JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Other Game Systems & Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Other Game Systems & Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:26 pm  
    Other Game Systems & Greyhawk

As GREYHAWK has always been a D&D setting, I was wondering has anybody ever run a Greyhawk setting using a rulesset other then D&D?

With the boom of 3rd edition, many players flooded back into the game. However, many of the older players didn't like the cumbersome rules of 3rd edition. I love 3rd edition in it's heart, but it is kinda of a daunting system to grasp. Even seasoned 3rd edition gamers have to constantly look up rules from game to game.

I've run Greyhawk in all editions of D&D and my most succesful campaigns are/were definatly Basic D&D and my current 3.5 campaign.

I've been looking for other systems over the years to run in, and the only one that may have a chance, CASTLES & CRUSADES. While I don't really know that much about the system, it is apprent;ly a stripped down version of 3.5. Designed to be "basic" yet highly adventure oriented, CASTLES & CRUSADES seems to be looking better and better as a viable alternative to v3.5. C&C was written (at least in part) by Gygax as is my understanding. However, the game is not yet released and no date for it's release is even close to seeing the light of day.

Has anybody else ever used or is planning on using a different system for their Greyhawk campaign?

..........................................Omote
    FPQ

Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:05 pm  

I've been GMing & playing in the Greyhawk setting since it came out, yet for the last 6 years I have been using the Hero System (Fantasy Hero). It is a point based system.

I've played 1st, 2nd and looked at 3.5 edition extensively. 3.5 may seem daunting, but Hero still makes it look somewhat basic regarding complexity. My gamers love the extra detail the system offers. To each his own, tho.

In my experience, Hero's complexity relieves the GM from many issues of "fairness" control after the game is off and running. The rules are tight enough that everyone is in sync (and only limited by GM starting values and their own imagination). This has allowed me to focus on storytelling.

Regardless of sytem, Greyhawk is still the setting I prefer. I love my grandpa! Happy

Zephirum
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:53 pm  

I actually asked this question recently on this forum. That thread is here:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=312&sid=e16fe60e2424adac5eae6691037fc581
    Novice

Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:17 pm  

i have GM in the past and currently playing in greyhawk with the Avalon hill Runequest. seems to work fine except the combat on-line is slow as molasses. Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:00 pm  

I'm wondering how Decipher's Lord of the Rings system wolud play out as a Greyhawk campaign.

The biggest pain i would think is the lack of a cleric class. Some of the abilities have analogs, but turning does not.

Anyone wanna try?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: