Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Questions Concerning the Human Ethnicities of the Oerth
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Questions Concerning the Human Ethnicities of the Oerth
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 pm  
    Questions Concerning the Human Ethnicities of the Oerth

I've tried searching the forms and articles to see if anyone has posted the information I require, but to no avail. So, I put forth these questions to you esteemed and learned scholars of Greyhawk lore:

Is there any canon reference in regards to the average heights and weights to the various human ethnicities of the Flanaess (and beyond, such as the Touv)? Failing that, what are your opinions on the matter?

Also, aside from the Touv, have there ever been any canon reference to any other human ethnicities and/or the locations, names and languages of said ethnicities?

Any elucidation on these matters would be greatly appreciated by this novice of Oerthian linguistics and ethno-anthropology. Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:51 pm  

The best summary of the Greyhawk human (and non-human) ethnicities is in the LG Gazeteer (pages 5-12). This gives average height and a summary of appearance, culture etc.

Beyond that, if you can get hold of the 2E Player's Guide it goes so far as to give racial ability adjustments for the human sub-races and some interesting background tables for each ethnicity.

Would have thought that these two products would give what you need.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 am  

I know The Scarlet Brotherhood goes into the height & weight of the Touv, but I'm not aware of any source that does the same with regard to the Bakluni, Flannae, Oerid, or Suloise.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:27 pm  

Flint wrote:
    The best summary of the Greyhawk human (and non-human) ethnicities is in the LG Gazeteer (pages 5-12). This gives average height and a summary of appearance, culture etc.

Beyond that, if you can get hold of the 2E Player's Guide it goes so far as to give racial ability adjustments for the human sub-races and some interesting background tables for each ethnicity.

Would have thought that these two products would give what you need.

Alas! The LG Gazetteer was the first place I looked. Amusingly, of the human ethnic groups, only the Rhennee have their average height listed (5' 6"). The 2E Player's Guide I had forgot to look at, but it, too, only gives the average height for the Rhennee as well (!). Still, I appreciate your help.

DMPrata wrote:
    I know The Scarlet Brotherhood goes into the height & weight of the Touv, but I'm not aware of any source that does the same with regard to the Bakluni, Flannae, Oerid, or Suloise.

Ah, thanks! SB does say that the Touv are shorter than the humans of the Flanaess with the tallest being around 5' 10'--I has initially missed that when scanning through the SB.

I'll keep searching as I swore I thought I saw something in regards to this either in an issue of Dragon, some LGH material or older source (or it's entirely possible that it could just be my fevered imagination conflating unrelated materials). Regardless, should my search prove fruitless, this could turn into an excellent opportunity for an Oerth Journal article or something.

This all came about because I never liked how 2nd (and later) editions shortened the lifespans of many of the demihumans so I decided to "correct" this as part of my houserules. While I was at it, I decided to compile tables not only for revised age categories that were more in line with those in the original DMG, but also for heights and weights for each of the different player races (and a few that I consider nonplayer races like drow and duergar). This was fairly easygoing until I turned my attention to the humans... I'm sure I could have just had one entry for all humans, but that seems a little boring to me in light of the other races. Laughing
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 pm  

Finding a lack of written referance, I would consider using the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer picture of the different races and assume average height for those provided on page 7. Comparing the height size of the images should give one a reasonable idea of their height difference, including gender differance to a degree.

The Rhennee woman (average 5'6 for men and shorter for women; perhaps 5'2 - 5'4) as indicated in the text .

Looking at the picture, from right to left (backwards) and using the above Rhenee information and picture as a guidline, this would put the Suloise at about the same height as Rhennee; perhaps a bit shorter, I think its difficult to tell if the Suloise is a man or woman. If you believe its a man, than he is the same height as the Rhennee woman, probably 5'4, if you think the picture shows a woman, then again male height would be about the same as a Rhennee male as well 5'6.

The Olman is considerably shorter (pic looks like a man) and he looks about 5'4, suggesting that the women are likely to be closer to 5'2 -5'0.

The Oeridean man is depicted as taller and when comparing him to the Rhennee woman, I'd suggest he stands about 5'7. Again, assume the women are an average of 2-4 inches shorter .

The Flan gentleman looks slightly taller than the Olman an so I would offer a height of 5'5 or 5'6. Again, reduce height approriately for women.

Finally, looking at the picture of the Baklunish, he appears to be about the same as the Oeridian, maybe 1-2 inches higher depending upon your view of taking into account the hair style. I'd place him at 5'9 or 5'10; reducing women once again by a 2-4 inch margin.

Just my thoughts!

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:36 am  

Thank you, Eileen. That's definitely some food for thought! :)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:24 pm  

Azzy1974,

You might soon receive your wishes on human subrace articles or races of greyhawk overall.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 15, 2011 5:01 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Azzy1974,

You might soon receive your wishes on human subrace articles or races of greyhawk overall.

Sounds cool! Can't wait to see the fruits of your labors. :)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon May 16, 2011 7:25 pm  

Its not my effort alone the artwork has been produced already. A few of us are putting it together and hope to have it up and running shortly. Like most things on this site it's a group effort. We all play our parts. Hope you enjoy.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: