JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Olympics
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Olympics
    Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 pm  
    Greyhawk Olympics

This topic has been suggested before on the forums. In light of the recent summer games, here is my version of the Greyhawk games....

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2012/08/greyhawk-olympics.html
    GreySage

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 pm  

Nice, Mort. Happy

We've had martial competitions in my campaigns before, but no Flanaess-wide sporting events.

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 am  

Of course Ull gets the gold in weightlifting; they're all half-ogres. And they're all juiced up on devil worship!

EDIT: "Kids, you may think you can get ahead in life by sacrificing to a minor devil. You say to yourself, 'I'll just do it this one time, just to win the spelling bee.' Well, let me tell you, do that and next thing you know you've sold your soul to Asmodeus and you're on a one-way trip to Nessus. Just say 'NO' to diabolism."

Last edited by smillan_31 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:40 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Of course Ull gets the gold in weightlifting; they're all half-ogres. And they're all juiced up on devil worship!

Wink
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 am  

mortellan wrote:
    This topic has been suggested before on the forums...

-Suggested where?

This is one of those things where, now that you mention it, I'm surprised no one else ever brought up.

mortellan wrote:
    http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2012/08/greyhawk-olympics.html

Hmmm...

You'd have to have diferent types of equestrian event.

The Great Kingdom, the Wild Coast, the Bandit Kingdoms probably wouldn't have united teams. I doubt that the Paynims (Dry Steppes) would either.

I'd think that the Yeomanry would place well in archery.

I'm not sure why the Paynims, Blackmoor or the Wolf (or Tiger) Nomads would do in the marathon. That's more of a high altidue thing. The Paynims might fit, but not Blackmoor. I figure Perrenland, Tehn (their pre-Greyhawk national message system used runners like the Inka), Stonefist and the Rovers (both groups have light infantry who run alongside their cavalry). Perhaps Geoff, Sterich, the Pale, Tusmit, Ull?

Let's be honest. The Scarlet Brotherhood and Iuz would get half the medals because the Scarlet Brotherhood would have citizens dedicated to nothing but, and because Iuz would simply cheat. Razz
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:27 am  

I did a post some 2 years ago during the 2010 winter games.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 am  

baronzemo wrote:
    I did a post some 2 years ago during the 2010 winter games.

..here:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4053&highlight=olympics

...I see others else had the same idea wrt the Scarlet Brotherhood:

JohnD wrote:
    ...Beyond that, I have to think the Scarlett Brotherhood would bring home most of the medals.

...and (probably) Iuz:

TwiceBorn wrote:
    Heh... instead of performance enhancing drugs, the authorities may need to police illegal performance enhancing magic. I can imagine there would be fairly strict rules with regards to the type of magic permissible in different events.

mortellan wrote:
    ... I'd say an Olympics could peaceably be done through much of the middle of the Flanaess. I could see it as a remnant of some Great Kingdom Games started by the Overking in Aerdy's heyday....

-Reasonable.

mortellan wrote:
    ... Present political conditions, you could start with a medieval 'tourney'. My memory on what events took place is sketchy but I'm talking Jousts primarily....

-Ah! Of course. Probably a summer event.

I didn't think of it, but in game terms, barbarians and monks get a huge advantage in running, so give all the running event to either the Scarlet Brotherhood, Cold Barbarians, or any place with orcs, particualrly the Empire of Iuz . I think the Pomarj might send a unified team (post Greyhawk wars), but the Bone March would be split between the Vile Rune and the Death Moon tribes.

mortellan wrote:
    ... Dramawise you could still have violent but respectful rivalries. Hextorians vs Heironeous springs to mind. Kordians vs everyone...

-Perhaps churches would have teams, as well as countries, plus maybe some inter-Flanaess organizations, like the Ordfer of the Watch and the Order of the Hart (at least for jousting).

Jeminnab wrote:
    How did someone not mention curling yet?

Curling. With orc heads. I'd play that.

-Kobold toss! Razz
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:17 pm  

Zombie racing in Rauxes. Don't worry about getting a Medal just don't be the last one out. Evil Grin

Later

Argon
    Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 pm  

Hilarious Argon.

james: Yeah I know what you mean about those cheatin' Iuzians and Scarlet Monks. The Flanaess Games would be like a good old Cold War Olympics in that sense.

Concerning regional advatage, when I started that post I started jotting down obvious areas of superiority (i.e. elven archery). As time wore down it got late and I started making snap judgments, like long distance running in Blackmoor. Obviously they're more suited for winter games, but my heart wanted to spread the love around, so yeah...I welcome any rational tweaks to my list.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:46 am  

Remember that movie they made about the Lordship of the Isles bob-sled team? Man, I love that movie.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:31 pm  

Who would play Skittles (a version of bowling) or Stoolball (a version of Cricket)?

Later

Argon
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 am  

Argon wrote:
    Who would play Skittles (a version of bowling) or Stoolball (a version of Cricket)?

-Bowling sounds like something halflings would do, unless the ball was a skull or something. Laughing

One perspective of halflings (the traditional JRR Tolkein one) is as a sort of Edwardian-era Englishmen. You sort of see this in Jurnre in Fate of Istus. So, halflings in County Ulek?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:04 pm  

So halfling's play stoolball and skittles? I can live with that james. Junre halfling's need to avoid becoming the pins or the ball. Surprised

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: