JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Western Borders of Nehrond
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Western Borders of Nehrond
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 pm  
    Western Borders of Nehrond

So tAB tells us that "At this time (1 CY), the outer borders of the province of Nehrond (as the name was corrupted by the conquering Aerdi) reached the Cairn Hills and Abbor Alz. In 4 CY, an opportunistic infantry captain named Maret Nial (originally from Greyhawk) crossed the Cairn Hills with a large band of ex-soldiers, men who had served with him in the Nyrondal campaign a year earlier."

Fine. The problem is that the LGG tells us that County of Urnst did not become part of the GK until 189 CY with the Duchy following in 193 CY.

Many people will be fine with it being poor continuity editing and decide to go with one or the other, but I like to try and reconcile these things. That being the case, the only explanation I'm coming up with is that after conquering Nehron the GK pressed westward over the lower Nesser and through the Abbor Alz, conquering the hill tribes, and maybe even the Bright Desert tribes. Westward progress was eventually blocked by the Tareg, who the small force the GK committed to the area were unable to overcome, though they did manage to force some acceptance of GK overlordship in the Cairn Hills. This would have brought some conflict with Urnst, though it never got to the level of a shooting war, since trade from the Dwarves and Gnomes into Urnst never dried up, nor were Urnst-owned mines trespassed upon. On his own initiative, Maret Nial gathered his force of mercenaries and worked his way north through the Abbor Alz into the Cairn Hills and eventually westward into the Greyhawk lands. It would have been a profitable trade route from Ferrond, but dangerous due to hillmen bandits, which is why in the next century, the GK started pushing Urnst to join them. Any really glaring unworkable problems with this theory?
    GreySage

Wed May 26, 2010 8:14 am  

Something like this, then?

Sounds good enough to me. Of course, we'd expect to see some old Aerdy-built garrisons throughout the hills and mountains, which monsters and the like would have taken over after the acquisition of Urnst made them less important.
    Master Greytalker

Wed May 26, 2010 1:01 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Sounds good enough to me. Of course, we'd expect to see some old Aerdy-built garrisons throughout the hills and mountains, which monsters and the like would have taken over after the acquisition of Urnst made them less important.

I don't have it handy, but do we know who built Ghazal?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 26, 2010 1:32 pm  

That's perfect. Thanks! We can always count on you to whip up a map. The only change I would make would be keeping the western Abbor Alz unoccupied. That's just my personal preference to say that they couldn't defeat the Tareg and force the Hardby Pass, which is the reason why Nial had to lead his soldiers over the Cairn Hills instead of the Abbor Alz. Karistyne Castle could have been built on the remains of an old Aerdi fort from those days.
    Those lands, while valuable as a trade route from Ferrond could have easily and quickly become a neglected backwater once Greyhawk was secure and relations were established with Hardby opening up a sea route. After that, besides Blackmoor, it could have been one of the worst postings in the GK.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed May 26, 2010 1:42 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    rasgon wrote:

I don't have it handy, but do we know who built Ghazal?

In the adventure, the bridge to the fort is described as being "typical of ancient Suloise building" and LGJ #21 calls it an "ancient Suel fortress", so I would assume the Tareg, although it could have been some other group of Suel who built it and they just took it over later.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: