JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Throne of the Sun
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Throne of the Sun
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:13 pm  
    Throne of the Sun

The original Throne of the Sun was the seat of the Overkings, until it was destroyed at the order of Ivid I, upon his ascension to power; broken into firewood for his soldiers, as it is said. Whether they copied the name or are being original, the current Throne of the Sun is the seat of the Theocrat of the Pale. That's all we know, so, any speculation on this subject. Did the Throne of the Sun have any magical powers or was it just an elaborate wooden chair? Both the Throne of Wood and the Malachite Throne have powers, not to mention the Throne of the Gods; why not the Throne of the Sun. By the name it's obviously referring to the Sun emblem of the Great Kingdom, but could its origin be even more ancient. The Flan were worshipers of Pelor in his original form; could the throne have come from a Flan kingdom, maybe the Kingdom of Ahlissa, and been captured by the Aerdi in their conquests. Could some group have spirited the original Throne of the Sun out of Rauxes, ahead of Ivid, replacing it with a forgery? Perhaps the Knight Protectors? Since it's all we've got, speculation?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 pm  
    Re: Throne of the Sun

smillan_31 wrote:
    The original Throne of the Sun was the seat of the Overkings, until it was destroyed at the order of Ivid I, upon his ascension to power; broken into firewood for his soldiers, as it is said. Whether they copied the name or are being original, the current Throne of the Sun is the seat of the Theocrat of the Pale. That's all we know, so, any speculation on this subject...

-Not familiar with this. Source?

I'd guess it's just the Sun/ Blinding Light thing.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:04 pm  
    Re: Throne of the Sun

jamesdglick wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:
    The original Throne of the Sun was the seat of the Overkings, until it was destroyed at the order of Ivid I, upon his ascension to power; broken into firewood for his soldiers, as it is said. Whether they copied the name or are being original, the current Throne of the Sun is the seat of the Theocrat of the Pale. That's all we know, so, any speculation on this subject...

-Not familiar with this. Source?

I'd guess it's just the Sun/ Blinding Light thing.

The GK's Throne of the Sun is from Paul Looby's "Mysterious Places: the Cauldron of Night".

I just mentioned The Palish Throne of the Sun as an aside. Since we don't have much to go on I'm just trying to start off some spit-balling or speculation on the original Throne of the Sun's origin and powers (if any). Seems like they wouldn't break up a magical argument into firewood, which argues against it having any powers. But that's where I make an argument that someone might have replaced it with a fake and smuggled it out of Rauzes during the Turmoil Between Crowns. Ivid probably would have known it was a fake, but would have pretended it wasn't just to save face.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:14 am  

Or it could just be that the Palish "Throne of the Sun" has to do with Pholtus, who is a sun/moon god.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:24 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Or it could just be that the Palish "Throne of the Sun" has to do with Pholtus, who is a sun/moon god.

-Didn't I just say that? Confused Laughing
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:14 pm  

You're both right. Happy

Plus, maybe when all the Pholtans migrated to the Pale they could have been saying, we're the "real" heirs to the Aerdi tradition, although I'm sure they would have just pretended like it wasn't originally referring to Sol/Pelor.
    GreySage

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:15 pm  

Pholtus may well have been the patron of House Garasteth when the kingdom was founded, and they may have named the royal throne in Rel Astra in his honor.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:56 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Pholtus may well have been the patron of House Garasteth when the kingdom was founded, and they may have named the royal throne in Rel Astra in his honor.

Hmmm, this makes me think... heretical thoughts. Evil Grin
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: