Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A Poll of sorts...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A Poll of sorts...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:11 am  
    A Poll of sorts...

First a disclaimer : If you are currently playing a WoG module please don't read this as it may contain a few spoilers....

That's if you haven't read the modules already :)

As I try and get things going for my WoG 4th ed campaign I am trying to decide on some things. For me its obvious I need to advance the time line a bit since From the ashes (set 581?) and the gazetteer (591) and Living Greyhawk which wraps up around 598 (?).

Oh and let me add I know the setting is on hiatus and nothings official on when/if we will ever see anything official published any time.... and we are all free to do with the setting as we wish :) .

I am just curious about how to synch things in a future time period say 601 or 610 or whenever. This has got me thinking about the most likely outcomes from the modules set in WoG during FTA and beyond.

The reason I am curious about this is I musta run ToEE half a dozen times way back when and each the prince was rescued yet when I talked with other DM's they complained he was seldom rescued and since the stuff that came out after ToEE never mentioned it again a campaign could diverge wildly depending on the outcome of that module.

The prince rescued and running around would have wide political/social ramifications.

So a poll of sorts. I am curious as to how several modules would have resolved themselves in various campaigns. There were quite a few modules and plot hooks that how ever they resolved themselves would have had campaign changing ramifications.

1) Rary the traitor- its possible Rary went off spell jamming, or was killed or turned everyone around him into scorpions. I had him just wander off and disappear.

Out of curiosity how did other DMs deal with this module and its possible outcomes? Kill off rary or have him move on to points elsewhere?

2)Silver Anniversary Against the Giants the Liberation of Geoff.

I ran this module twice both times the party seemed to enjoy treating the towns as dungeons and just going from town to town hacking and slashing. The successful conclusion of this module leads to the liberation of Geoff..sort of. I have never successfully concluded it.

In my campaign I will have Geoff liberated but not all is peaches and cream. I am curious though as to how others handled the module and what their outcomes were.

Geoff liberated or not? Goroda dead or off elsewhere?

3) Slavers. I rather liked this module but my players didn't. (If you are curious the module worth it just for the maps of towns etc). I think about the time my players hit the pojmar they decided to start new characters and have me start a new campaign (my players don't like high level stuff too much, it becomes save or die or save or wish you were dead).

The likely outcomes of this module are
    a) city of greyhawk taken over by the slavelords and Turrosh Mak
    b) turosh mak dead with the slavelords.
    c)word getting out that turrosh mac is a member of the scarlet brotherhood and everyone in the nearby kingdoms wanting his head.
    d)the humanoids in the pomarj going on a crusade to the mountains and leaving the pomarj behind

I am really curious about how the majority had this module end as it has wide ranging implications for the region.

Expedition to the ruins of greyhawk. I didn't get a chance to run this one as it came out right before the new edition but I have read it and will run it one day. I am curious about the ramifications though.

How did people handle
    a) robilar/bilarro? did it get sorted out?
    b)iggilvs clone. Did it survive/die etc
    c) its possible the whole ruin went off to other plains and disappears from WoG all together. Who likes that idea?

I am just trying to get a feel for the likely outcomes so I can sort of bring things together in my future timeline. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 pm  

jhon, im new to greyhawk myself, but i think you can get more responses by posting this at the "genetal" foruns ;)
    CF Admin

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:55 pm  
    Re: A Poll of sorts...

JohnJohn wrote:
    I am just curious about how to synch things in a future time period say 601 or 610 or whenever. This has got me thinking about the most likely outcomes from the modules set in WoG during FTA and beyond.

Isn't Robin Bailey's NightWatch novel set in the 600s? ISTR it being ~650 CY but I'm really not sure, offhand.

JohnJohn wrote:
    So a poll of sorts. I am curious as to how several modules would have resolved themselves in various campaigns.

This'll be fun---great idea :D

JohnJohn wrote:
    1) Rary the traitor- its possible Rary went off spell jamming, or was killed or turned everyone around him into scorpions. I had him just wander off and disappear.

Out of curiosity how did other DMs deal with this module and its possible outcomes? Kill off rary or have him move on to points elsewhere?

I've run Rary several different ways, but in most he's not a member of the Circle of Eight, and not the pivotal figure he is in canon, therefore the whole Bright Empire thing never really came to be....

JohnJohn wrote:

I ran this module twice both times the party seemed to enjoy treating the towns as dungeons and just going from town to town hacking and slashing. The successful conclusion of this module leads to the liberation of Geoff..sort of. I have never successfully concluded it.

In my campaign I will have Geoff liberated but not all is peaches and cream. I am curious though as to how others handled the module and what their outcomes were.

Haven't run this one.

JohnJohn wrote:
    3) Slavers. [snip]

c)word getting out that turrosh mac is a member of the scarlet brotherhood and everyone in the nearby kingdoms wanting his head.
    d)the humanoids in the pomarj going on a crusade to the mountains and leaving the pomarj behind

I am really curious about how the majority had this module end as it has wide ranging implications for the region.

Another I haven't run, though I have wanted to since it was published, since the A-series has a special place in my heart (A1 was the first module I bought for myself, on my own).

JohnJohn wrote:
    Expedition to the ruins of greyhawk. [snip]

How did people handle

I also haven't run EttRoG yet.

My treatment of Robilar varies, depending on the needs of the game I'm running: I've played with the idea of clones of Robilar running amok on and off, since RJK proposed the idea some time ago (and, it also dovetails nicely with his development of Zayene/Xaene and his use of clones). In general, though, since I've more often ignored Rary, this hasn't been an issue. In game where I haven't ignored Rary, I prefer Robilar to have sided with him for various arcane reasons, sometimes that being clones/Bilarro, sometimes that being a mole for Mordy, sometimes that being Robilar serving Tsuggtmoy, or otherwise working toward his own ends.

JohnJohn wrote:

I'm not too keen on a simulacrum becoming as powerful as it was in EttRoG, so in general I will nix this device and replace it with something else, and whatever that is, that something's probably not going to be tied to Iggwilv.

JohnJohn wrote:
    c) its possible the whole ruin went off to other plains and disappears from WoG all together. Who likes that idea?

Castle GH hasn't been a Vanishing Tower before, so I'm not sure what to make of that yet. Mine'll probably remain firmly grounded on Oerth, but not because I don't like the idea of a Vanishing Tower structure wandering the planes, but because that seems a bit too far out there for my conception of the Castle as an adventuring environment that PCs can return to for generations to come.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:42 pm  

There are probably others with better memories, but I'll take a few stabs at answering these questions from a Living Greyhawk perspective (hopefully others will correct me!):

JohnJohn wrote:
    As I try and get things going for my WoG 4th ed campaign I am trying to decide on some things. For me its obvious I need to advance the time line a bit since From the ashes (set 581?) and the gazetteer (591) and Living Greyhawk which wraps up around 598 (?).

The Living Greyhawk campaign did end at the end of 598. AFAIK, no mods were allowed to be set in the future.

JohnJohn wrote:

I suggest contacting Creighton, formerly of the LG Circle, as he seemed to be the Rary/Bright Sands expert. In fact, Rary was central to one of the Core plot-arcs in Living Greyhawk. I think there's still an article about this plot arc at Wizard's RPGA LG website.[/quote]

JohnJohn wrote:

Geoff ended 598 in Living Greyhawk liberated and allied with the Gran March and maybe the Yeomanry, iirc. As Geoff players were some of the most loyal and vocal of all LG players, it shouldn't be too hard to get one of them, or their former Triad members, to chime in. If you can find their yahoo group, you can read their triad's final summaries of the region's plot arcs.

JohnJohn wrote:

3) Slavers. I rather liked this module but my players didn't. (If you are curious the module worth it just for the maps of towns etc). I think about the time my players hit the pojmar they decided to start new characters and have me start a new campaign (my players don't like high level stuff too much, it becomes save or die or save or wish you were dead).

In LG, Turosh Mak was alive and lead the Pomarj forces in attacks against the southern nations/Gnarley Forest area, iirc. I believe this was mostly a Verbobonc plot line, so one of them could clarify as to whether or not it was the real Turosh and what his scarlet brotherhood connections ended up being.

JohnJohn wrote:
    Expedition to the ruins of greyhawk. I didn't get a chance to run this one as it came out right before the new edition but I have read it and will run it one day. I am curious about the ramifications though.

How did people handle

AFAIK, there are no official LG results for this mod. Also, it's possible that the authors did not consult with the LG Triads while writing it: for instance, Vayne, the Iuzian Boneheart, was in the mod but I believe in LG canon he was captured or surrendered during the retaking of Admunfort (or it could be they did and I am wrong). Iggwilv's clone should probably die at the conclusion of the mod.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I didn't have time to play a lot of Core mods while I was a triad member. I'm hoping other LG players or triads can chime in and help you out.

Good gaming!

Casey
    former LG BK Triad
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:29 am  

I'm planning to use some LG elements in my home campaign - most probably elements from the Sheldomar, particularly Keoland, Sterich, and Geoff. We play most weeks but there are too many classic plots out there for one campaign - and ours has been going since 1990.

My PC wields the Ring of the Sentinel (which is a bit of a pain to convert to 4e since the ring seems a bit underpowered compared to other 4e rings). We've visited Baltron's Beacon twice, Hommlet, the Moathouse, Nulb, and even a trip to Ravenloft to play Feast of Goblyns.

We fought the Slave Lords (original Nine) and one of our pcs married Slippery Ketta who was seeking refuge when Stalman Klimand Markessa were consolidating their power in the wake of the destruction of Suderham (she may be evil but he's a barbarian and he likes his women a bit evil).

We defeated the Falcon, and have completed the first few parts of the Age of Worms, having got through to the final of the Champions' Games, which had to be postponed due to the ulgurstasta visitation.

Currently running a bit of the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, which will be followed up with some plots based on some of the LG mods.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:54 am  

JohnJohn wrote:

The reason I am curious about this is I musta run ToEE half a dozen times way back when and each the prince was rescued yet when I talked with other DM's they complained he was seldom rescued and since the stuff that came out after ToEE never mentioned it again a campaign could diverge wildly depending on the outcome of that module.

The prince rescued and running around would have wide political/social ramifications.

It's been quite a while since I've looked at this module. (Mine got stolen many years ago) But I don't remember ever seeing anything about the prince being in the Temple. Did I miss something? That's easy to believe since as I said, my copy got ripped of a while back.

Anyway, thanks for any help on this.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:18 pm  

<<<<But I don't remember ever seeing anything about the prince being in the Temple. Did I miss something? That's easy to believe since as I said, my copy got ripped of a while back>>>

Yeah there was a prince Thromell or however its spelled trapped in some casket thing. His sword Frumagh or fromag or whatever it was named was around there somewhere to (think it was called the "answerer?").

if I remember right in the return to the Temple of elemental evil he was converted into a vampire or some such but it's been awhile since I looked at that one.

And thanks to all for all the replies its always interesting to find out how things differed from one DM to the next Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:50 am  

I don't use 3e or 4e material, i'ved been around roleplaying too long to care about it. As far as 1e or 2e though;

1. Rary has never been a traitor in my campaigns, maybe use Robilar for the Bright Desert on his own, he has always seemed quite capable by himself.

2. I have only ever used the original material, my opinion would be that Geoff, Sterich, the Yeomanry, etc. would be secure given a successful conclusion.

3. Turrosh Mak has never existed in my campaigns, only the Slavelords. Yeah I think they should take over if the players biffed it.

A great deal of the older material gave far-reaching consequences or rewards based on how it was played out I believe it was intended in order to maintain a balance between good and evil in that way no political faction gains the upper hand.
    GreySage

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:18 am  

JohnJohn wrote:

I didn't much care for the idea (and neither did the authors; that sentence was added by editors after they turned in their manuscript), but one possible explanation ties it in with the parallel world of Uerth. Because Xagig and the rest of the bizarro Company of Seven were imprisoned beneath Castle Greyhawk when they were only mid-level, Xagig never got the chance to build his world's Castle Greyhawk. As a result, there's an imbalance between the two planes, and the magical surge created by the ''Godtrap'' plus the connection with Uerth created by Robilar/Bilarro resulted in the castle being pulled to the Parallel Material Plane. Nature abhores a vacuum, you know. The only way to bring it back (probably there's a magical artifact or lost knowledge inside that the PCs need at some point) would be to travel to Uerth, and trigger the ''Godtrap'' again, once more filling the chambers with at least one mirror universe-duplicate, this time from Oerth (for example, one of the PCs).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: