Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Corsairs and Pirates - An Oerth Jolly Roger?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Corsairs and Pirates - An Oerth Jolly Roger?
    Master Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:14 pm  
    Corsairs and Pirates - An Oerth Jolly Roger?

I am writing a series of articles on the Dramidj Ocean and their is no mention of any "jolly roger" for the various corsairs and pirates.

Especially since the Janasib, Quayah-Bureis and Ataphad City States have no coat of arms I can find. I know the pomarj have yellow sails and the various nations "privateers" use the national colors but anyone have an idea for a pirate flag?

Thought I would throw it open for discussion: Is there a jolly roger or do pirates fly a coat of arms?

For any herald inspired posters; possible examples are more then welcome; just no black flags or skull and crossbones - something more creative.

My idea was a blood red Kracken on a blue background - too cliche?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:58 pm  

No more Cliche than Skulls and black. You can always take a cue from historical med eastern cultures and make a flag or banner that has some writing on it in praise of the gods. But I don't think the kraken is al that cliche although I would see that more fitting for the Northern Suel barbarians than the Dramidji. But I would think they would use any creature from that particular ocean that was fearsome and had a reputation for destroying ships. Basically something that would make a statement about the Corsairs themselves.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:21 pm  

How about selecting a particularly vile deity of your choosing and modifying the holy symbol so that it reflects the pirates. The pirates would then be supports of that religion, perhaps kind of a cult of some sorts.

Another option could be to have the pirates in service of an undead lord, giving them an undead crew of sorts or possibly serving a underwater race such as the saughin, and deriving a flag from them.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:54 pm  

Eileen stop communing with Istus already you are giving away some of my plot hooks Confused

I want to keep it simple and direct

I have been giving it some thought: Janasibs corsairs in part are descended from the satraps the were forced out of what became zeif by Ozef who established Al Akbar, Dragon turtle slew him and janasib is a hot bed for Xan Yae worship.

Well there is no hope of a return, much like Taiwan reconquest of china, I can see the cosairs as an insult using Zeif colors for there own flag.

Janasib (Red Background and Gold Design)
    1) Broken Cup of Al Akbar
    2) Broken Spindle of Istus
    3) Dragon Turtle Shell
    4) Gold Lotus Blossom

Quayah-Bureis: meeting place for all major sea powers which use there own designs.

Ataphad Islands: I see 3 city states and numerous villages, the 2 northern are flan led necromancies and the southern one has undead but less visible more baklunish flavor, all allied with saughin. Since most naval warships are oar powered galleys.

Ataphad City States (Pale Green Background and Black Design)
    Broken Oar

Had two other ideas but I really like the simplicity and starkness of the black broken oar for Ataphads. Love to see it; any designers willing.

Feedback...
    Master Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:10 pm  

Ooops, Sorry...was just trying to help.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:12 am  

No problem; jk Wink

Which option do you like?

Maybe I should create a poll...
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:08 am  

I think Murlynd said it best when he ran into Jack Sparrow:

"There aint enough room on Oerth for more than one real world-ish anachronistic cliche'."

BLAM! BLAM!

Happy

Actual nations put their heraldry on their ships' sails(or simply use the main colors from the heraldry) in my campaign, while others will just fly a triangular pennant with a simple color scheme on it(merchants in the main) and use the regular "white" canvas sails. Colored sails have been used in Greyhawk though. The yellow sails of the Slave Lords ships are one example. The purple sails of the specific slaver ship "The Ghoul" also comes to mind. Also, I believe it is mentioned somewhere that Scarlet Brotherhood ships use red sails.

For me, there are no actual Jolly Roger flags. Instead, I'd go with different colored sails and/or actually have the ships painted different colors. Prow ornamentation is another good way of identifying ships.

"Captain! This ship following us bears a sahuagin with a trident upon it's prow."

"To arms! Tis' the Sea Devil, the flagship of Black Morgan's pirate fleet!"

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:27 pm  

Thanks Cebrion; as a side note, all the baklunish states seem to use a red/gold color heraldry.

I could simply change the "corsair flag" to national flags.
    Janasib (Red Background and Gold Design)
    Gold Lotus Blossom
    Due to the religious connection (historic desire for acceptance)

Ataphad City States (Pale Green Background and Black Design)
    Broken Black Oar
    Flan ruled and necromancy (colors show outcast state)

Feedback...
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:41 pm  

The Baklunish states pose a bit of a problem concerning state colors on sails, but you could use red & gold penants( I like red & gold streamers better for the Baklunish) on the top of the masts and use designated fleet colors for the sails. The wood work on such ships, and even the design of the ships should be different from eastern ships too- similar but different(but functionally the same).

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:33 am  

This is a really cool topic Crag. I don't have any relevant feedback (yet) but I am really looking forward to what you have written.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 pm  
    Re: Corsairs and Pirates - An Oerth Jolly Roger?

Crag wrote:
    I am writing a series of articles on the Dramidj Ocean and their is no mention of any "jolly roger" for the various corsairs and pirates.

Especially since the Janasib, Quayah-Bureis and Ataphad City States have no coat of arms I can find. I know the pomarj have yellow sails and the various nations "privateers" use the national colors but anyone have an idea for a pirate flag?

Thought I would throw it open for discussion: Is there a jolly roger or do pirates fly a coat of arms?

For any herald inspired posters; possible examples are more then welcome; just no black flags or skull and crossbones - something more creative.

My idea was a blood red Kracken on a blue background - too cliche?

Make the pirate flag whatever you want it to be. Historically, there was no uniform "jolly roger." Pirates would only fly the jolly roger once they had their prey within reach (they would otherwise fly the flags of various nations). Different pirates had different versions, but they were usually black with white markings, & featured a human skull or skeleton. Sometimes red was added to the mix. All-red & al-yellow flags are said to have been used as well. What we think of as the stereotypical jolly roger, the skull & crossbones, was used by Edward England.

A number of pirate flags can be seen here (scroll down): http://www.kipar.org/piratical-resources/pirate-flags.html
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: