JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - snake cult round-up
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    snake cult round-up
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:42 pm  
    snake cult round-up

I'm trying to make sense of the numerous references to snake cults in GH materials. So far I'm aware of...

*The Snake Lord mentioned in GotF page 14.

*The "Suloise snake goddess" from the description of Serpent Isle in Ivid the Undying (Mona attempted to connect this goddess to Beltar in the LGG page 166).

*The Serpent from the Vecna materials.

*The deities in Monster Mythology, namely Merrshaulk, Parrafaire, and Shekinester.

A new Beast Lord on par with Rexfelis is another possibility for development...

Anyway, I have a few questions:
    1) IIRC, I once saw other references to a "Suloise snake goddess." Can anyone point me in the right direction, maybe one of Sargent's other works or an Oerth Journal?

2) Where was "Mok'slyk" first used as The Serpent's name?

3) What am I missing? I'm sure there are more references. Was anything added in 3E? It's also been awhile since I read the Gord books.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:45 pm  
    Re: snake cult round-up

vestcoat wrote:
    3) What am I missing? I'm sure there are more references. Was anything added in 3E? It's also been awhile since I read the Gord books.

On page 36 of The Scarlet Brotherhood by Sean Reynolds (2nd ed.), there is mention of two serpent-gods worshipped by the Olman and the Touv. The Touv deity was named Meyanok. There's not a lot but I'm pretty sure there are other references in the book if you read it thoroughly.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm  

Though certainly not GH canon nor even a particularly good adventure, Fortress of the Yuan-ti has tons of snakey shenanigans you can steal from.
    GreySage

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:55 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    1) IIRC, I once saw other references to a "Suloise snake goddess." Can anyone point me in the right direction, maybe one of Sargent's other works or an Oerth Journal?

It's in the description of the Vale of the Lamia in From the Ashes. The local lamias worship her.

Quote:
    2) Where was "Mok'slyk" first used as The Serpent's name?

In the Vecna: Hand of the Revenant comic book.

Quote:
    3) What am I missing? I'm sure there are more references. Was anything added in 3E?

The yuan-ti have a lot of different names given to their deities. I tried to list them all here: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yuan-ti#Religion Sch'theraqpasstt, Sarthis, Merrshaulk, Tlaloc, Demogorgon, Sertrous.

The Forgotten Realms accessory Serpent Kingdoms featured a number of other scaly gods. See here for a broader list derived in part from there.

Asmodeus is also described as a serpent in Guide to Hell, the twin of the couatl god/goddess Jazirian (from Monster Mythology).

Of course, lots of the Olman gods have serpentine aspects, including Quetzalcoatl and Coatlicue.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:08 am  

Thanks everyone!

rasgon wrote:
    vestcoat wrote:

It's in the description of the Vale of the Lamia in From the Ashes. The local lamias worship her.

That's it!
    Lenard Lakofka purists can fit the Suel snake goddess into Beltar's portfolio but I like the idea of a different and forgotten deity.

More thoughts...

*The Campaign Book entry states that "travelers tales speak of the lamia directing swarms of poisonous snakes to repel the over-curious" (37). This reminds me of the endless snake fountain on level two of Castle Greyhawk (Greyhawk supplement p63). Perhaps the fountain is dedicated to the snake goddess.

*The Green Lady could fill the role of our missing suel snake goddess. Already a servant of Wee Jas, she could be partially of yuan-ti, reptilian or inhuman origins and now a hero deity. (Alignments would need to be sorted-out: Green Lady cultists, lamias and yuan-ti are all chaotic while Wee Jas is as lawful as they come; of course, that didn't stop Steve Miller.)

*The Vale of the Lamia, the Green Lady's Cairn and Castle Greyhawk are all in the same geographical area.

*The title "Snake Lord" would not be used to refer to a female. This allows the reference in GotF to be matched with a heretofore undeveloped Animal Lord/Beast Lord. After Rexfelis, this wouldn't be the first Animal Lord to show an interest in Greyhawk City and, if a bunch of Green Lady snake cultists stole his talisman, it might be added incentive... Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:37 am  

rasgon wrote:

The yuan-ti have a lot of different names given to their deities. I tried to list them all here: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yuan-ti#Religion Sch'theraqpasstt, Sarthis, Merrshaulk, Tlaloc, Demogorgon, Sertrous.

What an excellent source, thanx for the link Rasgon.
    vestcoat wrote:

*The deities in Monster Mythology, namely Merrshaulk

Its mentioned in an article in Dragon #305 that Merrshaulk is the dwarven name for this deity, that the Yuan-Ti name for Merrshaulk is Mi-Shao-Shur.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:08 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    vestcoat wrote:

I think this was extrapolated from Zeb Cook's snake queen Ranet in Dwellers of the Forbidden City.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:47 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    rasgon wrote:
    vestcoat wrote:

I think this was extrapolated from Zeb Cook's snake queen Ranet in Dwellers of the Forbidden City.

Ranet was an old Suel fire goddess who was murdered by pyremius: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ranet
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: