#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Usefulness
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Usefulness
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 am  

This is a very clever system which, as you note, could apply to contacts for any character.

Suspect it could be modified relatively easily into a loyalty system for henchmen, followers or hirelings eg. putting NPC in danger or asking them to do something outside their comfort zone reduces loyalty and makes it less likely they will agree to such requests in future. When loyalty reaches 0 the NPC moves on. Good treatment, bonuses added to wages etc. could be used to increase loyalty.

A simple system with lots of potential. Think I might have to steal this.

Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:13 pm  

Overall I like this idea. I might made it a d20 roll, since that fits in with 2nd edition rules regarding Charisma modifiers.

Flint suggested using it for henchmen and hirelings as well. I'd suggest going the other route, using the henchman modifiers for the contact. To stick with the gate guard example, if your character is asking the guard to "forget" to lock the gate at a time that, as it turns out, the general will be on the grounds, and is known for conducting surprise inspections at odd hours, this would certainly affect the guard's willingness to do his buddy a solid. Especially if being found responsible for such dereliction of duty might be an executable offense.
    Though, in such a situation, the guard might explain why he can't do it, and in doing so, tip him off that now is not the best time for him (and/or any associates) to be conducting any unsavory activities. the character may be able to use that then. While maybe him and his associates will not be able to "work" for a while, knowing that will surely help keep them from finding themselves in the old "stripey hole"
    So, maybe it wasn't the help he had asked for, but potentially helpful nonetheless.

Another modifier I might consider for this Usefulness score is bribery. Not just the typical image of a bribe, but after the fact as well. Sticking with the example, the guard leaves the gate unlocked so the character can slip out. After a successful excursion, the character tracks his guard buddy down a few days later and presents him with a gift. "Thanks for that thing last week. Why don't you take this bottle of brandy, and oh yeah, you think maybe your wife could use a few yards of cloth?"(Bribes need not necessarily be in cool hard cash all the time)

I like this idea. I think I'll need to work with it.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 pm  

I also think this is a good system, especially since it is so simple.

Adding to BlueWitch's suggestion, perhaps the offer of a thank you gift could offset the 'cost' of using the contact that time. In effect, paying for the help prevents the 'uses' from decreasing by one.

SirXaris
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 pm  

I only skimmed it, but it seems like a really good idea - functional, logical, and simple. I might write it up for my own use sometime to hammer out the details.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:39 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    I also think this is a good system, especially since it is so simple.

Adding to BlueWitch's suggestion, perhaps the offer of a thank you gift could offset the 'cost' of using the contact that time. In effect, paying for the help prevents the 'uses' from decreasing by one.

SirXaris

Thank you gift! Yes, a nicer and much more efficient way to put it, rather than my "bribe after the fact".

And, that does kind of connect to the earlier mention about henchmen. I seem to recall they have a loyalty modifier for if their employer is generous/gives gifts.

Yes. Now as I see it, the Usefulness score would drop for calling on the contact for some help, but when the character is able to get this gift to the contact, the drop could be partially or totally (if a good enough gift) offset. That bottle of brandy may offset the drop in Usefulness a bit, but if you get him a bottle of that brandy from the Dancing Ogre distillery in Dyvers, the kind he REALLY likes, the modifier might be even better, offsetting the drop completely or maybe even resulting in a positive modifier for the next time. (DM's call)
    Sometimes, things have a value other than the cash value listed. That can work the other way too. Sticking with the brandy, if this particular contact doesn't really care for brandy, or if it's not very good brandy, the modifier might be lessened, but should probably still be a positive ("Well, at least you thought about me")
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: