JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Maure Family
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Maure Family
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:36 pm  
    The Maure Family

After reading the Maure module, and the adventures in the Dungeon Magazine and Oerth journal, i found the Maure Castle and its backstory very interesting, but i still have a doubt.

The Maure is the result of Slerotin apprentices joining to forma new family and get the secrets of Power magic, that i get it. Then, along the adventures, you get tidbits that the family, in one moment, have some conflicts (not sure if internal or external attacks), and that apparently some of them left Greyhawk for other planes, leaving the Castle half-abandoned.

My question is: Is the Maure Family still on Greyhawk? Is there any descendant of them (be from the main branch or a minor one) living in the world?

I thought on creating a character descending from the Maure, but i never found any material on the "family" present situation.
    GreySage

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:39 pm  

Good question, Mekorig. The Maure family history and their influence on the Flanaess is very interesting to me. Though I can't answer your question, I do look forward to anything others can provide in that regard.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:07 am  

Great question. I have often wondered if descendants of the Maure might still be out there, somewhere (not on Oerth, but other planes), and the questions that would follow.

Are they really Maure, in the sense that they even know some of their family history and from whom they are descended?
    Are there scattered descendants, or an extra-planar faction of some sort, sticking together (loosely or otherwise) for the benefits of mutual strength?
    Where did they go and why? Did one or more of them succeed in whatever plot(s) took them to the planes? Did they find the power they were seeking?
    Do they have contact with anyone still on Oerth? For example, someone associated with the Horned Society? Or the Northern Kingdom? Are they aware and up to date with developments in the Flanaess?
    Do they have any desire to return to Oerth, and if so, what would that look like: would they come back in secret, or with such boldness that Iuz himself would be jealous?
    Are they even able to come back? Is something or someone preventing them from returning to Oerth?
    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a wide-spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible. - Bertrand Russell
    GreySage

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:27 pm  

Oerth Journal #23 indicates that there are exactly ten members of the original Maure family still alive, though it's not clear where they are (Malcanthet might know). I don't see any reason they couldn't have illegitimate and legitimate descendants on Oerth, though, including some in the dungeons. There are many people named "Maure" still around in the Duchy of Urnst, but most of them are not true relations.
    CF Admin

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:21 pm  

It sounds like Maure-spoor are prime candidates for interesting family tree trellises of cambions, alu-demons and tieflings.

A recent Pathfinder book, Blood of Fiends, http://paizo.com/products/btpy8qzz, featured qlippothic tieflings ...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: