JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Weird of Gnatmarsh
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Weird of Gnatmarsh
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:45 pm  
    The Weird of Gnatmarsh

Does anybody have any info about this villian? I know Wanes Starcoat defeated her years ago, but that's all... I'd like to know if she's human or a Hag? What powers does she have, history, etc... and she's not the same individual as Iggwilv, is she? HELP! Confused
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:42 pm  

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Weird+of+Gnatmarsh&btnG=Search

Once again, Google is your friend. Learn it, live it. Cool

The Weird is NOT Iggwilv. Iggwilv lays low Demon Lords. Warnes Starcoat would be blasted to crap by the Mother of Witches.

Not much specific is known of the Weird.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 am  

She might be a hag or some other race although some sources do mention the coven as being hags or witches. Her followers are described as "croaking" in one source (I think LGJ # 0), so you know what that smells like: Wastri!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:57 am  

She was a hag wizard from one of the Gygax novels whose daughter married a local Urnst nobleman. Under the Dragon article about the Ecology of the Hag, their daughters appear human until they reach their 40's so it makes some kind of sense.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:40 pm  

PaulN6 wrote:
    She was a hag wizard from one of the Gygax novels whose daughter married a local Urnst nobleman. Under the Dragon article about the Ecology of the Hag, their daughters appear human until they reach their 40's so it makes some kind of sense.

I love that Ecology series on the hags. What Gygax novel was that reference to the Weird in? I haven't read anything other than Night Arrants.

Off topic but I figure this doesn't warrant its own post yet it's too funny not to point out. I was googling the Gord books and came across this excerpt on Amazon from the book Sweet Jesus, I Hate Bill O'Reilly: "This is especially evident in O'Reilly's books, where he moves from Puritan to dirty old man with the agility of Gord the Rogue." Laughing
    CF Admin

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:14 pm  
    Future Article

Cebrion wrote:
    Not much specific is known of the Weird.

Sounds like a good future Canonfire! article for someone willing to delve into this bit of obscure history.

Happy

Don (Greyson)
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:38 pm  

Somebody is actually doing some work on the Weird already, but it's not me. ;)

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:27 pm  

I just thought of this and maybe others have too but has anyone ever considered that the Weird of Gnatmarsh may be a twisted elemental weird of some sort? A paraelemental ooze weird? Maybe a half-elemental weird half something else?
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:10 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I just thought of this and maybe others have too but has anyone ever considered that the Weird of Gnatmarsh may be a twisted elemental weird of some sort? A paraelemental ooze weird? Maybe a half-elemental weird half something else?

I haven't read up on the Weird so this may be off, but I think an evil elemental weird would be excellent. I"m currently using an earth weird as a recurring NPC in one of my campaigns, and she's turning out to be a great tool. I suspect if turned to evil a similar character could be an excellent villain. The only problem is, unless I'm mistaken weirds don't move around much. The inability to move is a big weakness for a villain in most cases.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:18 am  

Isn't their a half-elemental template? Maybe half green hag, half water elemental and give her some variant powers ala water wierd?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:05 pm  

Sometimes villians get to cute - special this, half that...

I rather like the idea of a green hag coven without any special anything, just because a villian is "by the book" doesn't mean they can't be memorable.

If everything is a special variant and a half-breed, they become the norm not special at all.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:19 am  

I kinda like the idea of an intelligent para-elemental entity of mud and ooze that controls the marsh from below. Reminds me of the lurker of the Sarangrave Flats!
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: