JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Mordenkainen Vs. Mothman
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Mordenkainen Vs. Mothman
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:47 am  
    Mordenkainen Vs. Mothman

So, I watched a 2-hour documentary called The Eyes of Mothman. All I really took from it was how Greyhawk could use some kind of cool cryptozoology stuff.

Any ideas?
    Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:24 am  

I've heard alot of tall tales on these boards about Yak-men, but I've never seen em in any Greyhawk! Razz
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:34 am  

An Oerth genius needs to invent a camera so that blurry photos may be taken of them.
    GreySage

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:43 am  

It's difficult to imagine a creature so bizarre that the inhabitants of Oerth wouldn't believe in them, but there are any number of creatures that are rare enough that they might count as "cryptids." We could start with some of the odder denizens of the 1st edition Fiend Folio: adherers (sages assume these are distorted legends of the ancient undead), flumphs, susseri (it's hard to verify the existence of creatures who blend into the foliage), and wolves-in-sheeps-clothing (likewise).

Extraplanar monsters like spell weavers, ethergaunts, keepers, mercanes, and nerra might count as cryptids too, since they can appear and vanish when more "authoritative" observers appear.

A lot of the Living Greyhawk Journal monsters apply, as does anything that arrived on Oerth via the Barrier Peaks spaceship crash.

As for yak-men in Greyhawk, see "Dread Pagoda of the Inscrutable Ones" in Dungeon #147 (part 3 of the "seeds of Sehan" arc), in which the yikaria turn out to be the masterminds of a three-part adventure set around the Yatils. They're definitely rare and isolated enough to be cryptids, though.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:02 am  

Very good stuff, sir.

The series of events that went on near Point Pleasant, WV from November 1966 to 67 were sort of a conjunction of weird events. Between Indrid Cold, Mothman, lights in the sky, UFOs, Men-In-Black, and the collapse of the Silver Bridge, one with their mind on their tabletop cannot fail to scheme.

A cool event for some area of the Flanaess would be where all manner of weirdnesses happen as prelude to some big-screwed-up cosmic shenanigans.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm  

Off topic sort of, but I think it's an amusing story. I was working in one of our small, rural library branches when a typical for that area, farmer-looking patron comes up and asks me what I know about string theory. I say not much but let's find a book on physics. He then proceeds to tell me about how his wife had been receiving visitations in the night by some creature that hovers above their bed and sends her psychic messages, and how a friend of his thinks it may have something to do with time travel and string theory. So I take a detour from the physics books to our paranormal section. He keeps talking as we're walking, giving me more details, including that his wife is going crazy and these visitations have caused her to have a stroke, and I think "This dude is describing the plot of the Mothman Prophecies", and the book is right there on the shelf. So I say "Well your situation sounds alot like something that was described in this book." He looks at it, turns to me and says, "Nah. I hated that movie."
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:05 pm  

Fantastic! Nova did a pretty good documentary on String Theory. Though I think that's all hokum.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:33 pm  
    Mothman?

Do I have to surrender my Geek Card™ if I admit that I haven't any idea who and/or what the Mothman is/was? Let alone the Prophecies, or whatnot. Although, Smillian's story was still hilarious either way.

... alright, I've googled it. I got it now. I'm up to speed.
    <greedily holds on to his Geek Card™> Precious. My pre-e-ecious. Wink
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:39 am  
    Re: Mothman?

Icarus wrote:
    Do I have to surrender my Geek Card™ if I admit that I haven't any idea who and/or what the Mothman is/was? Let alone the Prophecies, or whatnot. Although, Smillian's story was still hilarious either way.

... alright, I've googled it. I got it now. I'm up to speed.
    <greedily holds on to his Geek Card™> Precious. My pre-e-ecious. Wink

I will not call for its surrender, though I will call your qualifications to hold said card into review. If you have Netflix, please watch Eyes of the Mothman or otherwise check out the book, The Mothman Prophecies (not as good, IMO). Avoid the Richard Gere film.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 pm  

No Icarus you must forfeit your geek card. You must repent for waning in your geeky duties. You need 400 Mordenkainens', 200 Canon Hazens, and dare I say 1 Zagyg. Because 1 Zagyg is more than enough.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: