JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Clerics crysis of faith
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Clerics crysis of faith
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:03 pm  
    Clerics crysis of faith

Hi once more! My new player is making character and want's it to be special. Partially from the setting he needed to be the Pelor priest. But he come to choose the True Neutral Alignment and wants PC to be in "faith crisis". How questioning his dedication to Pelor should affect his character? What are ramifications?
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 pm  

I don't think that True Neutral is at all an option for a Pelorian cleric. ANY good alingment will due, but Pelor is NOT a God of True Neutrality! He is a benevolent, healing and protecting Power given to help and minister to the sick, weak, infirm, young, impoverished, and the like. If your player insists on playing a True Neutral PC, steer him to choose Obad-hai or Beory of the druidic faiths. Fharlanghn would be another option.

-Lanthorn
    Paladin

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:44 pm  

First thought is (depending apon version) cleric's spells would have to be effected at upper levels (usually past 3rd) since these are bestode by Pelor, and or his "minions" on his behalf to the faithful. Of course, this would be depending the amount of deviation and transgression you set into play.
    I would first wonder why the player would choose to be neutral, yet attempt a Pelor Faith? From a story line I can see the conflict of a "former Pelorian priest" frustrated and disenchanted with the war and Pelors' "support" or percieved lack of?
    From a game mechanic, the loss of upperlevel spell support might deter a newer player? All in all an interesting angle or two... but certainly a challenge for a new player and DM.
    It is by will alone I set my die in motion.....It is by gaming that thoughts acquire speed.....The hands acquire shaking..... The shaking becomes a warning......It is by will alone I set my die in motion....
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 pm  

I agree with Lanthorn that Pelor wouldn't tolerate True Neutral alignment from any of his Clerics.

I also agree with DLG that if one of Pelor's Clerics shifted to a True Neutral alignment (began committing as many evil acts as good acts), that Cleric would fall from grace and no longer receive spells. As the alignment shifted closer to True Neutral (from Good), the loss of spells would progress from the highest level to the lowest level. In other words, the first time the PC did something evil, he would lose all his highest level spells and not regain any until he had properly atoned. As the evil acts progressed, the PC would lose all the spells of next highest level and so on until he received no spells at all each day. Sooner or later, the Cleric will have to atone and return to a good alignment, or Pelor will abandon him completely and he will never be a Pelorian Cleric again. Then, you have to deal with the issue (rules) of having a PC Cleric switch gods.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm  

Canon sources state that Pelor's clerics: "Heal the sick, bless crops, help the needy, and destroy evil and the undead. They are caring and nurturing, with backbones of steel."

These sources also state: "Pelor opposes all evil deities and his followers avoid neutral deities with teachings counter to Pelor's."

So I think that Pelor's clerics would not have a truly Neutral alignment.

But, Pelor is Neutral Good in alignment. Wink

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:15 am  

On this instance I have to take a different stance.

Firstly - I think it depends on what system you are using. In 2nd edition I don't think Pelor generally accepts non-good priests but in 3rd/3.5 I think you just need to be within one alignment step (it's been a while since I played 3.5 so I may have that wrong).

However either way;

Pelor is part of the Old Faith pantheon and in most instances druids tend to be True Neutral. To me that shows that there is some room for a TN cleric of Pelor.

I have always liked the fact that different groups or cults might worship a god in different ways - just take a look at the the real world!

Perhaps your priest is more focused on Pelor's sun aspect? The sun can help cause life to grow but it can also burn and wither it, a slghtly more TN philosophy. Perhaps this is how Pelor was first worshipped by one group of the ancient Flan, his aspects of healing and goodness developing later?

Despite this, your cleric would not be embodying ALL of what Pelor stands for today so you could argue that without a holistic approach to the worship of Pelor you cleric could never attain the highest level spells.

In 1st and 2nd edition I htink that 1st and 2nd level spells were gained purely through the training and discipline of the cleric. Spells up to about 5th or 6th were granted via a powerful agent of the deity and anything above by the god themself. Perhaps Pelor will not himself grant spells to your priest until his mortal servant learns to embrace all of Pelor's teachings.

Also I think whilst Pelor might still allow a TN cleric he would never condone an act of evil. You may find your cleric slowly veering towards the path of good through a natural process or he may fall from grace completely!
    Paladin

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 am  

Wolfling wrote:
    You may find your cleric slowly veering towards the path of good through a natural process or he may fall from grace completely!

This was my thoughts as well... either way... a difficult, but interesting challenge....though a new player might struggle with the added complications a "new PC" like this would bring.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:18 am  

I know this is exception, and I know in 3(.5) edition there were "one step away" rule. But also it's still interesting idea to play, in my mind.

Wolfling wrote:
    Pelor is part of the Old Faith pantheon and in most instances druids tend to be True Neutral. To me that shows that there is some room for a TN cleric of Pelor.

I have always liked the fact that different groups or cults might worship a god in different ways - just take a look at the the real world!

Perhaps your priest is more focused on Pelor's sun aspect? The sun can help cause life to grow but it can also burn and wither it, a slghtly more TN philosophy. Perhaps this is how Pelor was first worshipped by one group of the ancient Flan, his aspects of healing and goodness developing later?

Despite this, your cleric would not be embodying ALL of what Pelor stands for today so you could argue that without a holistic approach to the worship of Pelor you cleric could never attain the highest level spells.

In 1st and 2nd edition I htink that 1st and 2nd level spells were gained purely through the training and discipline of the cleric. Spells up to about 5th or 6th were granted via a powerful agent of the deity and anything above by the god themself. Perhaps Pelor will not himself grant spells to your priest until his mortal servant learns to embrace all of Pelor's teachings.

Also I think whilst Pelor might still allow a TN cleric he would never condone an act of evil. You may find your cleric slowly veering towards the path of good through a natural process or he may fall from grace completely!

This is what I thought on topic. It is exceptional situation - it's called crisis of faith not without a reason - but also I think about druidic sun aspect of Pelor. Player was limited partially by setting because the party starts in village with Pelor temple - nothing ruly determining, but easiest to solve by Pelor cleric. Also, player is experienced roleplayer, only he is new to our game and D&D at large. But this faith crisis was his idea, non theles.. Cool

As mechanics - we start at 1st levels, but I see that he need to devote himself completely when get 3rd level clerical spells. Or he will need to become druid. ( Side note: maybe then there willl be Druid class for D&D Next Playtest then Neutral )
    GreySage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:19 pm  

Wolfling wrote:
    I think it depends on what system you are using. In 2nd edition I don't think Pelor generally accepts non-good priests but in 3rd/3.5 I think you just need to be within one alignment step . . .

That's why I mentioned that Pelor is "Neutral Good." "True Neutral" is within the one step requirement. Wink

Wolfling wrote:
    Pelor is part of the Old Faith pantheon and in most instances druids tend to be True Neutral. To me that shows that there is some room for a TN cleric of Pelor. . . .

True enough and he does receive worship throughout the Flanaess, but Pelor is specifically a Flan god. So we shouldn't make him too "generic." And although Pelor is honored and worshiped by Druids, Druids do not represent him. Pelor's Clerics do that. Druids are men/women of the Forest. Clerics are men/women "of God."

Slight difference there.

And yes, you are more than welcome to play it differently. Cool

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:15 pm  

True neutral is the one exception to the one step rule. If you go by the rules as stated, a true neutral cleric must serve a true neutral god. And given my experience with 3e it's a miracle that I actually remembered that little bit of data.

That said, I'm with Mystic-Scholar and most everyone else. Screw the rules, especially "soft" rules like those. If it works for your game, play it the way you want to. Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:27 pm  

I'm also in dilemma what to do if player will would want to go druid road? Maybe let him exchange the cleric class levels for druid ones? They are enough similar to let it, and turning undead isn't the same as shapeshift abilities. Not too mention that PC would be dual divine spellcaster, that is a bit redundant...

Last edited by wyrdhamster on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    True neutral is the one exception to the one step rule. If you go by the rules as stated, a true neutral cleric must serve a true neutral god. And given my experience with 3e it's a miracle that I actually remembered that little bit of data.

Where is it? I'm only curious now, but I don't remember whole "True Neutral gods are exception" sub rule. Wink I looked in my Deities and Demigods and Pelor have only LG. NG and CG priests. I will house rule it, but I'm interested where is "True Neutrality isn't option for not TN gods followers"...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 am  

wyrdhamster wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:

Where is it? I'm only curious now, but I don't remember whole "True Neutral gods are exception" sub rule. Wink I looked in my Deities and Demigods and Pelor have only LG. NG and CG priests. I will house rule it, but I'm interested where is "True Neutrality isn't option for not TN gods followers"...

It's in the 3e Player's Handbook in the cleric section. I'm assuming they didn't change it for 3.5 (Don't have the 3.5 Player's handbook) because it's also listed in the LG Deities document, "A cleric/favored soul may not be neutral unless it's deity's alignment it also neutral." Not sure why they made it that way. With the step rule they opened up alignment restrictions. Maybe they felt letting clerics be neutral and serve any neutral+other alignment deity opened things up too much and might somehow lead to abuse.

In 1e clerics originally could be any alignment but true neutral (Druids were true neutral) until this restriction was lifted in the Unearthed Arcana. Even then though, druids had to remain true neutral.

Edit: There's an interesting thread at Dragonsfoot about this - http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11277&p=184610
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 pm  

wyrdhamster,

Its your game rule it how you see fit. I think your fine with a neutral priest struggling with the edicts of his church. It is said those with the most faith should have the most questions. Perhaps he believes the church is wrong and sees or views Pelor in a more neutral tone. Evil may be those who would ruin crops, or deny the sun rays to the local fauna and flora.

Does this contradict what is canon for most sources on Pelor? Yes it does. However, this is your campaign and the player has an interesting concept. I for one would allow it and see where it takes us. It could end with his expulsion from the clergy, or with him becoming the leader of a new sect of Pelorian priests. Perhaps he has an epiphany and his faith is stregthened.

Its why they call it roleplaying.

Enjoy it for what it is.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: