ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Potion & Scroll Ingredients
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Potion & Scroll Ingredients
    GreySage

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 am  
    Potion & Scroll Ingredients

Greetings Friends,

I'm back with another question (actually, a few).

I am sure, somewhere, that someone has already posed these questions, but seeking the forums has revealed nothing thus far. Therefore, I turn to you all, from all gaming editions:

1) Does anyone have suggested ingredients to manufacture the various potions listed in either the DMG (or Unearthed Arcana)? Yes, I know the original 2e version of the DMG (and the more recent Book of Artifacts) offers suggestions, but I am interested in a more comprehensive list of potential ingredients.

2) Does anyone have a suggested list of ingredients to manufacture Scrolls of Protection, as well?

3) For those who are especially industrious, is there a list someone is willing to share about penning/creating a spell scroll (such as lightning bolt)? It is my understanding these require special ingredients, too.

Thank you for your assistance,

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:46 pm  
    Re: Potion & Scroll Ingredients

Lanthorn wrote:
    3) For those who are especially industrious, is there a list someone is willing to share about penning/creating a spell scroll (such as lightning bolt)? It is my understanding these require special ingredients, too.

I'm sorry I don't have the time to research these questions for you, but off the top of my head, I remember that scrolls require expensive and magically-treated parchment, ink that is mixed from the essences of various magical creatures, and the spell itself, with all of its attendant components, must be 'cast' from the mind of the wizard penning the scroll.

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:02 am  

Dragon Magazine has featured a number of articles over the years on ingredients for making potions, various scroll/spell inks, and for magical item manufacture.

See issue #130, "Better Living Through Alchemy" for some potion info.

See issue #83 for, "The Many Facets of Gems" for some properties of gems(they can be powdered and put into inks of course).

There are more, but that would be a good start. I also want to say that there was a supplemental book on the creation of all types of magic items, with recommended ingredients, but I can't recall what it is called.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:11 am  

Appendix J of the 1 DMG has info on the uses of herbs and other plants.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:29 am  

There was back in the dim past several articles in White Dwarf as well detailing Potions. (if I can find them I'll let you know)
    GreySage

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    I also want to say that there was a supplemental book on the creation of all types of magic items, with recommended ingredients, but I can't recall what it is called.

The Compleat Alchemist?

I have a version published by Wizards of the Coast in the early 1990s, before they bought the rights to D&D or hit it big with Magic: The Gathering.
    GreySage

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:21 pm  

You guys are great! Happy

Cebrion, I will look through my stash of Dragon Mags to see if I have either of those...doubt it, but will look!

Smillan, I recall seeing that list. Will peruse it again, but don't recall it specifying use for magical ingredients. Thanks for the refresher.

Rockhaven, let me know what you find out. Much obliged.

Rasgon, thanks for the hyperlink.

Does anyone know of a previous posting on Canonfire where someone may have given his/her opinions or suggestions for potion and scroll ingredients? If not, perhaps I should create one, time permitting, and offer it to the commonwealth for review...

thank you all again!

-Lanthorn
    Master Greytalker

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 pm  
    That one ... with the thing ... where it said that stuff.

Well ... I'm struggling to recall precisely, but, I remember one of my favorite descriptions of magical scrolls was in a Dragonlance novel ... the one where Raistlin is just a boy, and he's being sent to school, and they test him to see if he can be a mage ot not.... frak. What's the name of it?
    <pause for googling>
    Ah, yes, Soulforge in it comes time for Raistlin's first test of magic. After writing the words "I, Magus" upon the lamb’s skin, and a desperate prayer to the gods of magic (he was also visited by the three gods of magic who made him swear to worship them), the words lit up with such ferocity that the skin was utterly consumed. I can't really recall at the moment whether the ingredients are mentioned for the special ink that was needed to do this, but ... I couldn't help but think that would be a neat reference if that chapter contains little tidbits.
    Of course, I don't have a copy of the book anymore, so sadly, I cannot check. But, it would be a fun bit of reading for a few minutes if anyone has it and wanted to look for the passages in question.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:32 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Cebrion wrote:
    I also want to say that there was a supplemental book on the creation of all types of magic items, with recommended ingredients, but I can't recall what it is called.

The Compleat Alchemist?

I have a version published by Wizards of the Coast in the early 1990s, before they bought the rights to D&D or hit it big with Magic: The Gathering.

O...M...G! Laughing That is not quite what I meant(I was thinking of a much newer book), but I know exactly what booklet that is! I haven't seen a book from that series in quite some time, though I do have at least one of them buried...somewhere. My, does that bring back some memories! Cool

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28 pm  

The 2nd edition Book of Artifacts has a little bit on magic item creation towards the back of the book. It has a partial list of ingredients for potions and scrolls.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:57 pm  
    Potion ingredients

Well ... these articles are listed in the in Zavoda's Dragondex, they seem to be somewhat pertinent:

Components, spell:
      Acquiring "Living In a Material World" Michael Dobson 81(58) D&D1
      Power "Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog: Using Power Components" Bishop & Schneider 317(44) D&D3
      Substitute "Variety, the Spice of Magic", Vince Garcia, 147(22) D&D1
    The numbers listed are the issue and page numbers for Dragon Magazine articles.

They discuss how to acquire components, Substituting components, ans "power" components to make them more powerful. All can be used for inspiration, I am certain for things to include as components for magical processes. It would take very little, I think, to adapt the material to make use of the varying components mentioned.

The first one has a massive table of things that can be used for spellcasting, and certainly could be adapted for scroll-making. And it lists a frequency for how easy they are to find, or if they can be found for free in the wild, or must be purchased, and for how much.

The second is a fairly decent article on using components to replace XP costs for spells and magic item creation. Essentially, there are several charts, and they are based on what you're trying to do with the power component. Essentially, you pay tons of gold for the component in question, or hunt down a creature or what have you, and gather it yourself.

Sadly, there is something wrong with my PDF of #147, so I haven't any idea what that one's about, really. (Great ... now my collection is flawed. Now I have to fix it, or find a new one! At least I found out.)

Also, in the 3rd Edition Unearthed Arcana there is a *massive* list that is generally components that would theoretically make a spell more powerful when cast, but, it would be a piece of cake to say that scrolls or potions require components that are slightly more than mundane. It's actually for what are referred to in 3rd ed. terms as a spell affected by a "Metamagic feat", if you don't play that edition. The components take the place of the feats ... for example, you say you want your Ghost sound illusions to be more difficult to save against? Don't use wax! Use wax from a specially scented candle that costs 275gp! Want to make your Detect Thoughts spell (ESP in older editions) to be better? Don't use a copper piece! (Penny for your thoughts?) ... use a Platinum piece! You want your Dispel Magic to last twice as long? Use a cold iron statuette!

Obviously, these are generally more expensive and difficult to obtain, but, theoretically, they could be used to simply offset the cost of making the scroll or the potion to begin with. Maybe that's why they are so expensive make ... because they cost so much. the alternate components would likely offset a great deal of the cost of making the scroll or potion. ... perhaps several.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>

Last edited by Icarus on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:40 pm  
    Re: Potion ingredients

Icarus wrote:
    "Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog..."

Ah, ha! There you have the classic potion ingredients. Just pick up a copy of Macbeth and read up on the Norns. Wink

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: