Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Where should I set a campaign?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Where should I set a campaign?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:07 pm  
    Where should I set a campaign?

Okay, hopefully as more than just an exercise, where should I set my next GH campaign?

The 3 places I'm considering--

A) Saltmarsh, because 1) I could pick up some of what I had planned for where my Sterich campaign was going 2) Easy segue into some mutation of Isle of Dread and Tamoachan, and so I can finally use all those $.50 gorillas and crocodiles I bought 3) Could do some pirate stuff

B) Ratik, because 1) It's pretty close to where I actually live, terrain and weather-wise 2) Barbarians! 3) Good jumping off point to Fireland and Telchurian locations for adventure 4) Also good for pirate-type action 5) Easily able to fit in Keep on the Borderland

C) City of Greyhawk 1) Good central location 2) Cairn Hills; lots of tombs to loot 3) Proximity to Bright Desert and Wild Coast 4) Urban adventure and intrigue

Anyone have anything to add to my list, or why one would be better than the other? Have any other suggested locations?

Have at it folks!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:03 pm  
    Re: Where should I set a campaign?

smillan_31 wrote:
    Okay, hopefully as more than just an exercise, where should I set my next GH campaign?

The 3 places I'm considering--

A) Saltmarsh, because 1) I could pick up some of what I had planned for where my Sterich campaign was going 2) Easy segue into some mutation of Isle of Dread and Tamoachan, and so I can finally use all those $.50 gorillas and crocodiles I bought 3) Could do some pirate stuff

B) Ratik, because 1) It's pretty close to where I actually live, terrain and weather-wise 2) Barbarians! 3) Good jumping off point to Fireland and Telchurian locations for adventure 4) Also good for pirate-type action 5) Easily able to fit in Keep on the Borderland

C) City of Greyhawk 1) Good central location 2) Cairn Hills; lots of tombs to loot 3) Proximity to Bright Desert and Wild Coast 4) Urban adventure and intrigue

Anyone have anything to add to my list, or why one would be better than the other? Have any other suggested locations?

Have at it folks!

-What year?
    GreySage

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:46 pm  

Also, how many characters? What levels? And, finally, what classes?

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:00 pm  

Jeez, people! Smile Okay, 576 CY. 3-4 players. Don't know what classes yet. 1st level starting.
    GreySage

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:54 pm  

Sheesh! As if any of that matters! rolleyes Razz Laughing

Ratik is the best of those choices and the one I'd choose, for all the reasons you've given. And remember: They were called "Vikings" because they left their homes to go "a viking" . . . raiding. Wink

The Keep on the Borderlands could be used to protect the pass from/to Bone March. Lots of good potential with Ratik. It gets my vote! Happy Cool

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:13 pm  

As an alternate to Keep, I also think that B10-Night's Dark Terror would fit well in the Loftwood.
    GreySage

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:16 pm  

Personally, I favor Saltmarsh for sentimental reasons. However, without more knowledge about your players and their character classes, I have to await more information for a logical choice.

Maybe you should query your players! They may have ideas as to the type and flavor of the adventure they'd prefer. In this way, a democratic approach will garner greater player input and enthusiasm for your campaign. Just a thought.

Hey, what do you expect from a guy whose Avatar is the Rune of Pursuit, anyhow?! Happy Individuality, Freedom, the American Way. Wink

-Lanthorn

Note: I think a party of 3-4 players is the optimum! Word of advice. You should run 1-3 NPCs to bolster party numbers, or allow your players (especially those who can pull it off) to role-playe 2 PCs. That way if somebody dies, they have a back-up already infused into the party and you don't need to reroll a secondary one, come up with a background and reason to involve them, etc. Saves time and hassle.
    GreySage

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:50 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Maybe you should query your players! They may have ideas as to the type and flavor of the adventure they'd prefer. In this way, a democratic approach will garner greater player input and enthusiasm for your campaign. Just a thought.

This ^ I agree with.

If I were voting, I'd be torn between 1 and 2. I like the Viking possibilities and I love The Keep on the Borderlands as a 1st level adventure. However, I also love the Isle of Dread and piratey adventures, which a beginning in Saltmarsh would allow. Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is also a very good 1st level adventure.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 am  

Much depends on where the players are from.

Your "thief" is from Greyhawk City? May I ask how he traveled from Greyhawk to Gradsul -- or Ratik -- and is still only 1st level? Not one single Orc attack along the way? Wow! Shocked

As a DM, I've never asked my players where they wanted to start, because that leaves me trying to explain how in the heck they got there. There are not too many players today willing to devote that much time and effort to their PCs back story. Sad

Sad commentary on the "state" of today's game . . . but true none the less.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:28 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    Lanthorn wrote:

This ^ I agree with.

If I were voting, I'd be torn between 1 and 2. I like the Viking possibilities and I love The Keep on the Borderlands as a 1st level adventure. However, I also love the Isle of Dread and piratey adventures, which a beginning in Saltmarsh would allow. Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is also a very good 1st level adventure.

SirXaris

Yeah, this is a good idea. Build the campaign around what the players want to do and become.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:09 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

...The Keep on the Borderlands could be used to protect the pass from/to Bone March. Lots of good potential with Ratik. It gets my vote! Happy Cool

-I've recently re-started a Ratik campaign, starting summer 578, right before the crushing of the Vile Rune at the battle of the Loftwood (BTW,for info 'on Ratik 577-578, see Dragon #57; IIRC, or #56?).

In the notes, In Search of the Unknown (Quasqueton) is recommended for either Ratik, Tehn, or the Pale, so I put it in Kalmar Pass, and changed descriptions of a war a few years befoere against "the barbarians" to mean Orcs, not Suel, and the bad guys come from the south, not the north. Not that a player ever has to know that... Wink

The Keep struck me as being in warmer area than Ratik; I put Keep on the Borderlands at the junction of the Jewel and the Handmaiden at the tippy bottom of the Welkwood, just north of the Suss (I turn the map 90 degrees; again who needs to know). Anyway, if you use teh Keep for ratik, then based on levels and organization, the Keep would mostly be local yokels, not the Arch-baronial army.

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Much depends on where the players are from.

Your "thief" is from Greyhawk City? May I ask how he traveled from Greyhawk to Gradsul -- or Ratik -- and is still only 1st level? Not one single Orc attack along the way? Wow! Shocked .

-Agreed. One possibility is to have them start one place, and work their way to the place of adventure. You just need a travel rationale.

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    As a DM, I've never asked my players where they wanted to start, because that leaves me trying to explain how in the heck they got there. There are not too many players today willing to devote that much time and effort to their PCs back story. Sad

Sad commentary on the "state" of today's game . . . but true none the less.

-I've got it covered!

From an old thread; simply ignore all the mean, mean jokes made by the ignorant and unfeeling at my expense... Razz Laughing :

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...The questionaire isn't to decide whether or not to accept anyone as a player (so far, I've never rejected a potential player in my life), but to fit them into a character and into scenarios which they will enjoy. The more players you have, the harder it is. After a certain point, you won't be able to give everyone exactly what they want (it's hard enough to do that for one person), but you can at least avoid forcing them into something boring or distasteful...

Example: One player wants to be a viking-type beserker (CN preferred), the second is stuck on being a female half-elf ranger (CG or NG preferred), and the third wants to be an urbanite wizard (not fussy about anything else). In that case, the first player can be a Frost Barbarian of the barbarian class (make him a worshipper of Kord or Vatun), the second can come from the Timberway or Loftwood in Ratik, and the third could come from any large town or city. If I make the wizard come from Marner or Ratikhill, it looks like a perfect opportunity to use finish B1 at Quasqueton...

smillan_31 wrote:
    ...Yeah, this is a good idea. Build the campaign around what the players want to do and become.

...so, figure out what they want, and figure out which of the three comes closest to suiting their needs.
    One of the great things about the Flaneass is, that whatever you and the players want, there's probably something which will fill it...
    GreySage

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:30 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Much depends on where the players are from . . . Your "thief" is from Greyhawk City? May I ask how he traveled from Greyhawk to Gradsul -- or Ratik -- and is still only 1st level? Not one single Orc attack along the way? Wow! Shocked

-Agreed. One possibility is to have them start one place, and work their way to the place of adventure. You just need a travel rationale.

Correct. In my story, "That Infamous Key," Eileen is from the Caliphate of Ekbir and Wolfsire is an Ice Barbarian. They're adventuring in the City of Greyhawk, but . . .

. . . unbeknownst to some -- perhaps -- is that the story begins with them at 3rd level, not 1st level. This is a result of their shared adventures in getting to Greyhawk in the first place. Wink

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:32 am  
    Re: Where should I set a campaign?

smillan_31 wrote:

Have at it folks!

Why, Blackmoor of course! :)

But I had to say that, didn't I? ;)

-Havard

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 am  

Harvard, have you ever played through a Greyhawk Blackmoor campaign? Has anyone?

What happened? Had did you deal with the Egg of Coot? The City of the Gods? What was Castle Blackmoor like?

I've always wanted to go there myself.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 am  

Raphael wrote:
    Harvard, have you ever played through a Greyhawk Blackmoor campaign? Has anyone?

Hi there,
    most of my campaigns have simply been set in Arneson's Blackmoor without really thinking too much about what was going on outside the borders of that realm.

Quote:
    What happened? Had did you deal with the Egg of Coot? The City of the Gods? What was Castle Blackmoor like?

I've always wanted to go there myself.

Funny that you should ask. I just set up a forum at The Comeback Inn in order to explore these very topics. Its a pretty huge one though and perhaps outside the scope of this thread at least, but my version of the Egg of Coot owes a lot to the works of HP Lovecraft...

-Havard

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 pm  

I've been reading your stuff on the Comeback Inn, and you do make Blackmoor look pretty appealing. Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:37 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I've been reading your stuff on the Comeback Inn, and you do make Blackmoor look pretty appealing. Smile

Thanks Smilian! That means a lot! :)

If you do decide to have your game pay a visit to Blackmoor, make sure you let me know about it :)

-Havard
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: