also, it’s right next to the Free Parking, which I think might be a good Dragon Horde, but what else is in the area that would promote FP? I know in my “house” rules, we always put our tax money and jail money into FP and when you land on it, you get the jack pot. We always put $100 to start as well. This is why I like the Dragon Horde.
    Red – Illinois area – this area also has a card that sends you there – but with Illinois and Ull so close, I think this one needs to be called Ullinois. And isn’t there a famous artifact in this region? Something that also be a property? But then Furyondy needs to be represented someplace and this seems like the perfect area.
    Yellow - The Water company separates this area, so if we went with the Nyr Dyv I’d think that the Shield Lands, Lands of Iuz, maybe even the Nomads might fit here. Nyrond, Urnst States, Cairn Hills, man so much around that area.
    Green – North Carolina, Pennsylvania area – Because this is the 2nd most expensive area, I’d think the former Great Kingdom would be represented. Maybe even one of the properties could be Ivid the Undying, while the other two could be the other two rulers of the GK. I’m just throwing something here, because I’ve not added much in the way of modules.
    Park Place and Boardwalk – Park Place has to be Dyvers. Dyvers was once the Jewel of Furyondy, the capital of the Western Flanaess, until that upstart Greyhawk City elected that crazy arch-mage mayor. If Greyhawk is Boardwalk, maybe Free Parking isn’t a dragon horde, but Greyhawk Ruins.

What do you think? I’m not too sure this would be hard to do. Heck, if we can do some of this off board, we might even be able to convince Duicarthaian to let us print it in the Oerth Journal. Heck, if we could get someone that could draw to help with a board we’d be all set. We could even change the rules a bit, since it is still Dungeons & Dragons, that if you land on a property that is owned by someone else, and they don’t have a tavern / inn in place then you could do a roll-off to avoid paying rent. You’d have to be real lucky, like win 3 roll-off’s to be able to take control of their property – but that is combining a little bit of Risk in the monopoly and isn’t exactly what I was thinking (but optional rules!).

I know the people of CanonFire! and WotC’s boards can come up with better properties than I alone can. Let’s make this happen.

Theocrat Issak

P.S. – I must be slipping, I didn’t even propose a Theocracy of the Pale or Church of the One True Path of Pholtus region. Wow. Hmm, maybe that will have to be on one of the Community Chest or Chance cards – Inquisition, move forward 3 spaces to hide for Community Chest and Inquisition - lose a turn for chance.

I hope someone can help with this, I think it would be a very fun experience and would really help people new to GH to learn a bit about the background of it all. But we gotta pay homage to old and new stuff, so it couldn't be all 1e modules, although most of the 3e stuff is too generic.

Tue May 22, 2007 10:15 am  

Shocked Wow that is a monumental idea. Ullinois cracks me up of course. Do we have any closet board game designers out there?
    Site Theocrat

Tue May 22, 2007 11:19 am  
    Re-write the game - not re-design.

I don't think we need to re-deign thr game. More along the lines of determining which Greyhawk applicable thing would fit where. The cards should be really just the same thing - still win $10 for 2nd place in the beauty contest - but maybe make it pick a nobles pocket, win $10 (gp), or prevent nobles baby's from being kidnapped (Nightwatch novel) rewarded $200 (bank error in your favor). So this way you're not chaning the rules, or even the way things work - because with that card, you'd still get the $200 and $10. Pay each player $50 would still be in there, but it could be - The church of Pelor, Rao and Pholtus are demanding a Sun tithe, pay each player.
    The take a ride on the reading railroad would be - You've been invited to view the Tomb of Acerack's Artifacts. If you do not own the Museaum of Acerack, you may purchase it, however, if it is already owned, you must pay the owner twice the value. (which means the Tomb of Horrors would have to be the Reading Railroad). If it was Circle of Eight, The Co8 have called you from your adventures. If the Co8 has not been bribed, you may do so, however, if they have a prior commitment, you must double the bribe.
    These are just being thrown out there, on a whim.
    And the Ullinois was a shout-out to you. You're where I got that idea from.
    I think that we'd need a board game designer if you were to modify the rules - like losing a turn, moving forward 3 spaces (although, I think there is a card for that), or even the idea of taking over a property or being able to not pay by fighting a battle. This part would require a person that would be able to compute how much change in the game doing something like that would effect the game, as well as how to develop that. But I think that is secondary to the idea of placing Greyhawk namesakes.
    Be Well. Be Well Greyopolied.
    Theocrat Issak
    Novice

Tue May 22, 2007 2:32 pm  

Of course Jail would have to be Castle Greyhawk. The card would read "Go directly to Castle Greyhawk, do not pass go, do not collect 200 Gold Orbs"
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue May 22, 2007 9:59 pm  

No specific characters should be used. Monopoly is about territories.

For instance, the two Pomarj areas could be Highport and Suderham(doesn't matter that it is NOW destroyed), or instead of Suderham choose blue instead.

The utilites or Railroads are oprime for organziations though, as they are not really territories. Put your Co8, knightly orders, and other things here. Knightly orders would be good for the railroads as those are all the same thing but different, whereas the utilites are different types of things and so the more...illicit...groups might be better for them(Seekers, Silent Ones, Co8, and one more).

As to Ullinois, I'd just make it Ull. Keep it 100% GH(sorry Mort Sad )

Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:28 am  

I love it. Ive always been a fan of all the XXXopoly franchises and a greyhawkopoly would be nice. I love playing the D&D clue which did have modifications to the rules (wandering monsters) So having one small rule addition that doesn't overall affect game play (IE giving an extra turn or taking it away) would be a great way to make it unique.Properties should be nations and the utilities should be powerful artifacts. And in the XXXopolys the railroads traditionally are other modes of transportation although making them Powere players of Oerth gives it nice flavor. It should be on the chance and community chests where we get actually NPC's mentioned such as Learn new spells from Mordenkainen advance to Greyhawk City. Or Acerak has claimed another victim go directly to the Tomb of Horrors. Or maybe the tokens could be modeled for Iconic NPC's Tenser, Bigby, Rary, Yrag the Lord, or And of Tdon.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:27 am  

Since the original "Monopoly" was all based in one city (Atalantic City), the Greyhawk version should all be based in Greyhawk itself. Later, you could do versions for Rel Mord, Radigast, Niole Dra, Chendl, Rel Astra, etc.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: